MLB Can't Be Serious About This Possible Rule Change

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
There's no way this could possibly go through........is there ????

from cbssports.com:

On "The Rich Eisen Show" Tuesday, the host and namesake mentioned that there are "whispers" from some execs that there's a discussion to let a trailing team in the ninth inning use any three hitters it wants to start the inning, regardless of where the batting order is.

The unbelievably flawed rationale, via a text Eisen received: "No other sport has the best players sitting on the bench in the final minutes of a game. Imagine LeBron [James] or Tom Brady or Sidney Crosby or [Cristiano] Ronaldo watching on the sidelines."

(DEEP SIGH)

OK, so I've got "A Few Good Men" on my TV right now and I can't help but want to scream in the direction of this anonymous exec, "should we or should we not follow the advice of the galactically stupid?!?!"

What if LeBron had fouled out? What if the Patriots don't have the ball? What if there's a shootout in hockey or soccer and the best player in the world only gets one of the five shots instead of all five? Should the NBA have a rule to let the best players back in for the final minutes? The NFL should make sure the best QBs get on the field for the final minute, even if the other team has the ball and keeps getting first downs? The NHL should allow the same player to take all five shootout shots?

Full story here: www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-to-allow-any-player-to-bat-in-9th-lets-discuss-the-dumbest-rule-proposal-ever/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Worst idea ever???

MLB thinking about letting trailing team bat any player in 9th

Rich Eisen, on his radio show Wednesday, said an MLB executive told him of an idea about allowing the manager of the trailing team to bat whomever he chooses in the ninth inning in an effort to ramp up more excitement.

“Baseball is the only sport by mere randomness and happenstance, the best players are not out on the field with the game on the line,” Eisen said.

“Potentially down by two, ninth inning, you got 7-8-9 up. You can pinch-hit but sometimes your best hitters are not coming off the bench. In the ninth inning, the ninth inning only. Not eighth inning, not the seventh, not extras -- ninth inning only, you are allowed to send up to the plate as your first three hitters whoever you want. … If 3-4-5 hitter goes out in order in the eighth inning, ninth inning the manager sends 3-4-5 right back out there.”

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Can't believe they'll go through with it. Punish the team that's ahead in the 9th. Baseball is different than other team sports. Pretty dumb

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Honestly this sounds like Eisen needed to fill airtime today. If there was any indication MLB was seriously considering this I'd be outraged, but for now it's best just to ignore.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Yeah lets turn MLB into backyard wiffleball, beer league softball, childrens t-ball.

Actually even in our backyard wiffleball games we wouldn't have allowed it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I doubt it's serious, but if that ever happened, it could completely turn me off from the game.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I like that they threw in a hockey reference. Gotta be part of the Big 4 now!

But yeah, obviously not happening. It could have come up in the Winter Meetings as a throwaway idea. I'd only believe it if they were testing it in the Minor Leagues.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Why stop there? Just get rid of the lineup altogether and let the manager choose whoever he wants to bat each inning? Call it the TJ Oshie rule. So if for example, Mike Trout leads off with a double, put in a pinch runner and let him bat again.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
So much for the lineup cards.

That would ruin the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 of the 2001 World Series.

If it ever happened it would only be a regular season rule. This would be to prevent a very long game from destroying a team’s pen. The Mets season last year largely fell apart upon a big extra inning win in Miami in April where they burned the bullpen to the ground, then proceeded to play 5 games that were close thereafter where they still were without Familia and nobody in that pen ever recovered from that abuse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad