MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
@Marc the Habs Fan @Cheese Wagstaff

Any kind of discussion on sabermetrics or BP link instantly is over my head. I mean you got people saying WELL SO AND SO PITCHED IN THIS ERA SO HIS ERA HAS TO BE ADJUSTED POSITIVELY OR NEGATIVELY AND HIS WAR IS 3 SO HE CONTRIBUTED 3 WINS TO THIS TEAM AS COMPARED TO A REPLACEMENT AAA PLAYER and I'm like Whoa. Slow down there fella. One at a time. I could sit down and read an article from FanGraphs or BP slowly, trying to read what they're trying to tell me, and it would still make no sense. And I'm like, what are you trying to tell me here. You're going to have to eli1 with pictures and cartoons and stuff.

I mean I respect the numbers game but my brain has long since lost the ability to understand mathematics and advanced statistics. I am aware of their popular use in front offices man but I cannot number crunch nothing and all these quantitative assessments just make my head hurt.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hosmer's 7 year offer was from the Royals, for $147M. Crazy money for him. In KC, I always got the sense that he loved it, but at the same time was waiting for his time to leave for a bigger city to party and play in. I don't see any team competing with that offer, unless he genuinely thinks another team will go crazy.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Hosmer's 7 year offer was from the Royals, for $147M. Crazy money for him. In KC, I always got the sense that he loved it, but at the same time was waiting for his time to leave for a bigger city to party and play in. I don't see any team competing with that offer, unless he genuinely thinks another team will go crazy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He'll be in San Diego and they'll regret it soon enough, just like their previous run of expensive acquisitions.

Reactions: Voight

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
@Marc the Habs Fan @Cheese Wagstaff

Any kind of discussion on sabermetrics or BP link instantly is over my head. I mean you got people saying WELL SO AND SO PITCHED IN THIS ERA SO HIS ERA HAS TO BE ADJUSTED POSITIVELY OR NEGATIVELY AND HIS WAR IS 3 SO HE CONTRIBUTED 3 WINS TO THIS TEAM AS COMPARED TO A REPLACEMENT AAA PLAYER and I'm like Whoa. Slow down there fella. One at a time. I could sit down and read an article from FanGraphs or BP slowly, trying to read what they're trying to tell me, and it would still make no sense. And I'm like, what are you trying to tell me here. You're going to have to eli1 with pictures and cartoons and stuff.

I mean I respect the numbers game but my brain has long since lost the ability to understand mathematics and advanced statistics. I am aware of their popular use in front offices man but I cannot number crunch nothing and all these quantitative assessments just make my head hurt.

Am I missing something here? Why am I mentioned? :laugh:

Just crazy money and term for Hosmer in my view.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
how is the money fair? he's eric hosmer! he just had his career year in a walk year. the rest of his career is a 107 ops+. never had an obp that began with 4.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes, but a lot of the time you don't see a sharp decline until their mid 30's.

Here is just one example that can be found online. Players tend to start declining at a noticeable rate, some point around age 30, and in their mid 30's, they start to fall off the cliff. The data also supports that players actually start to decline while they are still in their 2o's. On an individual basis, you'll have plenty of exceptions, but this is the data. Players today peak very early, and a lot of baseball players will peak in their very early years and not really improve.

Are Aging Curves Changing? | FanGraphs Baseball

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hosmer has been a borderline replacement player 2 of the past 4 seasons, depending on how you calculate WAR. His only positive on defense is his scooping ability, other than that, he's not a good defender. He's a very inconsistent hitter from year to year.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Here is just one example that can be found online. Players tend to start declining at a noticeable rate, some point around age 30, and in their mid 30's, they start to fall off the cliff. The data also supports that players actually start to decline while they are still in their 2o's. On an individual basis, you'll have plenty of exceptions, but this is the data. Players today peak very early, and a lot of baseball players will peak in their very early years and not really improve.

Are Aging Curves Changing? | FanGraphs Baseball

Couple more recent analyses, too: Older Hitters Are Declining, But It’s Not Because They Can’t Stand The Heat
The Beginner’s Guide To Aging Curves | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Miami Marlins stars Christian Yelich and J.T. Realmuto appear to be two of the most popular figures in the National League East.
In addition to the Atlanta Braves' apparent interest in the Marlins' pair, another division rival in the Washington Nationals are reportedly showing interest in both Yelich and Realmuto, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
Washington is reportedly open to either dealing for one of the two Marlins stars, or perhaps engineering a blockbuster deal to land both, per Frisaro, who added that a deal does not appear imminent.

Report: Nationals interested in Marlins' Realmuto, Yelich

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Perfect response by Keith

He is delusional, but do we expect him to say otherwise. Pulling the rug out from the fan base is one thing, pulling the rug out then being honest about it is another. They'll spin this for the next 5 years until they get another group of mlb players to sell.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Delusional is people believing that just because Jeter was a winner as a player means he'll be successful as an executive. It's going to blow up in his face unless they can scout and develop talent like crazy.

Baseball in Florida will always have to go through the extreme cycles, it would be best for everyone to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->