MLB commissioner says Rogers Centre 'out of date'

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's not even the worst park in its' own division.

But it's the oldest. It seems like in the major sport climate we have even the best and most famous arenas become 'sub-par' if they're older than 25 years.

What does Manfred mean by no 'millennial areas' ?????? :dunno:

Presumably he means the club/bar type areas that a lot of parks now have where 'millennials' can socialize instead of watching the games.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It is 30 next year so you never know, the time for a new stadium for the Blue Jays could be near. We'll have to see what happens.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
But it's the oldest. It seems like in the major sport climate we have even the best and most famous arenas become 'sub-par' if they're older than 25 years..

Yeah can’t all be Boston with that spanking new Fenway Park, heard about that Herman Ruth guy they got from Baltimore to have breaking the place in? I feel like he might be a decent player some day.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Well Rogers has over $30 billion in assets so they should be able to build a replacement for themselves easily.

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Any new park would need to have a retractable roof again....sadly, that's mandatory in Toronto due to Canada's wild swings in weather for spring.

There's no other choice there.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Well Rogers has over $30 billion in assets so they should be able to build a replacement for themselves easily.

They can but they’re won’t. I’m not even sure where they would build a new stadium. Toronto has the most built up downtown core out of any city in North America besides New York City. Probably something on the Lakeshore but I’m drawing a blank when thinking of potential areas.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
But it's the oldest. It seems like in the major sport climate we have even the best and most famous arenas become 'sub-par' if they're older than 25 years.

Presumably he means the club/bar type areas that a lot of parks now have where 'millennials' can socialize instead of watching the games.

nope...Fenway

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah can’t all be Boston with that spanking new Fenway Park, heard about that Herman Ruth guy they got from Baltimore to have breaking the place in? I feel like he might be a decent player some day.

Fenway is a special case as a 'historical landmark'. In any event it has been extensively renovated and updated over the last 10-15 years which included added premium seating and better entertainment options. Fenway today isn't the same park it was 30 years ago. It seems like Manfred is suggesting they do the same in Toronto, though he probably wouldn't say that if not prompted by Blue Jays ownership.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They can but they’re won’t. I’m not even sure where they would build a new stadium. Toronto has the most built up downtown core out of any city in North America besides New York City. Probably something on the Lakeshore but I’m drawing a blank when thinking of potential areas.

You could do something around the Portlands area rest of the downtown core but it isn't well developed for transit. There is the exhibition grounds where BMO field is. There is a lot of unused area there but that seems unlikely. The only other place that could work but is on the north side of town would be downsview park.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You could do something around the Portlands area rest of the downtown core but it isn't well developed for transit. There is the exhibition grounds where BMO field is. There is a lot of unused area there but that seems unlikely. The only other place that could work but is on the north side of town would be downsview park.

Downsview has the land and the transit connection but it’s not a very nice part of Toronto (safe enough but compared to Old Toronto it’s a dump with the luxury mall being the only redeeming factor).

Exhibition Grounds seem like the best bet although I agree it’s unlikely.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Downsview has the land and the transit connection but it’s not a very nice part of Toronto (safe enough but compared to Old Toronto it’s a dump with the luxury mall being the only redeeming factor).

Exhibition Grounds seem like the best bet although I agree it’s unlikely.

Yeah, I agree. They'd have to develop the hell out of the downsview area to make it viable. Although to be honest the isn't much good right around the dome or ACC but you can easily get to good stuff.

I honestly don't know what they do with the land the exhibition grounds are on for 11 months out of the year but it just seems like it will stay that way forever

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Yeah, I agree. They'd have to develop the hell out of the downsview area to make it viable. Although to be honest the isn't much good right around the dome or ACC but you can easily get to good stuff.

I honestly don't know what they do with the land the exhibition grounds are on for 11 months out of the year but it just seems like it will stay that way forever

True but more things to do than in Downsview. Right now is there honestly anything to do besides Yorkdale Mall? I’m in Downsview quite a bit for business and it’s honestly not a place I’d go for fun. Area definitely has potential with it being a major 401 interchange (though it needs upgrading) and a major TTC hub but I doubt Rogers wants to invest in developing it.

At least with the CN Tower area you have the “wow” factor of it being among hundreds of skyscrapers. It’s a destination in itself because of that. It’s also quite close to Union Station.

There’s always something going on in the Exhibition grounds just nothing major. I think you could fit in a baseball stadium and not significantly disrupt the CNE.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

To save money maybe they could build some bars on the playing field, and convertt the mound into a stage?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
True but more things to do than in Downsview. Right now is there honestly anything to do besides Yorkdale Mall? I’m in Downsview quite a bit for business and it’s honestly not a place I’d go for fun. Area definitely has potential with it being a major 401 interchange (though it needs upgrading) and a major TTC hub but I doubt Rogers wants to invest in developing it.

At least with the CN Tower area you have the “wow” factor of it being among hundreds of skyscrapers. It’s a destination in itself because of that. It’s also quite close to Union Station.

There’s always something going on in the Exhibition grounds just nothing major. I think you could fit in a baseball stadium and not significantly disrupt the CNE.

Like I said, there would need to be major development around downsview. It will happen eventually, just like everywhere in the city. It would just be nice if it was something better than your typical Jack Astor's and the like.

I agree about the wow factor of down by the dome. There's the cn tower, Ripley's Aquarium, steam whistle, rec room. The restaurants and bars stink

Reactions: Voight

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't see any reason why the Jays need to play in a new stadium. Rogers Centre seems perfectly fine to me. What am I missing?

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I don't see any reason why the Jays need to play in a new stadium. Rogers Centre seems perfectly fine to me. What am I missing?

The Blue Jays would like to make more money and they’re going to try and get a billion dollars of taxpayer money to help them do it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Port Lands. Where D Ford wanted to put an NFL stadium.

A little east of where they are now. But would kill the iconic picture of the Sky dome & CN Tower together.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Good one. I chuckled.

I believe AT&T Park is the only MLB stadium that was built without public money. & its one of the few in NA sports done privately.

Exhibition is the most viable place downtown.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
The Skydome does have some issues, but I would guess there is a less than 1% chance that the Jays would move elsewhere in Toronto. The only other possible location is in the Portlands and the construction cost would be astronomical as that is all reclaimed land (which is the cause of some issues currently at Skydome).

I can't see them wanting to deal with the site constraints at Exhibition Place either. The historic footprint of Exhibition Stadium overlaps BMO Field and the Enercare Centre plus the new hotel beside Beanfield.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't think it's a great secret that the stadium is probably due for replacement.

I can see 2 options:

1) As people have suggested, the Portlands. To me, the lack of transit there is easily remedied with a light rail system out of Union Station and can follow existing, derelict, rail lines. I would like this to be part of an overall strategy for the area. Maybe beaches and some other anchors.

2) The old Ontario Place site. Not sure what's up with that.

One thing to keep in mind when looking for a site is flight paths for Billy Bishop. Though, I think things can be worked out so as not to interfere.

Also, I don't think putting it a Downsview a good idea. Far too often we see stadiums and arenas built outside the downtown core and they don't do well.

As for the weather, I have a hard time believing that we NEED a roof when neither of Minnesota or Detroit (who's weather and ours are basically the same) have them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad