Mitch "The Magician" Marner

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Marner is kicking into gear at the latter part of the schedule the way he did in junior, we are in for in hell of an end to this season. His confidence is back, is physically bigger than last season and has adapted to a faster, bigger league.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Marner has the tools to make dangerous plays. The problem is, he needs to know when and when not to. When he starts to learn that sometimes less is more, he'll be more of a winner then a scorer.
Of course he also needs line-mates that can also make a safe play. Matthews and Nylander can have no real option, throw it into Hyman's corner. It might not be the most dangerous play, but that's the point. It will at least turn out neutral if anything. If he was playing with JVR and Bozak, could he really just dump the puck? The opposition would get possession no matter what and it would be between
him and Bozak to have a remote chance of stopping them. I really think Marner needs to have the ability of making a 'there's no real play here, let's not make a risk' outlet when he has the puck.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
There is a lot to be excited for with just about everything with the franchise these days. I mentioned in a main thread (I think), Marner has 90 point absolute peak potential, and a year and a half later I still think so.

Its a long season but he has his NHL summer and comes to camp 5'11 185. I've noticed even a few months ago he wasn't getting knocked down 4 or 5 times a game anymore.

Next year he plays more than 16 minutes, we get more good young depth and that becomes more.
Mitch is a gamer simple and plain. He always makes something happen.

He's had more productive first two seasons than guys like Tavares, Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Eichel and MacKinnon, this century only the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kane, McDavid, Toews, Gaudreau, Kopitar and Matthews have been better...6 of those guys could retire today and get into the hall.

Another year of knowing and learning what he can and can't do.

Big shock, Babcock loves him.

He can get 25+ goals and 60+ assists I think, within the next 2 seasons.

We'll definitely pitch Tavares, he leaves NYI (he looks quite disinterested after his good start, but he is still Tavares) but doesn't come here. Getting Tavares (And more pressingly, another D), means we lose Kadri, I love Kadri and yes Tavares is better, but were also gonna be paying him twice as much, so we'll also need to worry about getting the kids under a certain number.

Tavares-Marner would be dirty, Reilly-Doughty the year after is better.

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
He’s certainly come a long way from “he’s too small, keep him away from the NHL mean big boys until he’s 21” days.

He’s passed every test with flying colors.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner has the tools to make dangerous plays. The problem is, he needs to know when and when not to. When he starts to learn that sometimes less is more, he'll be more of a winner then a scorer.
Of course he also needs line-mates that can also make a safe play. Matthews and Nylander can have no real option, throw it into Hyman's corner. It might not be the most dangerous play, but that's the point. It will at least turn out neutral if anything. If he was playing with JVR and Bozak, could he really just dump the puck? The opposition would get possession no matter what and it would be between
him and Bozak to have a remote chance of stopping them. I really think Marner needs to have the ability of making a 'there's no real play here, let's not make a risk' outlet when he has the puck.
Yes, if only Marner was a winner in the past. Geezus.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
When he starts to learn that sometimes less is more, he'll be more of a winner then a scorer.

In his last year of junior (season before last), he went from 2 ppg during the regular season (tough to improve on right) to 2.44 ppg during the OHL playoffs, and then against the best teams in the country during the Memorial Cup he stepped up and registered an unbelievable 14 pts in 4 games (3.5 ppg). That sounds like a winner to me.

2015-16 London Knights
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Playoffs18162844
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M-Cup421214
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
In his last year of junior (season before last), he went from 2 ppg during the regular season (tough to improve on right) to 2.44 ppg during the OHL playoffs, and then against the best teams in the country during the Memorial Cup he stepped up and registered an unbelievable 14 pts in 4 games (3.5 ppg). That sounds like a winner to me.

2015-16 London Knights
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Playoffs18162844
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M-Cup421214
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Watching him in London was absolutely incredible.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
lol at Marner not being a winner.

y8Ea8jB.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We'll definitely pitch Tavares, he leaves NYI (he looks quite disinterested after his good start, but he is still Tavares) but doesn't come here. Getting Tavares (And more pressingly, another D), means we lose Kadri, I love Kadri and yes Tavares is better, but were also gonna be paying him twice as much, so we'll also need to worry about getting the kids under a certain number.

Getting Tavares doesn't mean we lose Kadri, where do you get this from? Even with Tavares we'd have 3 awesome centres but it's still not clear who would fill the 4th line centre position as there's still zero depth behind those 3 so why the hell would we trade Kadri? Makes no sense.

Anyhow back to Marner, another guy who won't be traded anytime soon. :)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Getting Tavares doesn't mean we lose Kadri, where do you get this from? Even with Tavares we'd have 3 awesome centres but it's still not clear who would fill the 4th line centre position as there's still zero depth behind those 3 so why the hell would we trade Kadri? Makes no sense.

Anyhow back to Marner, another guy who won't be traded anytime soon. :)

I was led to believe that he was this team's Drouin, and must be traded for the team to have success.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
A real good young player , with incredible offensive tools , great vision on the ice , terrific energy and good enough defensive awareness .
Once he matures mentally and physically, and understands the NHL pro level better , he will blossom to greater heights , if not superstardom .
Patience everyone , patience !
And also he doesn’t need to be Bob Gainey defensively either !

ruKus calls it like I sees it!!
Go F€£¥in LEAFS Goooooo !

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Question to the forum. Do you see marner as an all-star? Star? Superstar? Elite? Or just a good 2nd liner right now and at his prime. Please duscuss

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Question to the forum. Do you see marner as an all-star? Star? Superstar? Elite? Or just a good 2nd liner right now and at his prime. Please duscuss
There's no way this kid will just be a second liner. Too much skill. He has back-to-back 60 point seasons at 19/20.
I think he can be a regular top 10 scorer in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad