• Yes

• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
One thing I’ve noticed on these boards is this obsession with goals and ignoring of assists for point totals. I don’t remember it always being like this, perhaps an influence of having a sniper like Matthews?

Assists are points to, they lead to to goals...

In general, the logic is there can be goals without assists, but obviously not the other way around. Still, for that to mean too much, would have to check how many of our goals were scored unassisted. Imagine his goal scoring will pick up, but he's leading the team in assists, so his playmaking isn't exactly going to waste.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner is a slight 3 scoring points off of second in team scoring held by Kadri. He has played less minutes per game that all ahead of him in scoring except JVR.

Not to shabby for a sophomore slump so called. You can all eat your words later on in the season but thats not important.

Marner is a core player and will be a star player in the entire league when he learns more over time.

I think he is doing really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The scary thing about Marner's struggles is we've now seen a very high ceiling, as well as a very low floor. To what degree he needs optimal conditions to succeed, who knows?

Like I've always maintained. His ceiling is something like Patrick Kane, which you have to build with. But what if he's Jordan Eberle, or Tyler Ennis? If the latter, he's not going to be a core piece.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Please don't answer in my quote, it makes it very hard to respond.

You are twisting my words now. I said that the question was if he was a future star, that he was, and then used another word in my explanation. I've said that I did it because I saw them have the same meaning. I've explained there's nothing devious behind that. I can't force you to believe me, but just deciding that I mean something else than I say is not discussing in good faith. If that's how you roll, I'm not gonna respond after this.

As for the goals, nobody is denying it's an issue. What I'm saying is that there's more to the picture, and the whole picture isn't quite so gloomy. I see no reason to look at only goals instead of the whole picture, like you do.

Junior stats don't always carry over. Marner has shown that his did. I am disappointed, but I also realize that variation in performance is perfectly ordinary. Expecting players to always get better is not fair. It's not all in their control.

And again you decide to only talk about goals instead of the whole picture, and again you move the goalposts. I pointed out that the "the league has figured him out"-is said a ton, and is almost never proven correct. The players I mentioned doesn't have to perform as bad as Marner did, in goalscoring specifically for that to be true.

Marner's speed is definitely not average. He threatens with it in his transition play quite often, and you can see him gain separation. It's not a top end attribute, but it's not average.

And yes, Marner has a very strong case for a projection as a star player. There's an obvious difference between having a very strong case and being a guaranteed thing. Surely you realize that? I don't see why I should have to explain such obvious difference in definitions.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Remember guys we just gave the Tampa Bay the best drafting team in the NHL AINEC a free second round pick for 4th liner Brian ****ing Boyle.
It helped get us in the playoffs. Buffalo gave a 3rd round pick to have a phone conversation with Jimmy Vesey in the summer.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think they'll sacrifice a forward for D before they'd sacrifice Lilljegren. Again JMHO.

Maybe, with the way they have been playing recently, they're tanking for a higher draft pick!
They've lost 3 in arrow without their star. It's not the end of the world.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They've lost 3 in arrow without their star. It's not the end of the world.

Yes, they've lost 3 in a row! And no, it's not the end of the world, but, they've also won a handful of games they should have lost!

They have been playing dreadful for about a month now, even while winning a few games!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yes, they've lost 3 in a row! And no, it's not the end of the world, but, they've also won a handful of games they should have lost!

They have been playing dreadful for about a month now, even while winning a few games!

Matthews has 3 goals in his last 20 games including injury games lost. The team has 10 goals in the last 7 games. It happens.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

They have not been that bad, they have played ok hockey, nobody has schooled them lol

5-vs-5 last 10 games
  • hdcf% 53.09 ~ 10th
  • mdcf% 52.25 ~ 10th
  • ldcf% 45.28 ~ 26th
  • cf% 49.45 ~ 15th
  • ~
  • scf% 52.55 ~ 9th

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
His ceiling is something like Patrick Kane
And THIS is exactly why so many seem to be obsessed with Marner's goal totals and ignore total points...

How many people see "ceiling is Patrick Kane" and go straight to "ceiling is goal-scoring sniper"?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
And THIS is exactly why so many seem to be obsessed with Marner's goal totals and ignore total points...

How many people see "ceiling is Patrick Kane" and go straight to "ceiling is goal-scoring sniper"?

Part of it is that the fix seems so clear-cut. He doesn't have to "put it together", he doesn't have to learn to find space at the NHL level, he literally just needs to spend an off-season working on his shot power/quickness and making a point of shooting in situations where it's the obvious right move.

It would be one thing if his goal totals were so low because he never has time/space to shoot the puck, but he usually gets a few good looks every game.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If you can't see the similarities I can't help you.

I wasn't talking in absolutes. I just thought it was interesting. Marner is getting too many excuses for his poor play. It's definitely a concern whether you want to admit it or not.

Remember what this thread is about----Marner as a Future STAR

I won't even project that superlative to Braden Point but I like his chances better than Mitch Marners.

Marner's play is so poor this year that I no longer view him as a core piece going forward. I loved him last year and it takes a lot for me to change my opinion. He's looked THAT bad.

