Mitch Marner's Ice-Time

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
16:08 TOI with 60 points. It is so hard to find guys with that little time having that kind of production. It is going to be remarkable if he gets to 70 with that ice-time. Guys like Barzal and Ratanen are looking at a minute and a half, and 2 and a half minutes more per game.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
random but can we put this sheltered argument to rest. One of the argument against marner was he use to play sheltered minutes. What about "unsheltered" minutes now he is getting and producing better than his "sheltered" minutes.

Reactions: studebaker17

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
random but can we put this sheltered argument to rest. One of the argument against marner was he use to play sheltered minutes. What about "unsheltered" minutes now he is getting and producing better than his "sheltered" minutes.
When a guy is scoring that much the sheltered argument is crap.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It was easy to see in junior that he was going to control the ice in the nhl.

He owned the CHL the year before his NHL debut.
So did Stome .

What he did in Jr got him drafted very high but you still have to show it at the NHL level and MM has .

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So did Stome .

What he did in Jr got him drafted very high but you still have to show it at the NHL level and MM has .
The one issue about Strome was his skating. The issue about Marner being small was actually a lesser issue.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The one issue about Strome was his skating. The issue about Marner being small was actually a lesser issue.
Not a lesser issue , just different .

One has proved he's a quality player while the other one looks well on his way to being a bust for where he was taken and who was on the board.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For once I'm just happy for the Leafs to be on the other side where they picked the better player right after the team who selected just before them. I know Strome is a centre, however I wonder if any Coyotes fans regret them not taking Marner?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not a lesser issue , just different .

One has proved he's a quality player while the other one looks well on his way to being a bust for where he was taken and who was on the board.

The point is, Marner fits in today's game (Speed+skill). Smaller players fit better than ever. Strome's skating does not fit in today's game.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
For once I'm just happy for the Leafs to be on the other side where they picked the better player right after the team who selected just before them. I know Strome is a centre, however I wonder if any Coyotes fans regret them not taking Marner?
Coyotees fans should regret everything. That organization is a disaster. They are full of more top 10 picks than any team and they are pathetic.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The point is, Marner fits in today's game (Speed+skill). Smaller players fit better than ever. Strome's skating does not fit in today's game.
The point is Strome could have improved his skating like Tavares and become a dominant player .

And even though smaller players can excel much easier today it's still not a guarantee every small skilled player will become a dominant NHLer.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
God I hope he'll be cheaper because of it. Imagine the nightmare we'd have on our hands if he'd put up 80 points this year.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

I'm starting to get used to it now. Rielly was picked right after Reinhart. Nylander was picked right after Fleury. The Leafs are hitting home runs with all of their high picks now which is crucial to building a cup contending team. They've come a long way from the Jeff Ware and Brandon Convery days where they just wasted 1st round picks.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm starting to get used to it now. Rielly was picked right after Reinhart. Nylander was picked right after Fleury. The Leafs are hitting home runs with all of their high picks now which is crucial to building a cup contending team. They've come a long way from the Jeff Ware and Brandon Convery days where they just wasted 1st round picks.
Those are also great examples. I also remember some Canucks fans wishing they took Nylander 6th overall instead of Jake Virtanen.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
The point is Strome could have improved his skating like Tavares and become a dominant player .

And even though smaller players can excel much easier today it's still not a guarantee every small skilled player will become a dominant NHLer.
Truthfully I never liked Strome heading into that draft and was dreading us getting him instead of Marner. Pure eye test stuff. Smart player and a mean shot, but sluggish and was definitely more a right time and place scorer than Marner, who was a pure play driver and one of the most creative players I've ever seen at that level.

I still think he'll turn out well in the end, but you could see how relieved our management was when Arizona took Strome. They were trying desperately to trade down (probably to snag Rants) under the assumption that Marner would be off the board at 4.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yip. If you keep hitting on the first round, you are in great shape, Liljegren going 17th to the Leafs is another one.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I started paying some attention to the top picks later in the season and I didn't like Strome's overall pkg .

-very bad 2 first steps
-very slow release on his shot
-played a very passive game

He looked liked your typical big scorer in minor hockey who floated in open ice until someone else did the work to get him the puck and whose flaws would catch up to him at some point.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Truthfully I never liked Strome heading into that draft and was dreading us getting him instead of Marner. Pure eye test stuff. Smart player and a mean shot, but sluggish and was definitely more a right time and place scorer than Marner, who was a pure play driver and one of the most creative players I've ever seen at that level.

I still think he'll turn out well in the end, but you could see how relieved our management was when Arizona took Strome. They were trying desperately to trade down (probably to snag Rants) under the assumption that Marner would be off the board at 4.
I remember right before Arizona went to select Strome, Bettman announced there was a trade and I thought another team was trading up to the 3rd overall pick and going to select Marner.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'd give him more but what do I know. He's been unreal for a while now and I hope he gets some more ice and conitinues his play into the post-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad