Mitch Marner's Ice-Time

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
Who cares. We roll 4 lines; unlike the other teams who roll 3 lines. Our players are more fresh and we constantly have speed.

Reactions: White Shadow

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm generally more interested with the quality of ice time over quantity. Believe he's still in the top half of our forwards anyway. He's a highly effective player.

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
You believe he's still in the top half ? when you open your eyes is the sky brown ? He is the top of our forwards #1 in points buddy and directly responsible for the majority of goals scored by Kadri , Marleau , Bozo and JVR , figure it out

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We’re going to have to get used to the fact that the leafs handle icetime distribution different than many other teams and I don’t see that changing.

The Leafs put more emphasis on situational usage than ranking up TOI for their core guys

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
You believe he's still in the top half ? when you open your eyes is the sky brown ? He is the top of our forwards #1 in points buddy and directly responsible for the majority of goals scored by Kadri , Marleau , Bozo and JVR , figure it out

Was referring to Marner being in the top half of our regular forwards in icetime not points. In agreement with OP that he's producing extremely well in relation to his TOI.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We’re going to have to get used to the fact that the leafs handle icetime distribution different than many other teams and I don’t see that changing.

The Leafs put more emphasis on situational usage than ranking up TOI for their core guys
That will start to change next year as well as we will not have the same forward depth of vets to rely on.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That will start to change next year as well as we will not have the same forward depth of vets to rely on.

It’ll depend I think on how they structure the lines in future - ie if they split up Nylander and Matthews in the long term.

And Babcock will always like to give lots of TOI to his “role” players.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

It's really not a bad thing. Do we want guys winning Art Ross trophies, or a Stanley Cup?
Leaf players will be more rested than the opponents in the playoffs. And their usage does go up in the playoffs. So the best players do play more.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
It's really not a bad thing. Do we want guys winning Art Ross trophies, or a Stanley Cup?
Leaf players will be more rested than the opponents in the playoffs. And their usage does go up in the playoffs. So the best players do play more.

Overall, I'd like cups but that is followed very closely with having legendary HOF players too so some 'selfish' awards too would be nice.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It’ll depend I think on how they structure the lines in future - ie if they split up Nylander and Matthews in the long term.

And Babcock will always like to give lots of TOI to his “role” players.
As it stands right now, we have 1 guy with 60 points and we're 2nd in the league in goals scored. We definitely give a lot of TOI to role players/grinders.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As it stands right now, we have 1 guy with 60 points and we're 2nd in the league in goals scored. We definitely give a lot of TOI to role players/grinders.
The one tough opart to see is the grinders getting that much. In the years we sucked, sure. Dominic Moore in his first time on the Leafs had a prominant role with career numbers.
But this team is so stacked with talent it does get old seeing Hyman and Komorov's TOI.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Marner's intangibles should also be considered. He's got that contagious youthful optimism and energy that you can't just go out and buy elsewhere. I bet the team absolutely loves having him in the dressing room.

I think salaries are out of control in the NHL these days but if I was his agent, I'd be a very, very patient man next year.

Edit: damn. Need to proofread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysses31

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Marner should really be with Matthews at 5v5 and on the pp. Matthews godlike play at 5v5 will help Marner out there, and Marner can return the favour on the powerplay

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner should really be with Matthews at 5v5 and on the pp. Matthews godlike play at 5v5 will help Marner out there, and Marner can return the favour on the powerplay
I guess that could be the Leafs version when other teams won't know who they should try and cover, especially when they are on the power play. So it would be like how Ovechkin gets left open to prevent him from getting the pass across for his one timer or how the Penguins can put Crosby, Malkin and Kessel on the same power play line.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
We're getting shafted by the refs with the number of power plays and penalty kills we have to deal with. 70 less power plays compared to the #1 ranked Avalanche... Then again we've been quite disciplined and among the least penalized teams in the league. Maybe both these extremes can kind of explain Babcock's over-reliance on his grinders?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We're getting shafted by the refs with the number of power plays and penalty kills we have to deal with. 70 less power plays compared to the #1 ranked Avalanche... Then again we've been quite disciplined and among the least penalized teams in the league. Maybe both these extremes can kind of explain Babcock's over-reliance on his grinders?

Wouldn't it be the opposite that if you play a soft, fast, skilled game that you wouldn't have as many penalties.. Players that play with grit and are physical tend to draw more penalties and take more penalties?.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Something I saw today.

Marner has 69 takeaways and 41 giveaways, leading the team with a +28 differential.

For reference, the next closest (Brown) is at +16

Not bad for a guy who's supposedly having his blind passes routinely picked off by the opposing team. :)

Reactions: stickty111

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Something I saw today.

Marner has 69 takeaways and 41 giveaways, leading the team with a +28 differential.

For reference, the next closest (Brown) is at +16

He's magic, Cor.

In regards to the ice time, I imagine all of Matthews\Marner\Nylander will see there ice time steadily rise into the playoffs, and more certainly going forward as the JVR's\Bozak's\Komarov's roll off the books and are replaced by kids.

I understand people's frustration with the low ice time, however. Each of the players have polls put up comparing them to players with ~2 minutes of extra TOI on the main board. Team success is paramount, but it is annoying having those arguments with haters.

Jun 27, 2005

This rested idea is a myth. Crosby plays 20 minutes a night and Malkin and Kessel 18 and they are 30 years old and going for three in a row. Marner gets 16.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This rested idea is a myth. Crosby plays 20 minutes a night and Malkin and Kessel 18 and they are 30 years old and going for three in a row. Marner gets 16.

It’s not actually.

It’s quickly becoming the latest thing in pro sports sciences. The NHL is actually playing a lot of catchup compared to other pro leagues like the NBA where you see star players play a lot less than you did in the past.

The fact that Crosby or other star players have gotten more minutes in games didn’t mean it was he best thing for their health (he hasn’t exactly been the healthiest player, same for Malkin)

Reactions: White Shadow

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is a great stat to illustrate what Marner is doing, shows ice time and points: On par with Eichel, with 400 less minutes played, wow! I still don't think people quite grasp what we have here.

Reactions: cookie

Jun 27, 2005
It’s not actually.

It’s quickly becoming the latest thing in pro sports sciences. The NHL is actually playing a lot of catchup compared to other pro leagues like the NBA where you see star players play a lot less than you did in the past.

The fact that Crosby or other star players have gotten more minutes in games didn’t mean it was he best thing for their health (he hasn’t exactly been the healthiest player, same for Malkin)

Lebron has the 3rd most min in the league. Using Crosby's injuries is silly. Kessel has gotten more ice time than Matthews EVERY season since he was traded to the Leafs and hasn't missed a game. The best want, do and should get more TOI.

I'm having the same debate in the Hyman thread. TOI is being distributed evenly because the cap forces a lack of talent. Because our young guys are on entry deals we can afford guys like Marleau and JVR and Bozak. Our top guys should be playing together and getting more ice time.

It should bother you that Kessel gets more ice time than Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Marleau and JVR. But it should drive you insane that Hyman does too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->