This tells me you didnt like him ever anyways. Lets hope Hunter continues to make amazing draft picks like Marner.
#corepiece.
Whoever says no are bunch of impatient fans.
Looks like Hunter made a great choice. It makes a certain effort to do well like Marner has.
He is THAT good

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The great thing is Marner is suffering from a sophmore slump. He is a core piece no question.
Dont be surprised Lighting trade Brayden Point. He is very average.
Marner>Point

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner is a slight 3 scoring points off of second in team scoring held by Kadri. He has played less minutes per game that all ahead of him in scoring except JVR.

Not to shabby for a sophomore slump so called. You can all eat your words later on in the season but thats not important.

Marner is a core player and will be a star player in the entire league when he learns more over time.

I think he is doing really well.

Sssh dont let people know logic around here. Mark Hunter made an amazing selection here.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Once Marner gets on a hot streak, these Point fans who let a few games change their decision whether Marner is a star or not will be nowhere to be found.:laugh:
Marner will be amazing and Hunter needs to keep making Marner type selections. He didnt make any mistake by choosing Marner.
If anything Flyers and Canes made a mistake by drafting d men with their picks.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It is not tanking, just the recognition of a strong draft and a toe drag. A defensive realignment. I'm drooling at this crop. Centers and quality dmen plus size.
Could be up to 15 to 20 good players in the first.

How can you regret taking Marner, remember the Courtnall.

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
What system is going to help him when he tries to make 50mph 2ft passes in the crease when he should shoot or flubs all his scoring chances. That's all on him, not the line. Not the system.
I concur he looks gassed and timid ...he doesn't have breakaway speed either ....he was the most disappointing of the young leafs on fri nite in Detroit .....borgy and nylanddr looked better ....connor brown ...a coachs dream ...and gm 's dream at his salary ...always playing a energy game ...

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Lets be honest here, he has 2 freaking goals. Try and sugar coat it all you want with this assist nonsense, the guy is not playing at an acceptable level. Borgman has more goals.

Will he come out of it and be fine? Probably and hopefully, but right now its unacceptable.

Reactions: ToneDog

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Lets be honest here, he has 2 freaking goals. Try and sugar coat it all you want with this assist nonsense, the guy is not playing at an acceptable level. Borgman has more goals.

Will he come out of it and be fine? Probably and hopefully, but right now its unacceptable.

Exactly. People can try to spin it however they want. The proof is in the pudding. When you select a one dimensional, soft, forward at 4th OA he better be able to put the puck in the net.

Marner has a minor midget level shot and a pass first mentality. The kid is never going to crack 25 goals in this league. He doesn't have the IQ to be able to adapt.

Leafs passed on Provorov and Werenski.. 2 blue chip dmen for a guy that will never be a scorer. Inexcusable. Guys like Marner are available EVERY YEAR in FA. Stud dmen like Provorov and Werenski are not.

Goal numbers don't lie.. You either finish or you don't. 2 goals on the year. 2. Absolutely sickening.

Reactions: Myopic and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Exactly. People can try to spin it however they want. The proof is in the pudding. When you select a one dimensional, soft, forward at 4th OA he better be able to put the puck in the net.

Marner has a minor midget level shot and a pass first mentality. The kid is never going to crack 25 goals in this league. He doesn't have the IQ to be able to adapt.

Leafs passed on Provorov and Werenski.. 2 blue chip dmen for a guy that will never be a scorer. Inexcusable. Guys like Marner are available EVERY YEAR in FA. Stud dmen like Provorov and Werenski are not.

Goal numbers don't lie.. You either finish or you don't. 2 goals on the year. 2. Absolutely sickening.

Hindshight is 20/20. It is still way to early but we might have been better off if Hunter selected a dman instead of Marner and Debrincat instead of Korshkov.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hindshight is 20/20. It is still way to early but we might have been better off if Hunter selected a dman instead of Marner and Debrincat instead of Korshkov.

It's like I said, we are in the top 10 at drafting but certainly not the top 5. If not for our 1sts and freebies we are still a pretty average drafting team.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's like I said, we are in the top 10 at drafting but certainly not the top 5. If not for our 1sts and freebies we are still a pretty average drafting team.

As an organization I might argue we are worse than average. However the jury is still out on Hunter and his staff.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leafs out to make Nylander 'a star' - Article - TSN
I hope lots of posters read this link. Its a inside look that maybe we haven't heard brfore!

The article gives credibility to the fact Babxock is working defensive responsibility with Willy and Mitch with 4th line work

So they are on a leash somewhat in terms of how their game is being scrutinized by the coach. Coaches aren't nice all the time to players and he is likely riding them hard if they aren't buying in to the system enough. They are going to be better off in the long run for this.

No free lunch for young hotshots is good.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

We've yet to uncover a Kucherov, Parayko, Point, etc. with our mid round picks. Guys like Timashov, Bracco, Rasanen, and friends are still at a developmental level but don't look like they have that insane high potential. Need some guys like that if we want to be top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->