MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

In a surprising turn of events, the rebuilding Chicago White Sox emerged Wednesday as the most aggressive suitor for Orioles third baseman Manny Machado, according to major-league sources.

The White Sox want to land Machado and sign him long-term before he becomes a free agent at the end of the season, sources said. However, the possibility also exists that the White Sox could flip Machado to another club — most likely the New York Yankees — and secure additional prospects for what already is one of the game’s best farm systems, if not the best.

The White Sox engaged in multiple conversations with the Orioles on Wednesday and discussed a package for Machado that would include either right-hander Lucas Giolito or right-hander Michael Kopech but not both, according to sources.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Anyone else confused as to why so many bad/rebuilding teams are willing to spend what it would take for Machado, especially when he wants to test free agency?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They won't be bad for much longer. The farm is loaded and they are also willing to spend money.

Right but theres teams like the Yankees/Dodgers who already have a top team, are willing to spend and have a loaded farm system.

Anyways we'll see what happens but my gut is he ends up a Yankee or Dodger.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

What sense does it make to trade your good prospects and then flip him for more? A lateral move no? Unless Baltimore doesn't want to directly deal within the division but even then, if the Sox price is too high Cashman can tell them where to put their heads and just wait a year to get him.

Anyone else confused as to why so many bad/rebuilding teams are willing to spend what it would take for Machado, especially when he wants to test free agency?

They will try and sell him on the fact they have top prospects and wont be bad much longer, if he re-signs he can be the face of the team and be the one to lead them back to relevance.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What sense does it make to trade your good prospects and then flip him for more? A lateral move no? Unless Baltimore doesn't want to directly deal within the division but even then, if the Sox price is too high Cashman can tell them where to put their heads and just wait a year to get him.

They will try and sell him on the fact they have top prospects and wont be bad much longer, if he re-signs he can be the face of the team and be the one to lead them back to relevance.

If I'm Machado, I'm not sold on that plan. What if some of the prospects fail or don't live up to expectations, and now you're locked in long-term to a non-contender with a contract only a very select few clubs can take on.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If I'm Machado, I'm not sold on that plan. What if some of the prospects fail or don't live up to expectations, and now you're locked in long-term to a non-contender with a contract only a very select few clubs can take on.

I agree 100% especially because hes bound to sign a 10-15 year deal worth 35-40 million a year. But teams will try to court him.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Braves picked up Anyelo Gomez from the Yankees in the Rule 5. Based on stats alone, seems like a great pickup for the pen next year. 1.92 ERA in 70 innings, most at AA.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Tampa's beat writer seems to think Colome to the Cardinals is very close to being done. Inferred that the hold up may be in part waiting for the Cardinals trades yesterday to be completed.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The problem with Baltimore wanting pitching in return for Machado is that they'll likely screw up those arms.

Reactions: Voight

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Are the Cards still chasing Donaldson?

Shapiro and co. need to figure out a game plan for this season, whether or not they want to build around JD or blow it up altogether.

If he's moved I hope it's for a good enough package.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
cards still have some top prospects to give away for JD or Machado

would be surprised if they didn't land one of them

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Dumbo Dave is going to have his version of the Gonzalez/Crawford deals with this one. (ok that's a little harsh but I can't see this working out too well). & knowing how much he sucks at contract negotiations, both are going to get what they asked for, which is too much.

Are the Cards still chasing Donaldson?

Shapiro and co. need to figure out a game plan for this season, whether or not they want to build around JD or blow it up altogether.

If he's moved I hope it's for a good enough package.

Shatkins would be dumb enough to trade him but I hope they learned with the EE situation that you need to keep him. if they trade him, attendance is going to nosedive and the team isn't going to have any notable position players (sorry Smoak). Donaldson has come to love the city and they need to sign him to an extension rather than trade him and kill the momentum they've built up the last couple of years.

Certainly appears that way. They've liked him for quite some time. Rumor has it that we nearly acquired him last season so it would make sense.

I don't believe that rumor one bit. For one, he was hurt quite a bit during the season and when he was healthy he was on fire. They were also in the playoff race most of the season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think the Martinez contract will be worth it. IMO, he's easily a top 10 hitter in the game. Perfect DH for Boston.

It's the Hosmer part I'd be worried about if I'm Boston.

Machado to White Sox is dumb if no extension is in place

Since he is saying he wants to test FA the White Sox should end pursuit

O's won't deal the Yankees Machado. It may make sense for the Sox to pull a Chapman. Trade for him at a reduced rate and sell high at the deadline to the Yankees.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I'm hoping the Red Sox give Hosmer whatever ridiculous contract he's asking for. I love how Boras just makes up new phrases to describe this player, since he's trash but has won a lot.

Now, JD Martinez on the other hand... that's a terrifying slugger. Hope he stays far away from the AL East.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Let's see here
Is he a boras client? Yes then of course there's the random boras client to Nats rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad