MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Solid career

And here's the play that ruined his career.

Morneau's injury

I remember watching this on TV and just thinking 'uh oh'. As far as baseball collisions go it didn't look that bad but Morneau clearly got his bell rung. He was in the middle of a career year. 187 OPS+ and an OPS of 1.055. His play fell off a cliff after that. Anyway, he had a great career and wish him best in his new role.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yu Darvish Choosing Among Six Teams

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Darvish has whittled the decision down to a handful of teams: the Rangers, Cubs, Astros, Twins and Yankees. Darvish himself has hardly been shy about stirring the pot on social media this winter, though, and he created an additional layer of intrigue tonight when he responded to the report by tweeting: “I know one more team is in.” The Dodgers may very well be the sixth team to which Darvish alluded, as Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times tweeted tonight that Los Angeles “remains in the mix” to bring Darvish back to L.A.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Notorious playoff choker with a major arm injury under his belt should not be getting a 7 year contract, that’s insanity. 7 years is crazy for any pitcher, only the generational talents like Kershaw are worth that risk. I’m glad he didn’t accept, hope Yankees avoid that future contract disaster, will be the Ellsbury if pitchers.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Notorious playoff choker with a major arm injury under his belt should not be getting a 7 year contract, that’s insanity. 7 years is crazy for any pitcher, only the generational talents like Kershaw are worth that risk. I’m glad he didn’t accept, hope Yankees avoid that future contract disaster, will be the Ellsbury if pitchers.

:huh:

2017 National League Division Series (NLDS) Game 3, Los Angeles Dodgers at Arizona Diamondbacks, October 9, 2017 | Baseball-Reference.com

2017 National League Championship Series (NLCS) Game 3, Los Angeles Dodgers at Chicago Cubs, October 17, 2017 | Baseball-Reference.com

You can't be a playoff "choker" half the time. Either you are or you aren't.

No one is going to dispute he got lit up in the World Series, but when you take this into account (How Yu Darvish tipped his pitches in the World Series), you realize it has nothing to do with choking and everything to do with making necessary mechanical adjustments.

Whether it's prudent to give a 7-year contract to a 31-year-old pitcher who's had TJ surgery is an entirely different issue.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Giving any 31 year old starter a 7 year deal is just a guaranteed horrible contract. Knowing that he's had Tommy John in 2015, it's only a matter of time before he completely falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->