Mitch "The Magician" Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm guessing Mitch the set-up man could produce and help his linemates whichever line he is on. Did it last year on the Bozak line, even made the 4th. line look good this year (although Kapanen makes it respectable).

Be interesting to see how Grundstrom-Nylander-Marner would look next year.

I'd rather see Marner and Kadri together for a full season myself.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I remember stating on here earlier this season that Marner might yet score 20 goals this season as well as I see him leading the Leafs in points in the future.

Marner is a player who thinks the game better then any other Leaf player and his on ice vision is among the best ever who have laced them up.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they leave Nylander with Matthews I agree.

Whether or not to split up Matthews and Nylander is potentially Babcock and managements most difficult decisions they will ever have to make imo.

Do they move Nylander back to his natural position and allow the big three to each drive their own line: on the other hand the Nylander-Matthews tandem is one of top 5 forward duos in the league, they elevate one another’s play.

I certainly don’t have the answer...

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Whether or not to split up Matthews and Nylander is potentially Babcock and managements most difficult decisions they will ever have to make imo.

Do they move Nylander back to his natural position and allow the big three to each drive their own line: on the other hand the Nylander-Matthews tandem is one of top 5 forward duos in the league, they elevate one another’s play.

I think you try them separated to start next season and see if another player walks in and meshes with Matthews. Only way to figure it out is to try.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is so damn good with the heavier guys just like we thought he would be. What a gem with the crafty Kadri and disciplined Marleau.

So happy he is back on track to becoming the best of the big 3 (offensively)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Matthews adapts to his wingers very well. I think if you stuck him with Hyman and Kapanen, he'd turn into an elite checking center overnight without necessarily becoming less effective.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I believe Kappy is just too good to play on the 4th line

Running following duos

Matthews Kappy
Nylander Brown
Kadri Marner

Is pretty solid IMO

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If they leave Nylander with Matthews I agree.
I don't have a problem with that.
But we will need to find another good C for this roster if we do. But it's great to see the options we have. You can leave Nylander with Matthews or move him into Bozak's role for next season. If the price is right I wouldn't mind looking at Simmonds. Probably wants to much money/term though. I don't want pay him 6 + years anymore than JVR. 4 years would be perfect.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Imagine how good this team will be next year? They'll win the President's trophy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Imagine how good this team will be next year? They'll win the President's trophy.

I predict anywhere from 1st. to 31st. Pretty safe thinking they'll beat out Seattle.

I think Tavares might play a role in who ends up 1st. next year. Stamkos and Tavares on the same team could pose a problem.

Stamkos, Tavares, Kucherov, Johnson
versus
Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri

Sounds exciting.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I predict anywhere from 1st. to 31st. Pretty safe thinking they'll beat out Seattle.

I think Tavares might play a role in who ends up 1st. next year. Stamkos and Tavares on the same team could pose a problem.

versus

Sounds exciting.

Good point. Stamkos and Tavares, yikes. I hadn't even considered that. Hopefully the cap precludes that possibility.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You really think this team could sink below top 15 next season?

You really think we're guaranteed to finish ahead of Seattle? Last time I looked we were behind Vegas, not sure where this optimism is coming from. ;)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You really think this team could sink below top 15 next season?

Mono strikes the young more often doesn't it?
IMO Tavares will be back with the NYI. I'll believe him going somewhere else when I see it.

Normally, you have to say that would happen.

Islanders Say New Arena Will Be Privately Financed
The Islanders or Barclays Center can opt out of their lease in January. The team has said it intends to play in Brooklyn through next season. But the new arena will not be ready until 2020 at the earliest, so the Islanders may need a temporary home

However, Tavares will be 30+ before their projected new arena is built. So he's going to spend the next 2-3 years waiting for a decent arena to play in? How many players want to donate their prime years of a short career to continuous upheaval?

Of course the odds heavily favor not making a change ... many people deplore change.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

versus

Sounds exciting.

Tampa cannot afford Tavares. No state tax or not. In fact, Tavares likely will never go to a contender. A team like Montreal will likely offer the most $.
Do you really believe this team can miss the playoffs?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tampa cannot afford Tavares. No state tax or not. In fact, Tavares likely will never go to a contender. A team like Montreal will likely offer the most $.
Do you really believe this team can miss the playoffs?

Any team can miss the playoffs.

Didn't the Kings win the Cup and then miss the playoffs?

No I think Marner and the boys will keep building.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Any team can miss the playoffs.

Didn't the Kings win the Cup and then miss the playoffs?

No I think Marner and the boys will keep building.
The Kings barely made the playoffs the years they won the cup. There were issues with those teams. In 2014 they literally could not score untilGaborik arrived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->