Mitchell Marner vs Sebastian Aho

Your choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Marner has been an elite PP producer and I don't get why that gets counted against anyone.

In general, ES production is more repeatable than PP production, since the latter is more dependent on factors beyond the players' control. That said, it is annoying when people act as if PP production is worthless/doesn't count.

I brought up P/60 because you brought up ice time, that Marner gets less ice time per game than Aho. I was curious if this meant Aho was only close to Marner's totals because he gets more time (so he produces less in his time than Marner, but gets more time to even it out), but that's not the case.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
In general, ES production is more repeatable than PP production, since the latter is more dependent on factors beyond the players' control. That said, it is annoying when people act as if PP production is worthless/doesn't count.

I brought up P/60 because you brought up ice time, that Marner gets less ice time per game than Aho. I was curious if this meant Aho was only close to Marner's totals because he gets more time (so he produces less in his time than Marner, but gets more time to even it out), but that's not the case.
That's probably true in general, Marner in particular spends a lot of time with the puck on his stick on the PP, most of the pucks that end up in the net while he's on the ice during a PP are from one of his passes, so I think it stands to reason that he has a little more control than most because the play runs through him

If you can find a P/60 source that lets you search by date rather than season aggregate, have a look at Marner from November/December to present. He had a really slow start and I think you'll find that even his ES production has been very good since then, sort of a tale of two seasons for him this year

also not meaning to put Aho down, he's terrific and an unbelievable find in the 2nd round. I just think that Marner has found his stride and I'm willing to bet that the last 60ish games are the player he's going to be from now on

Reactions: RodTheBawd

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If you can find a P/60 source that lets you search by date rather than season aggregate, have a look at Marner from November/December to present.

I did. Natural stat trick let's you organize by date. In the last 30 games, Marner is 2.69, Aho is 2.47, both at 10.5 OISH%.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I did. Natural stat trick let's you organize by date. In the last 30 games, Marner is 2.69, Aho is 2.47, both at 10.5 OISH%.
that sounds about right, Marner has been electric since he's been with Kadri. He's still not much of a threat to shoot unless he gets a goalie moved too far to the left post as he comes down the left wing on a rush, but both Kadri & Marleau can finish from the places that Marner gets them the puck in

Aho as a center is interesting though, I didn't realize that he'd actually been moved. For most teams it would probably be wise to take the center over the winger, so that should factor in

Reactions: RodTheBawd
Dec 30, 2013
Right? If Marner was a duck or a flame he would be better than Matthews for some. Can you imagine if he was a jet and or finnish? Yikes

You mean like how Matthews is better than McDavid to some Leafs fans?

Re: Aho and Marner. Pretty damn close, but I'm going to go with Aho. I prefer goals to assists, primary assists to secondary assists, 5v5 to PP, and Aho is a potential center. From what I've seen, while Marner's defensive play may be underrated, Aho's is still better. Also, Aho has primarily been centered by Jordan "Hands of Stone" Staal, which doesn't help his offensive stats.

I don't think either answer is a bad answer, unless you followed it up with an AINEC, in which case you're wrong.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
With the horrific start (point wise at least) Marner had and how he's been in the 2nd of the season, i take Marner. He was a little out of shape and rusty to start the season, but JVR/Bozak both looked like they were 2 steps behind him on every play. The lines have changed up a bit now, and he's been our most consistent and deadliest forward offensively for a while now.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Maybe read the post I was replying to. Might help you out

I did.

Doesn't change the FACT that it's a teeny tiny percentage of Leaf fans that you're referring to. There will always be the delusional and insane, in every fan base. They don't represent the majority. They are quite irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things.

I think his point is valid......there is a significant portion of non-Leaf fans out there that hate anything to do with the Leafs for whatever reason......rivalries, too much exposure, hurt feelings on sports forums, Toronto hate from the rest of Canada...........and they don't look at Leaf players fairly. It's a much higher percentage than the Leaf fans who think Matthews is better than McDavid, IMO.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE
Mar 14, 2011
Aho does more with less, but they are both very good young players
Aho
5 vs 5 TOI 14:01 per game
PP TOI 2:34 per game

Marner
5 vs 5 TOI 13:02 per game
PP TOI 2:06 per game

Aho's 3 most common forward line mates, 5 vs 5
Teovo Teravainen 62 points (700:15 minutes with)
Jordan Staal 44 points (619 minutes with)
Elias Lindholm 43 points (312:28 minutes with)

Marner's most common forward linemates, 5 vs 5
Patrick Marleau 45 points (426:23 minutes with)
Tyler Bozak 42 points (422:16 minutes with)
Nazem Kadri 54 points (390:57 minutes with)
This myth of Aho doing more with less needs to die, Aho plays a significant amount of his minutes with Teravainen who would be 3rd in the leafs in terms of PPG, just behind Marner himself and Matthews who barely gets any 5 vs 5 ice time with Marner. Staal is no slouch himself either, his putting up decent production to go along with his strong defensive game.

Dec 30, 2013
I did.

Doesn't change the FACT that it's a teeny tiny percentage of Leaf fans that you're referring to. There will always be the delusional and insane, in every fan base. They don't represent the majority. They are quite irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things.

I think his point is valid......there is a significant portion of non-Leaf fans out there that hate anything to do with the Leafs for whatever reason......rivalries, too much exposure, hurt feelings on sports forums, Toronto hate from the rest of Canada...........and they don't look at Leaf players fairly. It's a much higher percentage than the Leaf fans who think Matthews is better than McDavid, IMO.

"There will always be the delusional and insane, in every fan base. They don't represent the majority. They are quite irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things."

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
"There will always be the delusional and insane, in every fan base. They don't represent the majority. They are quite irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things."

Yes but once again.......its a TINY percentage of delusional Leaf fans that think Matthews is better than McDavid. Whereas its a pretty high percentage of non-Leaf fans that speak unfairly about Leaf players. A quick read through this site will confirm that. Its 37%, to be exact. ;)

Dec 30, 2013
Yes but once again.......its a TINY percentage of delusional Leaf fans that think Matthews is better than McDavid. Whereas its a pretty high percentage of non-Leaf fans that speak unfairly about Leaf players. A quick read through this site will confirm that. Its 37%, to be exact. ;)

"They don't represent the majority."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->