MLB commissioner says Rogers Centre 'out of date'

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
League won't go for it I'm sure.

Have MTL build a new 40k capacity stadium so they can get their own team. Jays play in it for a year to bring back baseball interest in the city while they work on their own stadium. Then Jays move back to their new digs in Toronto, MTL will be crazy with baseball fever and ready for a team.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Have MTL build a new 40k capacity stadium so they can get their own team. Jays play in it for a year to bring back baseball interest in the city while they work on their own stadium. Then Jays move back to their new digs in Toronto, MTL will be crazy with baseball fever and ready for a team.

That, they might go for. But not in Stade Olympique.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Nice idea, but that would suck for everyone in Toronto. :laugh:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The issue for the jays is A: the province and city won't fund a new park, the ACC was funded with no public money I believe. B: The location of the rogers centre is just too good to move the team to the suburbs. It's right by multiple modes of mass transit, a great pedestrian areas and right downtown in Toronto, probably a top 3-5 location in the league. C. There's likely to be massive rogers centre renos before this happens. D: If it happens, the only other locations that would work would be Downsview park or the Portlands in Toronto, for areas that are accessible by transit + have enough space to make a new park.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Good luck with that.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Define "renovate", though.

New seats, new amenities?

New roof? :laugh:

Yes?

They could theoretically begin at the end of the baseball season (October/November) and they would have about 16 months until the re-opening. I imagine you could get a lot of things done in that amount of time. Of course Rogers will never go for it because why would they? They have no incentive to do the renovations really but just saying it's not like they wouldn't have the time or resources to do it if the MTL plan actually panned out.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yes?

They could theoretically begin at the end of the baseball season (October/November) and they would have about 16 months until the re-opening. I imagine you could get a lot of things done in that amount of time. Of course Rogers will never go for it because why would they? They have no incentive to do the renovations really but just saying it's not like they wouldn't have the time or resources to do it if the MTL plan actually panned out.

Just asking, that's all.

When I think of a new ballpark, I think of just tearing down what's there and building a new one on top of it.

Also, the way the team's playing right now I think it's safe to say they won't have to worry about November. :laugh:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Just asking, that's all.

When I think of a new ballpark, I think of just tearing down what's there and building a new one on top of it.

Also, the way the team's playing right now I think it's safe to say they won't have to worry about November. :laugh:

Yes, because this was going to happen after this season. Forgot to mention that. Contractor and his crew are all ready to go. Saw them at home depot today getting shovels and hard hats.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yes, because this was going to happen after this season. Forgot to mention that. Contractor and his crew are all ready to go. Saw them at home depot today getting shovels and hard hats.

Hey, like you mentioned earlier there's a good chance Rogers doesn't do a damn thing based off those comments, because they certainly don't have to, and repairs cost money. I'm fine either way, really. But there's a reason the SkyDo-....er, the Rogers Center routinely appears in the bottom third of any list of top MLB parks.

A facelift would be nice, that's all. We can certainly dream, we're good at it. :laugh:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hey, like you mentioned earlier there's a good chance Rogers doesn't do a damn thing based off those comments, because they certainly don't have to, and repairs cost money. I'm fine either way, really. But there's a reason the SkyDo-....er, the Rogers Center routinely appears in the bottom third of any list of top MLB parks.

A facelift would be nice, that's all. We can certainly dream, we're good at it. :laugh:

I was more responding to your snarky comment about the Jays performance. It's obviously all a pipe dream. Shit isn't gonna happen until the dome starts falling down. I don't call it by the other name.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was more responding to your snarky comment about the Jays performance. It's obviously all a pipe dream. **** isn't gonna happen until the dome starts falling down. I don't call it by the other name.

Well, they were working on the roof last month so maybe the repairs will happen sooner than we think. Maybe that was a one-off though, who knows.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, they were working on the roof last month so maybe the repairs will happen sooner than we think. Maybe that was a one-off though, who knows.

That was a necessity because of the ice storm. The roof will be open for most of the remaining home games is my bet so it will likely be a non-issue and again, unless it is something pressing, Rogers ain't doing shit all.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
People are actually hypothesizing that the Jays will build a new stadium!? Management has made it clear that renovations will be the only option. The location of the current stadium cannot be beat and a new 43-45,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof would cost $1 billion or more.

Rogers is a pretty cheap owner having only spent approx. $50 million - $70 million on improvements to Rogers Centre in the nearly 20 years they have owned the team. This after being gifted the stadium for essentially nothing. They are contemplating a reno either in the $200 - $250 million range or something in the range of $400 - $500 million. The latter would be more ideal but with Rogers I am not holding my breathe so I expect the cheaper option.

According to the interviews I have read with Shapiro (Rogers' mouthpiece), they are looking at offering a greater variety of experiences to fans that more closely represents the newer (ie Target Field, SunTrust Park) or recently renovated (ie. Progressive Field) ballparks out there. The recently added Flightdeck in centrefield is an example of this alternative experience. I have heard there is actually an option on the table to flip the field 90 degrees to the right to have the outfield facing the CN tower...although I'm sure that option would be part of the expensive $400 - $500 million reno option so I'm not holding my breathe.

One reason to be concerned with the quality of future renos or Shapiro's comments in this article:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/03/22/blue-jays-continue-push-for-rogers-centre-renovation/

We have both an infrastructure need and a business-model need to renovate the stadium. We have presented proposals for that. They have been embraced by Rogers executives and by (CEO) Joe Natale and (CFO) Tony Staffieri, and everyone down. It’s just a matter of determining funding sources and timing. That’s not within our control, so we continue to operate the business and understand it’s a huge amount of money and we are the only major-league baseball team that is asked to completely privately finance a renovation of this scale.
I think our fans need to understand that. Every other of our 29 competitors receives some public funding for renovations of this scale, or bigger or smaller, even new stadiums. This burden falls completely on our ownership, so in light of that, it’s a big undertaking and one that needs to be thought about carefully in light of all the priorities out there.

Comments like this seem to indicate the renos will not be as impressive as they could be or should be because the government will not provide any funding, as they shouldn't. It seems like a pre-emptive way of gently letting the fans down. Of course, Shapiro is either lying or misinformed when stating all 29 other teams received some funding for renos as the funding for $500+ million reno for Wrigley Field was 100% private. Similarly, the Dodgers have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on renovations to Dodger Stadium the past few years and plan on spending more prior to the upcoming all-star game in 2020. All private.

Those are just two recent examples I found. Both large market teams with the well-heeled fanbase and corporate support to pull of 100% private financing...just like the Blue Jays. No excuses for Rogers to not follow a similar funding path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad