MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Padres bring back Stammen for two years and $4.5M. Pretty good deal for both Stammen and the Padres. He quietly had a decent season after being out of the league due to injuries for a few years.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Would think someone gives him a 5/80-100 type deal.

Yeah, that's a pretty clown shoes offer. Don't see how they could have expected him to even consider that. This is likely the biggest contact he'll ever get so he's not going to short change that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Cobb is a good pitcher, but has never thrown 180 innings in a season, and he isn't a huge k guy. The Cubs offer was very fair for what he is, a # 3.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Cobb is a good pitcher, but has never thrown 180 innings in a season, and he isn't a huge k guy. The Cubs offer was very fair for what he is, a # 3.

I agree the lack of innings is a bit of a concern but i just don't see how he doesn't get an offer that is quite a bit better than the 3/42 that the Cubs offered.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I agree the lack of innings is a bit of a concern but i just don't see how he doesn't get an offer that is quite a bit better than the 3/42 that the Cubs offered.
I don't blame him for wanting/expecting more, nor do I blame the Cubs for making that offer. There are probably better matches elsewhere.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Jordan Zimmermann got 110/5, so its not unreasonable for Cobb to seek that.

Radio silence on Arrieta this winter. At this point, either he re-signs with the Cubs to rebuild his value, or he waits for a team to lose a key pitcher in ST and desperately gives him what he wants.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Jordan Zimmermann got 110/5, so its not unreasonable for Cobb to seek that.

Radio silence on Arrieta this winter. At this point, either he re-signs with the Cubs to rebuild his value, or he waits for a team to lose a key pitcher in ST and desperately gives him what he wants.
Zimmermann had a 4 year stretch prior to that contract where he pitched at least 195.2 innings in each year and had an era below 3.25 in 3 of those 4 years. It was still a bad deal when it was given out and teams aren't giving those deals out like they used to.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For a pitcher who will be 30 and has durability concerns, he'll be paid based on that, not his potential that people thought he had/has.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
they want the powah.

the yankees got the powah. we need the powah.

(nevermind that the red sox won 93 games with a bad manager*, bad pitching* and no powah)

*citation needed but nowhere to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->