Mitch "The Magician" Marner

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
I find Marner's actually pretty unique. There have been a lot of comparisons to players like Kane, Gaudreau, etc. but even going back to the '90s I can't think of a player that mirrors him directly, at least not off the top of my head.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He honestly reminds me of Gretzky at times with his on ice vision and ridiculous passing ability. The kid is a future all star.

True enough. I mentioned him in the same breath as 99 about a year ago I think when talking about his passing/vision and I don't even think I got ridiculed. Kid is special!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I find Marner's actually pretty unique. There have been a lot of comparisons to players like Kane, Gaudreau, etc. but even going back to the '90s I can't think of a player that mirrors him directly, at least not off the top of my head.

Pat Lafontaine was pretty good, though he played centre.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
hadn't looked at Marner's underlying numbers much, everything looks better than last year - positive shot attempt metrics, very positive in all the relatives (especially on the shot suppression side), pacing for more shots and similar points with a lower shooting% & OIsh% than last year

despite all the narrative, he's been much better this year, not worse

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
hadn't looked at Marner's underlying numbers much, everything looks better than last year - positive shot attempt metrics, very positive in all the relatives (especially on the shot suppression side), pacing for more shots and similar points with a lower shooting% & OIsh% than last year

despite all the narrative, he's been much better this year, not worse

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he keeps up the current 1.3 PPG for the rest of the season with the Kadri line. All his underlying metrics are up there with the best in the league right now and it's not unsustainable.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he keeps up the current 1.3 PPG for the rest of the season with the Kadri line. All his underlying metrics are up there with the best in the league right now and it's not unsustainable.
yeah I don't see any reason he can't reach very high scoring totals with the skillset he has and the right linemates

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He is a special kid, what a play maker and he is going to get better with experience as he grow further and that's pretty scary

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner in the last week:

Hello_Boys%252C_I%2527M_BACK%2521%2521%2521_-_Imgur.gif

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
mitch marner the only player on the Leafs without a negative corsi tonight

that's kind of impressive
Huh? The entire team got slaughtered and was sub 50%. Marner was just the best one with a corsi above 40 And a bunch of guys have positive Corsi Rel.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I just hope that we can still use Pastrnak as a contract comparable when he's finished

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'd rather replace Hyman with Kapanen and find another centre to replace Bozak moving forward. Breaking up Matthews and Nylander would be very difficult to rationalize.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He honestly reminds me of Gretzky at times with his on ice vision and ridiculous passing ability. The kid is a future all star.
No, he's not Gretzky-like at all IMO, but I'm really continually surprised that Leafs fans don't see Dougie in this kid. He's Dougie 2.0 in almost every respect. Skating, passing, and the framework of his defensive game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
With Marner and Kadri forming a dynamic duo it really gives us a great opportunity to roll 3 scoring lines featuring Matthews/Marner/Nylander on each one.
The UFA cost is probably high but I'd still love to add a Simmonds type in the offseason.
If Nylander is move. If not, we really need to be looking for another quality C. Not a superstar, but quality.
To bad we didn't have a trade chip (like a UFA or something) to pull in a 1st + that could be used to address this.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
With Marner and Kadri forming a dynamic duo it really gives us a great opportunity to roll 3 scoring lines featuring Matthews/Marner/Nylander on each one.
The UFA cost is probably high but I'd still love to add a Simmonds type in the offseason.
If Nylander is move. If not, we really need to be looking for another quality C. Not a superstar, but quality.
To bad we didn't have a trade chip (like a UFA or something) to pull in a 1st + that could be used to address this.

I thought for sure that Marner would eventually end up on Matthews wing and Nylander at center but this London connection line is just something else right now. I'm not sure if they condense the lines for a deadly top 6 or spread it out more for a really good top 9 in the future.

-Matthews-
-Kadri-Marner
-Nylander-Kapanen

-Matthews-Nylander
-Kadri-Marner
?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought for sure that Marner would eventually end up on Matthews wing and Nylander at center but this London connection line is just something else right now. I'm not sure if they condense the lines for a deadly top 6 or spread it out more for a really good top 9 in the future.

-Matthews-
-Kadri-Marner
-Nylander-Kapanen

-Matthews-Nylander
-Kadri-Marner
?

I'm guessing Mitch the set-up man could produce and help his linemates whichever line he is on. Did it last year on the Bozak line, even made the 4th. line look good this year (although Kapanen makes it respectable).

Be interesting to see how Grundstrom-Nylander-Marner would look next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad