• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I don't even think his shot is necessarily terrible, if anything he has pretty good accuracy and I'd call it average. His 2nd goal of the year vs. Boston was a nice shot. He just needs to shoot way more.

Reactions: DarkKnight

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
His line as pretty much always been the worst defensive scoring line on the team. Folks used to blame Kessel, then JVR but there’s only been one constant factor....

Defensively inept wingers? Hard to get the puck out when putting it up the boards on one side is an automatic turnover.

Bozak is not great defensively but he's not the reason a winger like Marner or Kessel plays fly-by fake defense and won't fight for the puck on the boards. Marners passes to nobody aren't helping, either.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He is already ahead of JG at the same age. But yeah, I agree that he will be a star.
Exactly my point. Johnny was a late bloomer and is a small skilled player similar to Marner. Why wouldn’t it take Marner a little longer to get going like a Johnny did? Hopefully he can be better than Johnny because like you said he is ahead of him at comparable ages.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What system is going to help him when he tries to make 50mph 2ft passes in the crease when he should shoot or flubs all his scoring chances. That's all on him, not the line. Not the system.

Marner is going to need transform his game if he wants to score more goals.

The fear with smaller players is they prefer to play on the perimeter (to avoid physical contact for self preservation) and prefer to pass the puck into high scoring dangerous areas instead. Marner does not have the shooting ability to beat goalies from distance, particularly when the goalie can see the shot. So you seen him shooting pucks from distance into crowds in front of the net in hopes a screened goalie misses it or his teammates battling in the blue paint bang in rebounds to help his assist totals.

Babcock already shelters him as much as he can playing him on the 3rd line, against the oppositions 3rd/4th liners and 2/3rd paring Dmen hoping for a mismatch on talent for him to exploit offensively by easier QofC and also his line gets the majority of Ozone starts having them start in the offensive zone. Also playing him on the point on the #1PP gives him lots of time and space to create without fear of physical contact. Babcock is doing everything he can to this point to put Mitch in areas to succeed statistically while allowing him to develop slowly as he gains strength and experience and confidence.

What is going to happen in the future is the big question as I can't imagine the long-term plan from a top 5 pick is to play him in the bottom 6 forever. How will Marner fair when facing the oppositions best forwards and Dmen instead of their depth nightly, and will he eventually go into heavy traffic and the dangerous scoring areas where many goals are scored, or prefer to be the setup man from the perimeter even when he moves up the depth chart?. Will he ever be big or strong enough to win physical puck battles as required or maintain possession or get pucks out of the Dzone when fulfilling his defensive responsibilities?

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Mitch Marner will likely be traded if he doesn't get his head screwed on correctly and into big game mode more frequently. JMHO.

Reactions: Leafs at Knight

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Patience...Nazem Kadri (also a former London Knight) took a number of seasons to finally get his game. Marner who is more talented should get there much quicker. Patience is a virtue.

If you can put up with Jake Gardiners's boneheaded plays for all these years, give the kid a break.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Patience...Nazem Kadri (also a former London Knight) took a number of seasons to finally get his game. Marner who is more talented should get there much quicker. Patience is a virtue.

If you can put up with Jake Gardiners's boneheaded plays for all these years, give the kid a break.

Yes, let's return to the poll.

We can say, he currently is not a star.

He might become one, or he might fail to become a star.

Right now it is is confidence that is taking a hit, along with his size and strength.

Additionally, right now there are several draft class members who are playing much better than he is.

Way too soon to know how everything is going to play out.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Yes, let's return to the poll.

We can say, he currently is not a star.

He might become one, or he might fail to become a star.

Right now it is is confidence that is taking a hit, along with his size and strength.

Additionally, right now there are several draft class members who are playing much better than he is.

Way too soon to know how everything is going to play out.

Lou (or Toronto's next GM) will have to determine his value going forward. Does he get a bridge deal or does he get a long-term deal?

Let me ask you... What kind of long-term contract do you think Marner is worth? Ideally, it is in the Kadri range as Kadri is clearly a better player than Marner at this stage. I know that Kadri's deal if a steal but Marner has not proved enough to earn more IMO.

I personally would give Marner a bridge contract and hope that the next few years will show his real worth. I no longer view Marner as a core piece although that could certainly change in the years ahead.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Guy's just got a lot hungrier, fearless, focused and really cut out those bizarre plays when it's a routine breakout.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You don't trade a 20 year old top 5 pick who had 61 points as a rookie because of a struggling second season. He's going nowhere.

I don’t get how folks can be so short sighted.

He’s had a rough season so far, but that doesn’t suddenly erase his stellar tookie year. Not to mention the Leafs have a full other season ahead to evaluate him before thinking of a contract

Reactions: Max Money

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Don't believe the idea Marner or Nylander will be sacrificed for D. If anyone will be sacrificed for it, it'll be Lilljegren.

I think they'll sacrifice a forward for D before they'd sacrifice Lilljegren. Again JMHO.

Maybe, with the way they have been playing recently, they're tanking for a higher draft pick!

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Nature of sports fandom I think - folks get very emotional in their reactions to things, clouds judgements sometimes.
I think the people attached to a guy like Marner are the emotional ones. They think of his star OHL days and can't separate that from the reality of what he is in the NHL. As I don't watch the OHL, that doesn't effect me. He will have to greatly transform his game to ever live up to what is expected from him. And I do mean greatly.

Reactions: Al14

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think the people attached to a guy like Marner are the emotional ones. They think of his star OHL days and can't separate that from the reality of what he is in the NHL. As I don't watch the OHL, that doesn't effect me. He will have to greatly transform his game to ever live up to what is expected from him. And I do mean greatly.

Last season put up 60 points as a teenager in the NH...

Yes he’s going through some struggles - hard to name a sophomore player who doesn’t go through something similar

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Phil Kessel survived as a perimeter player because he had a world class shot. Marner will not have a lasting effect in the NHL as a perimeter player.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Phil Kessel survived as a perimeter player because he had a world class shot. Marner will not have a lasting effect in the NHL as a perimeter player.
Kessel also has about 35 pounds on Marner. [queue the fat jokes]...lol
He has tree trunks for legs.

Phil has world-class speed----> Marner has average speed.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I wish you could reopen the voting on this poll. The results look a bit ridiculous at this time. I would add "too early to say" to the options.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I wish you could reopen the voting on this poll. The results look a bit ridiculous at this time. I would add "too early to say" to the options.
Not really. The question was if he's going to be a star. That projection shouldn't really have changed much. He's had a stretch of disappointing play, with some unsustainable numbers. It's still an overwhelmingly strong case for him being a future top-end player. Even among such, variations in performance when dealing with small sample sizes occur.

Reactions: Max Money

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Not really. The question was if he's going to be a star. That projection shouldn't really have changed much. He's had a stretch of disappointing play, with some unsustainable numbers. It's still an overwhelmingly strong case for him being a future top-end player. Even among such, variations in performance when dealing with small sample sizes occur.

I know what the question is. Apparently, you don't, because the question was not about becoming a "top end player" but rather a "Future STAR". You purposely moderated the words to fit your narrative. Nice try.

If you consider 6 goals in almost 60 games a "stretch of disappointing play", well, that's more than 1/2 of his NHL career. That's not a "small sample size" to Marner.

I wouldn't exactly describe it as an "overwhelmingly strong case". Quite the opposite. He is struggling mightily as the league learns how to defend him.

His toolbox doesn't include great speed, a good shot, ability to grind, nor good size. Even an optimist would have to admit that he is certainly not a slam dunk to become a future star.

Now with all that being said, I hope that Marner does become a star. One can dream and hope for the best. I just don't think that it is very likely.

JMO

Last edited:

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Until he improves on his muffin shot people won't defend his shot and will try to block his passing lanes reducing his effectiveness.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think the people attached to a guy like Marner are the emotional ones.

And vis versa, ones that are horrified by the sight of poor play for a game or two, are emotional ones.

Meanwhile those that aren't as reactionary and take into consideration his entire body of work, come to a sensible conclusion...thus far. He's still very young, and has a good ceiling.

Whether or not he's a "star' is a question a tabloid or reddit might ask. He's a good young player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad