Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Ranger definitely looks like he has a ton of upside. Good thing there is no need to rush him with Ingham manning the next for the next 2-3 years. Overall I am liking the look of this draft crop, lots of skilled forwards and defencemen with upside.

I assume we'll see Hardie and Portokalis on the team to start the year. Ranger could get some time with the team as well but will probably spend most of the year in Junior A

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
I understand where you're coming from but I was pretty happy with the picks they made that did report (Washkurak, Schwindt and Harley all look like players). We'll see how the new regime drafts following the James Boyd era but I am optimistic
I agree all three of the players you named did not look out of place. Harley in particular played in all situations and did a very good job. Varga and Canade look like promising players as well.
They have a good sophomore group. Ryan McLeod and Carter along with Little all look like they have leadership potential. Michnac is a bit of a dilemma IMO he played himself out of a top six spot. His performance really dropped off in the final quarter of the season. Hope if he comes back next season he looks more like the the player that played early in the season.
Next year the team will look pretty different but IMO the team has the potential to be a contender.

Reactions: Tarantula

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I don’t understand Sudbury.

I don't either. I don't think they will make the playoffs again, but some are thinking top 10 in CHL in two years.....?

Delusional, fans there don't understand that 19 other teams drafted players as well, and will also get better. The Battalion had three picks in the first 31 and they really improved their goaltending for when Propp is gone. Interestingly, Wolves were offered Propp last season and said McGrath was their guy.....

Wolves did not improve their goalie situation by taking the goalie they did. Defence is still small and weak, in a weaker division.....

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I don't either. I don't think they will make the playoffs again, but some are thinking top 10 in CHL in two years.....?

Delusional, fans there don't understand that 19 other teams drafted players as well, and will also get better. The Battalion had three picks in the first 31 and they really improved their goaltending for when Propp is gone. Interestingly, Wolves were offered Propp last season and said McGrath was their guy.....

Wolves did not improve their goalie situation by taking the goalie they did. Defence is still small and weak, in a weaker division.....

I would be careful being critical of this pick! I posted my thoughts after the 3rd, 4th, 5th picks and explained that very thing about not taking a goalie earlier and missed getting a solid guy. Not to say their 5th pick wont develop into something however we did miss getting a top goalie prospect that will be inline with the ages of Byfield and Murray when the Wolves make a run in 2 or 3 years. In fact I was told that I had no idea what I was taking about and that we should leave it to the new scouts the Wolves hired. Well the Wolves have hired new scouts over the last 10 years I will not be convinced that another new crop will make it so different when I thought the draft was good but It could have been better. Butler is a player and will probably be great but I was hoping for another D or goalie taken in that spot. The amount of returning forwards is plenty and I feel we won't get fair value for the guys that will need to be traded. And I fear that the Wolves will resort to releasing guys again like they did with Lane etc... Sorry for positing this in this thread I know its Mississauga's however just responding to the comments made here.

WJ

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Anyways.......
Question regarding Hague, has he signed a ELC? I am guessing the only way he could return is if he doesn't stick with the big club and has no ELC, otherwise I can't see LV sending him back the O, he would have to be AHL ready at least I would think.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I would be careful being critical of this pick! I posted my thoughts after the 3rd, 4th, 5th picks and explained that very thing about not taking a goalie earlier and missed getting a solid guy. Not to say their 5th pick wont develop into something however we did miss getting a top goalie prospect that will be inline with the ages of Byfield and Murray when the Wolves make a run in 2 or 3 years. In fact I was told that I had no idea what I was taking about and that we should leave it to the new scouts the Wolves hired. Well the Wolves have hired new scouts over the last 10 years I will not be convinced that another new crop will make it so different when I thought the draft was good but It could have been better. Butler is a player and will probably be great but I was hoping for another D or goalie taken in that spot. The amount of returning forwards is plenty and I feel we won't get fair value for the guys that will need to be traded. And I fear that the Wolves will resort to releasing guys again like they did with Lane etc... Sorry for positing this in this thread I know its Mississauga's however just responding to the comments made here.

WJ
I saw this guy play a lot as I live in Kemptville. He is ok but he isn't going to help that much.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Anyways.......
Question regarding Hague, has he signed a ELC? I am guessing the only way he could return is if he doesn't stick with the big club and has no ELC, otherwise I can't see LV sending him back the O, he would have to be AHL ready at least I would think.

I don't believe he will be back. There is nothing left for him to learn from the OHL. He needs to be challenged a bit more than the players of the OHL can at this point. I would imagine he moves up at lease to the ECHL, but I'm thinking it will be to the AHL. My question mark are his feet, as I would like to see him get a bit quicker in first 5 strides....

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I agree, is he signed though to a ECL though????

Yes according to Capgeek he has signed his 3 year ELC with Vegas. He also had an assist and a fight in his first AHL game, he's ready to move on. Too bad he didn't have more support on the back-end this season but wow was he awesome. Wonder who is going to be able to replace his scoring next season...maybe they'll look for an import D with some offensive ability

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thanks, I thought he was and is gone from the O. He had a great season and I expect to see him playing in the NHL soon. Reason I asked was the Guelph board had a poster or two speculating on obtaining him, wondered if I missed something.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
For Hague its either NHL or OHL next year. He was drafted out of the CHL and needs to be 20 to play in the AHL.

He and Tippet are both there as loaner players to help their development. As they're junior clubs are done. This is the same rule that brought Dylan Strome back to the OHL last year and for a more hometown example, It's the reason Mikey came back to the Steelheads rather then playing in Albany.

I find the rule to be bittersweet. It gives players the opportunity to play for or be traded to a contending team. Given the player gets traded, it gives them the experience of joining another team mid season. It also gives the kids time to mature just that little bit more both mentally and physically. One downside to the rule is that some kids are simply just to good for this league at 19, but aren't quite ready for the NHL level, or at the level their teams would like them to be playing at.

IMO I don't see Hague as too good for this league yet. I think he is a sizeable gifted offensive minded defenseman. But his footwork isn't quite at the NHL level as he gets beat wide in the OHL still. I also think his passes from his own end need work. That said, last year before he got drafted to the NHL I said he needs to shoot more and he put up record numbers the next season. So I believe he will improve his game and that his flaws are coachable.He has a HUGE season ahead of him and will experience alot. I see him playing for Canada at the WJC in December as well.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
For Hague its either NHL or OHL next year. He was drafted out of the CHL and needs to be 20 to play in the AHL.

He and Tippet are both there as loaner players to help their development. As they're junior clubs are done. This is the same rule that brought Dylan Strome back to the OHL last year and for a more hometown example, It's the reason Mikey came back to the Steelheads rather then playing in Albany.

I find the rule to be bittersweet. It gives players the opportunity to play for or be traded to a contending team. Given the player gets traded, it gives them the experience of joining another team mid season. It also gives the kids time to mature just that little bit more both mentally and physically. One downside to the rule is that some kids are simply just to good for this league at 19, but aren't quite ready for the NHL level, or at the level their teams would like them to be playing at.

IMO I don't see Hague as too good for this league yet. I think he is a sizeable gifted offensive minded defenseman. But his footwork isn't quite at the NHL level as he gets beat wide in the OHL still. I also think his passes from his own end need work. That said, last year before he got drafted to the NHL I said he needs to shoot more and he put up record numbers the next season. So I believe he will improve his game and that his flaws are coachable.He has a HUGE season ahead of him and will experience alot. I see him playing for Canada at the WJC in December as well.

Man what a shot he has too!

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018

Hague is a 98' so it doesn't matter when his birthday is, he can play in the AHL next year. Tippett is a 99' so the rule will still apply to him next year. Hague is best off developing in the AHL next season and I wish him all the best in his career moving forward

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I thought he would be AHL eligible next year, seems as though a few people want to trade for him next year on other team boards, if that was possible he would fetch quite a bit.

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
Hague is a 98' so it doesn't matter when his birthday is, he can play in the AHL next year. Tippett is a 99' so the rule will still apply to him next year. Hague is best off developing in the AHL next season and I wish him all the best in his career moving forward

I would like too still see him in the OHL next year for an OA year. His defensive side (mostly footspeed) and outlet passes need a little more seasoning. IMO​

Last edited:
Reactions: hockieguy

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I would like too still see him in the OHL next year for an OA year. His defensive side (mostly footspeed) and outletpasses need a little more seasoning. IMO​

There's no chance Hague is in the OHL again next year unless he gets a serious injury and is sent back on a conditioning assignment because they don't think he's ready for pro hockey because of the injury. A high 2nd round pick who's already signed

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
There's no chance Hague is in the OHL again next year unless he gets a serious injury and is sent back on a conditioning assignment because they don't think he's ready for pro hockey because of the injury. A high 2nd round pick who's already signed

Yes you are right. I shoulda mentioned before that I don't expect him to be back in the OHL. But if the decision was up to me I would send him back for that one more year to dominate and develop just that little bit more. That said nobody has a crystal ball and I hope the Vegas brass sees what I see. One question and tho it seems more unlikely then the O, can he play in the ECHL next year as well? IMO, that would be the best option for him

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ranger definitely looks like he has a ton of upside. Good thing there is no need to rush him with Ingham manning the next for the next 2-3 years. Overall I am liking the look of this draft crop, lots of skilled forwards and defencemen with upside.

I assume we'll see Hardie and Portokalis on the team to start the year. Ranger could get some time with the team as well but will probably spend most of the year in Junior A

Had a moment and a quick glance at Hardie's stats, looking forward to seeing him at the blue and white game for a look at him. Should be interesting to see how the roster shapes out going into camp. I liked Canade all year, and Washaruk (sp?) came on as the season wound down. He has works hard and can skate, and I think he can be a factor on offense, which will be taking a big hit with the graduating players.

Still nervous about the overall depth of the D, but I always am and it is still early.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Camp this sat, Blue White game starts at 4, a chance to see the draft picks, rosters available on site. A chance to see what is up and coming for the Steelheads.

Hopefully JR did well, his second draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad