Mitch "The Magician" Marner

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think him and Jack will be close. The narrative that Eichel will easily be the better player should be thrown out the door now. Marner is legit and will be elite.

Jack Eichel is closer to Matthews level than he is to Marner.

Eichel is big, strong, fast and hard shot and can do things Marner simply can't because of the size advantage.

Marner is a highly skilled playmaking winger with great vision and creativity, but point production is really the only true comparable to Eichel in a 1-1. But in a discussion that includes the big picture Eichel is the "better" player.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Fun Fact:

- When comparing rookie seasons, Mitch Marner produced more points (61 v. 56), a higher PPG rate (.792 v. .691), CF% (50.1% v. 47.8%), and +/- (even v. -16) with a comparable oZS% (55.9% v. 55.1%) than Jack Eichel in over two minutes less of avg. TOI. Marner, in said less TOI, also blocked more shots (39 v. 25), had a similar amount of hits (41 v. 43), and had more takeaways (67 v. 43).

Existential Rhetorical question of the day: is the big centre truly better than small playmaking winger when the small playmaking winger is actually better at more than just producing points?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
On first watch I couldn't believe my eyes... On second watch the video is definitely sped up in places. Still incredible edgework, just not as inhuman as this video suggests.

I'm not 100% sold it is sped up at all except for MAYBE at :27 where he goes around the net.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Fun Fact:

- When comparing rookie seasons, Mitch Marner produced more points (61 v. 56), a higher PPG rate (.792 v. .691), CF% (50.1% v. 47.8%), and +/- (even v. -16) with a comparable oZS% (55.9% v. 55.1%) than Jack Eichel in over two minutes less of avg. TOI. Marner, in said less TOI, also blocked more shots (39 v. 25), had a similar amount of hits (41 v. 43), and had more takeaways (67 v. 43).

Existential Rhetorical question of the day: is the big centre truly better than small playmaking winger when the small playmaking winger is actually better at more than just producing points?

Existential follow-up rhetorical question: is the small playmaking winger better even if no-one will acknowledge it? :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Jack Eichel is closer to Matthews level than he is to Marner.

Eichel is big, strong, fast and hard shot and can do things Marner simply can't because of the size advantage.

Marner is a highly skilled playmaking winger with great vision and creativity, but point production is really the only true comparable to Eichel in a 1-1. But in a discussion that includes the big picture Eichel is the "better" player.

That's a very narrow view of "the big picture", jury is still out.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
seriously? I'm still waiting for summer here. October on is Florida and watching the Panthers.

seriously. i hate summer, and i hate not having hockey round. only four more weeks or so and it's training camp/hockey news then actual hockey.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
seriously. i hate summer, and i hate not having hockey round. only four more weeks or so and it's training camp/hockey news then actual hockey.

Not sure what's crazier? You hating summer or Mess hating Marner?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I don't hate Summer nor Marner.

Sitting by pool during Summer overlooking the Lake, and sitting on the coach watching Marner during the Winter are both enjoyable pass times.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017...mall-dynamic-marner-puts-show-training-video/

Martin:
He’s a pretty easy guy to get along with. He’s got a tonne of energy. He’s just a great kid all around. He works hard. He’s just an unbelievable talent. I don’t think I’ve ever played with a guy that is so small and so dynamic and can make plays that you just don’t see coming. He’s going to be a great player in this league for a long time. His energy in the dressing room is unbelievable and he’s always got a smile on his face. He’s going to be a key part of that team for a long time. The Leafs are definitely lucky to have him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

if i could do this to summer so it was winter/spring (thus hockey season) all year round, i would:

kiAzr5.gif

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Fun Fact:

Not fair comparison given Marner plays on a better team with a much better system/coach and easier usage. I agree Marner is being underrated by other teams though.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Not fair comparison given Marner plays on a better team with a much better system/coach and easier usage. I agree Marner is being underrated by other teams though.

Existential Rhetorical Question of the Day: Would the team Marner played on be the better team if Marner did not play on it?

Existential Rhetorical Question of the Day #2: Why must we build crutches for rival players in order to draw them equal\superior to Maple Leafs players?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There is a recent agility drill he is doing over on sportsnet if you's want to see something mindblowing. He is much faster and his edgework is off the charts. He could soon be one of the shiftiest players in the league. My phone wouldn't link it.

Maybe some kind soul could link it here. Ohhhh it up already. Isn't it getting insane the talent we have ahuh.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Fun Fact:

Marner is better. Always has been/Always will be.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner may be better than Matthews or Eichel by the end of it. I mean @ point getting. Its hard to say how Mitch will go. Ny Ma and Mar are all really close and different.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
and sitting on the coach watching Marner during the Winter are both enjoyable pass times.

:amazed::sarcasm:

Well, that would account for your size obsession....

Seriously, Mitch can very easily end up better than both Eichel and Matthews - his smarts, vision, and work ethic are out of this world.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Seriously, Mitch can very easily end up better than both Eichel and Matthews - his smarts, vision, and work ethic are out of this world.

Ohhhhh it burns lol! Oh man.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
if i could do this to summer so it was winter/spring (thus hockey season) all year round, i would:

kiAzr5.gif

You hate summer because there's no hockey? :amazed: This would work well in the un-popular opinions thread. :sarcasm:To each there own!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Here is the problem.

In my Rec Room I have this 65' big screen TV, and when Marner gets on the ice, I have to put on my glasses to see him or its just a spec on the screen moving around, whereas when Matthews hits the ice he fills half the screen. Its annoying to have to keep putting my glasses off and on all game, whenever waterbugs hit the ice. :wg:

Marner is a very creative little guy, exciting to watch him buzz around and create things out of nothing some times. However big centres like Matthews and Eichel simply can do so much more using the advantage of size and strength. The centre position itself makes them more impactful on a game as well than a winger.

Eichel missed 20+ games to a high ankle sprain and then came back and scored 24 goals (57 points) in his last 61 games (among the most goals in the NHL during that time). Matthews scored 40 goals in his rookies season tied for 2nd in the league in goals. As impressive as Marner was he isn't on this same level. IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->