Mitchell Marner vs Sebastian Aho

Your choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah he looks to be the real deal. I used to think it was a mistake not to pick aho but seeing dermott i think i can forgive the leafs....altho with aho on that team their offense would be even better which is hard to imagine..

Aho could be matthews winger with nylander :/
aho is a great young player and he never should have gotten outside the top 10. I've been a fan since his 16 or 17 year old wjc.

but given the choice right now i take dermott. not because i feel hes better, i have no doubt most teams take aho first rather easily. we just need dermott so much more.

the leafs and canes back to back set of players in that draft are probably pretty damn close as a duo so I wouldn't really knock either team for what they got.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What does Carolina's ability (or lack thereof) to "draft or sign good forwards" have to do with Auston Matthews? It isn't as if Toronto signed him or had a difficult decision to make in drafting him.

Did you mean that Carolina needs to be more lucky in the Draft Lottery?

Don't be stupid and draft Haydn Fleury over William Nylander would be a start.

Leafs got lucky with Matthews draft. That's it.

They used their brains to draft Nylander, Marner, Kadri and Rielly.

Rielly was injured for most of the season in which he was drafted and the Leafs scouted him hard to know he would bounce back and be a good player.

Kadri could easily have been Kassian instead and yet the Leafs made the right choice.

Nylander could easily have been Ritchie and once again the Leafs made the right choice.

2015 draft was star studded so even if the Leafs didn't get Marner they would have gotten a top talent.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Don't be stupid and draft Haydn Fleury over William Nylander would be a start.

Leafs got lucky with Matthews draft. That's it.

They used their brains to draft Nylander, Marner, Kadri and Rielly.

Rielly was injured for most of the season in which he was drafted and the Leafs scouted him hard the year before to know he would bounce back and be a good player.

Kadri could easily have been Kassian instead and yet the Leafs made the right choice.

Nylander could easily have been Ritchie and once again the Leafs made the right choice.

2015 draft was star studded so even if the Leafs didn't get Marner they would have gotten a top talent.

No disagreements here, but aim higher. Maybe they draft an even better talent like Ehlers.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Like I said, it can hardly be considered Aho's faul that the team sucks as a whole, with a bad roster and maybe the worst #1 goalie in the league. If it wasn't for Aho, Car would be rock bottom in the standings instead of contending for the playoffs. If one would've swap Marner with Aho, Car would have been doomed.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Like I said, it can hardly be considered Aho's faul that the team sucks as a whole, with a bad roster and maybe the worst #1 goalie in the league. If it wasn't for Aho, Car would be rock bottom in the standings instead of contending for the playoffs. If one would've swap Marner with Aho, Car would have been doomed.

So you think Aho is going to be a finalist for the Hart? He would have to be if he is the difference between a near last place team in the league vs a fringe playoff team.

This year McDavid hasn’t been able to do this in Edmonton but Aho has achieved this in Carolina..........amazing.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Yeah he looks to be the real deal. I used to think it was a mistake not to pick aho but seeing dermott i think i can forgive the leafs....altho with aho on that team their offense would be even better which is hard to imagine..

Aho could be matthews winger with nylander :/
Bracco could be on the other side-again.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Marner is more productive in 16mins/game than Aho is in 18mins/game.

Marner, not particularly close

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marner is the better player, overall.

Aho scores a few more goals, but Marner will get you more points and controls the entire game most nights. Electric player, who keeps other teams on their heels as they fear what magic trick he'll perform next.
You're so famous for your objective opinions. I can't help but trust this...

As I read through this thread I find it truly incredible how as a fan base how hard headed and unable to objectively discuss anything involving the leafs is for you guys. Why not just stick to the leafs board where you can all pat yourselves on the back for having the greatest group of players of all time.

On a serious note, this is a very good poll. Different styles very similar impact on a game. I prefer Aho because he eventually likely ends up playing center and is the better goal scorer. But when Marner is on he can take over a game. Both are terrific young players you can't go wrong with either. Truthfully the correct answer is it's too early to tell.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not surprised of Marner winning the poll considering the vast amount of Leafs fans compared to Canes presented. This one goes to Aho though. He has been having a great season and if the Canes had anywhere near as good of a group, Aho would be swimming in points. He's simply been that good and the Canes are 100% dependent of him driving them forward and so far he has. Considering that the kid is playing with Staal and Teräväinen (practically their nr 1 line) his production has been quite great as well. He'll be the Zetterberg of the next era.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not surprised of Marner winning the poll considering the vast amount of Leafs fans compared to Canes presented. This one goes to Aho though. He has been having a great season and if the Canes had anywhere near as good of a group, Aho would be swimming in points. He's simply been that good and the Canes are 100% dependent of him driving them forward and so far he has. Considering that the kid is playing with Staal and Teräväinen (practically their nr 1 line) his production has been quite great as well. He'll be the Zetterberg of the next era.

umm no. he will be a good player but youre going way overboard.

you must be a Finn?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You're so famous for your objective opinions. I can't help but trust this...

As I read through this thread I find it truly incredible how as a fan base how hard headed and unable to objectively discuss anything involving the leafs is for you guys. Why not just stick to the leafs board where you can all pat yourselves on the back for having the greatest group of players of all time.

On a serious note, this is a very good poll. Different styles very similar impact on a game. I prefer Aho because he eventually likely ends up playing center and is the better goal scorer. But when Marner is on he can take over a game. Both are terrific young players you can't go wrong with either. Truthfully the correct answer is it's too early to tell.

LMAO. Yeah. All the non Leaf fans on this site can totally discuss anything Leaf related objectively and in an unbiased way.

That's right. :)

(And I agree.......this poll is pretty good)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->