Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Who is more deserving of the Max Kaminsky trophy this year?? Nic Hague or Evan Bouchard?? Both had an amazing year, and I’m gonna stay impartial... ;)
Both went out in the first round but because I saw a lot of Hague over season if I had a vote I would vote for Nic.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I don't think JR was perfect but I was more than happy with most of the moves he made. Foget was a difference maker in his brief time here, and they recouped some of their losses from the Rippon trade (considering he wanted to go back home to Ottawa anyways). Boomhower and Cascagnette were solid depth when they were here, but definitely expendable. Foget and Carter proved to be much more valuable. O'Grady and Carter were both solid pickups and likely will be back as OA's next year which is why their trades made a lot of sense at the time.

The only move that I could question now is when they moved Osmanski early on for two 4ths. Great value but they could have used him once Moverare went down. Anyways I'm looking forward to the draft on Saturday and am excited to see if they can convince one of the Americans they drafted last year to report!

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I guess they needed those picks for Osmanski, they were short on the draft grid.

From what some others have said there is no way Hughes would be coming to the O, so I doubt they could get anything for his rights, unless someone knows different.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I wonder if Mr. Kerr should have waited before saying anything, but he has since said in a article that he is being charged rent that would require a 4000 attendance. So he is basically trying to negotiate friendlier terms from the city, plus I know he has mentioned about the city getting some development around the arena. They are here next year at least so they have time to dance with the city.

Forget about firing JR, that one poster was trolling us as he had just joined the forum the day after they were eliminated. He had the team working hard, and they did outplay their record. If Ingham had played like the elite prospect everyone felt he was going into the year they would have been much higher in the standings, but he was in the lower half all year.

Hopefully they draft well Sat!

Reactions: SebJHockey

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I wonder if Mr. Kerr should have waited before saying anything, but he has since said in a article that he is being charged rent that would require a 4000 attendance. So he is basically trying to negotiate friendlier terms from the city, plus I know he has mentioned about the city getting some development around the arena. They are here next year at least so they have time to dance with the city.

Forget about firing JR, that one poster was trolling us as he had just joined the forum the day after they were eliminated. He had the team working hard, and they did outplay their record. If Ingham had played like the elite prospect everyone felt he was going into the year they would have been much higher in the standings, but he was in the lower half all year.

Hopefully they draft well Sat!

This team needs to hit the nail on the head this draft.

No taking stupid gambles in the 1st round like they did last year. Future would have looked a lot brighter if they would have taken a safer gamble, instead they took a player who was known not to be heading to the OHL. Some fans on here keep saying it was a safe pick and they'd do it again but this team would have been better off with a Morgan or a rees or even mcmicheal.

Need to hit on more picks through out the draft.

Teams that are successful draft well in the mid to late rounds. Needs to improve in Mississauga.

Really hope this team hits a few homeruns at the draft.

Sincerely a former Season Ticket Holder who still has a soft spot for the Trout.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
It would definitely have been safer, but I think they were swinging for the fences last year hoping that a few of the Americans they drafted would report when/if they are drafted by an NHL team. I was disappointed at first with the Hughes pick but I do understand, he is a guy that could fill the stands. No offence to Cody Morgan or McMichael but they're not going to be doing that. The team has even seen how an Eastern Conference championship doesn't attract more fans so it's boom or bust for the Trout at this point

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They lost out last year on Jack H, could have really used something from that pick. Hopefully they are able to get some quality throughout the rounds, and get people like you back in the arena.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
It would definitely have been safer, but I think they were swinging for the fences last year hoping that a few of the Americans they drafted would report when/if they are drafted by an NHL team. I was disappointed at first with the Hughes pick but I do understand, he is a guy that could fill the stands. No offence to Cody Morgan or McMichael but they're not going to be doing that. The team has even seen how an Eastern Conference championship doesn't attract more fans so it's boom or bust for the Trout at this point

I just find that a team like Mississauga who when it comes to the draft (Never really strong at the table) can't really afford to take a gamble like that. I do see what you're saying though. Missy does need that level of a marketable player. Honestly though if they couldn't get that with MM, its going to be hard at this point.

What's the rule with trading Hughes at this point? Like can you still claim him as defective and try to recoup some picks or has the ship sailed on that?

I am hoping to get to more trout games. When I was a STH, I was living in Sauga and attending College. Now i've been around. Stratford, Owen Sound and now back home to Kitchener. Missy is still one of the nicest arenas in the league and there are still some great people working for them. Maybe ill get a flex pack or two

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Someone posted earlier that they can't recoup a defect pick two years consecutive, if true they don't get any relief. Actually I wonder if they lose his rights since he didn't sign òr if they retain them, likely a academic question anyway.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Would have been nice to know if the proposed or rumoured changes to the goalie OA rule or import draft was in play with the draft coming up.

You would think with the European goalies they would have to announce that a year early to give the teams more time to scout them, but the OA can kick in immediately for next season if this is the case. If Vella can't count as a free OA then they need some help in goal to say the least, and it is a slim field for help.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Would have been nice to know if the proposed or rumoured changes to the goalie OA rule or import draft was in play with the draft coming up.

You would think with the European goalies they would have to announce that a year early to give the teams more time to scout them, but the OA can kick in immediately for next season if this is the case. If Vella can't count as a free OA then they need some help in goal to say the least, and it is a slim field for help.

I wonder if the teams have an idea because yes they should know if the rules are going to be implemented for off-season decision making. I think the Trout are just OK in net, they have to be hoping for a bounce-back year from Ingham as they've already invested so much in his development. As well they have Matthew Dunsmoor signed who seems like an intriguing prospect although he's spent most of the season in Midget AAA

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Goaltending is a thin commodity in this league, Ingham was below league average last year but he hasn't hit his ceiling either, reasonable to expect a better year from him coming up, I suspect he will be seeing more rubber next year.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I just find that a team like Mississauga who when it comes to the draft (Never really strong at the table) can't really afford to take a gamble like that. I do see what you're saying though. Missy does need that level of a marketable player. Honestly though if they couldn't get that with MM, its going to be hard at this point.

What's the rule with trading Hughes at this point? Like can you still claim him as defective and try to recoup some picks or has the ship sailed on that?

I am hoping to get to more trout games. When I was a STH, I was living in Sauga and attending College. Now i've been around. Stratford, Owen Sound and now back home to Kitchener. Missy is still one of the nicest arenas in the league and there are still some great people working for them. Maybe ill get a flex pack or two
I understand where you're coming from but I was pretty happy with the picks they made that did report (Washkurak, Schwindt and Harley all look like players). We'll see how the new regime drafts following the James Boyd era but I am optimistic

Buzzin

Apr 1, 2018
I don’t see Vella back. Give the net to Ingham and let him run with it. Bring in signed Dunsmoor and give him a year behind Ingham to adjust and hope he has a good enough season to use him as trade bait the following season.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
If the OA rules change as rumoured I would keep him, if he plays steady you have more options to trade for picks. I know it won't be a king's ransom for Vella but a team could be desperate later on. May be a moot point though.

Buzzin

Apr 1, 2018
Perhaps it’s time to spend a little more and bring Cooper in as goalie coach. Seems like a new face/voice is needed.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I don’t see Vella back. Give the net to Ingham and let him run with it. Bring in signed Dunsmoor and give him a year behind Ingham to adjust and hope he has a good enough season to use him as trade bait the following season.

I wouldn't do that.

There are a lot of time Missy won this year in games where Inghams save percentage was below .900. Thats not a good look for him. He didn't have a good year. Doesn't mean he wont be good going forward but considering the net was his for the taking this year and it didnt really happen i'd keep vella until Ingham shows more consistency. The last thing you want is an inconsistent goalie and a back up coming out of AAA.

Let Dunsmoor play in B or a A for a while, and have Vella and Ingham split games until the deadline.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Drafted a really good goalie in Joe Ranger. Best goalie at the combine......
DiPietro was a third or fourth round pick if I remember right. Sounds like Joe could be dandy even though he is a tad small according to present day standards.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
DiPietro was a third or fourth round pick if I remember right. Sounds like Joe could be dandy even though he is a tad small according to present day standards.

He is still growing, his dad is 6'3" and mom is 5' 10". Wait until fans get a load of how well he handles the puck. Also, look at clips of Lennox in net, in his stance, his head is almost below the crossbar, how does his size help? Ranger stands tall, is aggressive and is wide.

Interesting note: The net is WIDER than it is TALL. Ranger is 190 lbs of muscle, and wider than any goalie in the draft and finished 2nd at the combine for the off- ice fitness testing.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hopefully he is the real deal, goalies are a big difference maker as there is such a variance throughout the league.

Reactions: hockieguy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad