Mizral's 2004 Entry Draft Preview (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Mizral, i asked earlier in the thread what u thought about guys like Lisin and Korpikowski.... do u see them being 2nd round players???

i myself thought they would be available in the 20's of the 1st round....

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Yeah, to me they are more 2nd rounders. Every year it seems there are 2 or 3 players from Europe to have a great tournament or two and expect that to be their calling card into the 1st round. In my mind, if you're going to have guys like Korpikoski in the 1st round, you may as well put Sami Lepisto in there based on his WJC too.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
thanx..... i got another question for ya since i get get a response in the other thread....

where do you see the likes of schwarz and montoya lining up i regards to some of the other goalie prospects? i assume they are a step below guys like lehtonen and fleury, but what bout ouellet, toivonen, miller, leneveu, emery etc.....

obviously it sounds good when u hear that a guy is being compared to marty turco (montoya) or dominik hasek (schwarz) but its probably not logical to assume they'll reach that top flight potential anytime soon...

thanx for any help provided

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Goaltenders take a while, and you're right to say they won't reach their potential any time soon. The 'prime' years for a goaltender are about ages 28 - 33 or so, whereas the prime for a skater is a little younger than that.

Schwarz and Montoya are just as good as anyone not named Fleury or Lehtonen right now. In fact, I would say it's possible, particularly in Schwarz' case, that they could be better down the road.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Question Mizral, for Zajac, how concerned are you on his bust potential? After all, he's a year older than most prospects and still playing in the BCHL. I would expect him to dominate a league like that at that age. And any insight into why he didn't get a look on a WHL team this year?

Thanks. Great preview.

YellHockey*

Dr.Sens(e) said:
Question Mizral, for Zajac, how concerned are you on his bust potential? After all, he's a year older than most prospects and still playing in the BCHL. I would expect him to dominate a league like that at that age. And any insight into why he didn't get a look on a WHL team this year?

I'm not presuming to speak for Mizral but I'm guessing that Zajac is looking for an NCAA scholarship and avoided the WHL to not risk his eligibility.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
I'm not presuming to speak for Mizral but I'm guessing that Zajac is looking for an NCAA scholarship and avoided the WHL to not risk his eligibility.

Thanks. I sort of meant this past year in terms of why he didn't play in the WHL. Or for that matter, why he didn't play NCAA. He was certainly of age to do either.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Thanks. I sort of meant this past year in terms of why he didn't play in the WHL. Or for that matter, why he didn't play NCAA. He was certainly of age to do either.

Well the important thing to remember is that you don't have to be "of age" to play NCAA, but you do have to be graduated from High School. You do have to actually attend the college remember. Now, I can't say for sure that Zajac was still in high school this year, I know that Zajac is a year older than guys like Thelen, Pineault, and O'Neill, but they all fasttracked their education to get into college a year earlier than they would have normally.

Last edited:

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:

I have a feeling it had to do with the fact that he felt he would get so much more minutes and ability to play in all situations in the BCHL, whereas in the WHL he'd be further down the list. Also, Zajac truely was not very physically mature before this year. Honestly, he still haven't completely matured physically (he is a late bloomer perhaps?).

And the competition is worrysome, but I would be more worried for a guy like Chucko. There's domination, then there's what Zajac was doing. He really was destroying the league. He was the MVP of the whole frickin' league (they hand out awards for both conferences, but he would likely win it if there was only one award).

He'll be playing for the North Dakota Fighting Sioux next year, and we'll get a good idea about his true offensive potential next year. However, I have a feeling this is a guy who has too long been ignored because of the BCHL, which I should add has gotten a lot better than it used to be.

As I said before in other threads, I think this guy would be a great, great pick in the bottom half of the 1st round.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Mizral said:
Yeah, to me they are more 2nd rounders. Every year it seems there are 2 or 3 players from Europe to have a great tournament or two and expect that to be their calling card into the 1st round. In my mind, if you're going to have guys like Korpikoski in the 1st round, you may as well put Sami Lepisto in there based on his WJC too.

Actually, Korpikoski played better and better at 3 international events- showing a greater level of skill each time. Therefore, his movement over the course of the year is very much an upward arrow. Lepisto had a great WJC, which is mid-season, but did not really do SO much in league action since then to validate that potential. Also, he's a year and a half older than Korpikoski. That arrow looks pretty straight. And considering the draft is a projection...

puckguy

Jun 2, 2004
Mizral said:
And the competition is worrysome, but I would be more worried for a guy like Chucko.

Great info, Mizral. Really enjoyed reading your take on these guys.

Curious about your comment relating to Chucko. A lot of people think that he's an even better prospect than Zajac because he's a year younger and was the team captain.

What is your perspective?

Thanks again for a great overview.

puckguy

Jun 2, 2004
puckguy said:

Curious about your comment relating to Chucko. A lot of people think that he's an even better prospect than Zajac because he's a year younger and was the team captain.

Did I say something wrong? :dunno:

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
great job Jay. Lots of hard work went into this and, while I may not totally agree, I certainly am smarter for having read it. I did find this error that you should correct:

NHL Potential: #1 Goaltender
Player Comparison: Dan Cloutier

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
puckguy said:

For what it's worth, there are reports Chucko's skating is really quite poor, and his offensive instincts and passing are not in Zajac's class. And there are already questions about how good Zajac's abilities really are due to his age and competition level.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Mr Sakich said:
great job Jay. Lots of hard work went into this and, while I may not totally agree, I certainly am smarter for having read it. I did find this error that you should correct:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
puckguy said:

I don't think he's a better prospect than Zajac for several reasons. As mentioned, his skating is not nearly that of Zajac's. In general, his puck skills aren't in Zajac's league.

Chucko is the Captain of the Silverbacks, correct. Zajac wears an A.

I would argue that Chucko benefited greatly from having a talent like Zajac's on his line. While is was certainly a symbiotic relationship, it was clear that Zajac was the straw the stirred the drink in Salmon Arm this past season.

I think where I truely saw so much potential in Zajac, regardless of his age or competition, is the way he handles himself on the ice. In a lot of ways, he looks like a professional hockey player already. While you might say he's a year older than Chucko, I could come back and argue that he scored way more goals, points, and was the MVP of the interior conference and probobly the entire league.

Chucko is better suited to the physical game and is a year younger, but just pure talent wise, there is a big gap. Zajac just has 'something' that Chucko doesn't have.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Zajac in college. Don't be surprised if he puts up really great numbers though. I could see him really becoming a dominant force in the NCAA too.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Player: Ovechkin
Comparisson: Sakic

I'm really interested to know what you see between these two Mizral.

Granted I've seen nothing of AO but clips but I think its pretty safe to say that if a kid at 18 is a physical and reasonably defensively responsible already at such a young age (from the little I remember of Sakic early on he was just a scorer.....not really defensively responsible and certainly not physical) then he's quite likely to be even more physical/defensive as he matures....which certainly doesn't sound like Sakic (not a blast against Sakic in any way). To me it sounds a lot more like a goal scoring Forsberg more than Sakic. Not tryin to rip you at all, just want to know what gave you that impression.

Stellar job on the list btw.........musta taken you forever.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Add this one to your resume when you apply to TSN or Hockey News. Nice job. Clear, Concise, Interesting.

:teach:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Mr Sakich said:

Most wins for a goaltender in the past 3 years other than Brodeur...

puckguy

Jun 2, 2004
Jay Thompson said:
I don't think he's a better prospect than Zajac for several reasons. As mentioned, his skating is not nearly that of Zajac's. In general, his puck skills aren't in Zajac's league.

Chucko is the Captain of the Silverbacks, correct. Zajac wears an A.

I would argue that Chucko benefited greatly from having a talent like Zajac's on his line. While is was certainly a symbiotic relationship, it was clear that Zajac was the straw the stirred the drink in Salmon Arm this past season.

I think where I truely saw so much potential in Zajac, regardless of his age or competition, is the way he handles himself on the ice. In a lot of ways, he looks like a professional hockey player already. While you might say he's a year older than Chucko, I could come back and argue that he scored way more goals, points, and was the MVP of the interior conference and probobly the entire league.

Chucko is better suited to the physical game and is a year younger, but just pure talent wise, there is a big gap. Zajac just has 'something' that Chucko doesn't have.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Zajac in college. Don't be surprised if he puts up really great numbers though. I could see him really becoming a dominant force in the NCAA too.

Fair enough. Thanks again for the info!

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
b-mad said:

Ovechkin is one of those guys that I've been watching for a while now. It all started back in 2002 in the Vancouver Sun when Gary Mason (writer for the Sun) made a trip to Russia and did several articles, one was a full page on potential future superstar Alexandre Ovechkin. From then on I've watched what I can of him (seen nearly every clip posted on this website, WJC games, and read up quite a bit on Russianprospects.com, even talked to a Russian scout in regards to him).

While Sakic is not a perfect example, let me tell you exactly why I like the comparison better than any other:

- Both have exceptionally quick shots. I would say Sakic has the quickest release in the entire NHL, and Ovechkin's release is very similar.

- Both are exceptionally modest and professional off the ice. Ovechkin mimics Sakic's manerisms off the ice in many ways.

- Ovechkin, like Sakic, is an equal opportunity offensive player - this is why I do not think he's much like Forsberg in particular. About half the time, Sakic will shoot, the other half he'll pass. Forsberg at times tries to force the pass a little much. Ovechkin is more like Sakic here, in that he seems to pass and shoot about an equal amount of times on offensive forays, which makes him especially dangerous.

- Both play a 'simple' game on the ice. This isn't to say they aren't creative, but they don't try to deke through players when it's unnecessary. Neither player is scared of dumping and chasing.

Ovechkin is bigger and will be more physical than Sakic, and Sakic seems to have exceptional leadership qualities that I haven't yet seen from Ovechkin (he didn't step up and lead as much as we hoped at the WJC's for instance). So there are some differences there as well. However, I like Sakic as a comparison the best for those reasons above.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
b-mad said:

Granted I've seen nothing of AO but clips but I think its pretty safe to say that if a kid at 18 is a physical and reasonably defensively responsible already at such a young age (from the little I remember of Sakic early on he was just a scorer.....not really defensively responsible and certainly not physical).

I was taking it to compare Ovechkin to Sakic's current play, not how he played at 18. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad