Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
OHL live is not available for Sudbury and Missy today, I believe Rogers can be thanked for closing their Mississauga operations about 10 months ago.
Still no streaming coverage of Steelhead games as of last Sunday. Very little info available from OHL live. What the heck?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Still no streaming coverage of Steelhead games as of last Sunday. Very little info available from OHL live. What the heck?

Only select home games are broadcast since the Steelheads don't have their own TV crew. The only time they are on TV and OHL Live is if the away team sends their crew down to cover the game

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I definitely think they'll be here for at least a few more years but we'll see how things are following the McLeod era
I think the Richmond extension was for 5 yrs, I am guessing on a 4 yr extension, reading between the lines of that interview.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Only select home games are broadcast since the Steelheads don't have their own TV crew. The only time they are on TV and OHL Live is if the away team sends their crew down to cover the game
Thanks for the explanation. It is a shame they don’t have their own TV crew- surely there are post secondary media programmes at one of the local universities or colleges requiring internships. Is there a radio broadcast of games?
I am new to the area and have been enjoying watching the Steelheads. I guess I have a bit of buyers remorse at buying a package without knowing that only some home games were streamed. Live and learn. The GTA supplies a large number of players to the O and you would think having at very least streaming coverage of home games should be great way of cultivating a loyal fan following.
Hope Steelheads go three for three this week.
Hamilton is certainly one of the teams that loaded up and will be another good measure of where the trout stand in the pecking order.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
No radio either, I sometimes catch the visiting pregame show on the way to the Hersh, if possible. There was talk of a community AM radio station for Mississauga, but never came to pass. It is a shame as other markets get full coverage but Missy is really a extension of Toronto, especially media wise. Doubt many people in Missy read the local news paper, which does have Steelheads coverage. Most stick to the TO papers or major media outlets. Brampton had the same issues.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Both teams will be playing three in three when the Trout go to Hamilton. Hopefully they can keep winning, but have not beaten them yet.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Will be a big test against Hamilton but their biggest game this week is against North Bay, really need to start winning against the teams just ahead of them to have any chance of a top 5 finish

GensLensBrandon

Nov 28, 2017
Will be a big test against Hamilton but their biggest game this week is against North Bay, really need to start winning against the teams just ahead of them to have any chance of a top 5 finish
I definitely see the Steelheads finishing in the 5th spot, especially the way they are playing as of late

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
North bay smoked them badly last time and have been on a roll themselves, but the Trout are playing better.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I definitely see the Steelheads finishing in the 5th spot, especially the way they are playing as of late

I'm being cautious, they were picked to win that division by writers before the season and looked like they were on a tear before Tippet came back, so you never know, but they are looking better and a better team now with some of the changes, better fit overall.
Defense and goaltending, that's key as they will typically score

GensLensBrandon

Nov 28, 2017
I'm being cautious, they were picked to win that division by writers before the season and looked like they were on a tear before Tippet came back, so you never know, but they are looking better and a better team now with some of the changes, better fit overall.
Defense and goaltending, that's key as they will typically score
If Ingham has a solid final stretch and then into the playoffs, it'll look good for Mississauga

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thanks for the explanation. It is a shame they don’t have their own TV crew- surely there are post secondary media programmes at one of the local universities or colleges requiring internships. Is there a radio broadcast of games?
I am new to the area and have been enjoying watching the Steelheads. I guess I have a bit of buyers remorse at buying a package without knowing that only some home games were streamed. Live and learn. The GTA supplies a large number of players to the O and you would think having at very least streaming coverage of home games should be great way of cultivating a loyal fan following.
Hope Steelheads go three for three this week.
Hamilton is certainly one of the teams that loaded up and will be another good measure of where the trout stand in the pecking order.

Feel your pain about subscribing to OHL live when games will be missed with Missy. The Trouts have been hitting the schools hard and there has been a uptick in attendance, one sees a lot of kids at the rink, other rinks nowhere near as many, but kids don't count for a full ticket either. They had a uphill battle before Rogers pulled the plug on their Missy office. No radio or home tv coverage, even the games that are on are usually called by a crew who don't know the Trout and often have wrong facts about the team. I used to not go to games as I was a NFL guy on Sunday, and I think many are as well. Plus, if you have kids playing in the higher competitive leagues, and between tournies and all that they may not have much time for OHL games. I've noticed around other arenas that the bulk of STH are over 50, and those people don't hear about the OHL here unless you look for it, other cities is front page news on the sports section at least. I have thought about this alot, feel free to comment on this, interested what others think.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Feel your pain about subscribing to OHL live when games will be missed with Missy. The Trouts have been hitting the schools hard and there has been a uptick in attendance, one sees a lot of kids at the rink, other rinks nowhere near as many, but kids don't count for a full ticket either. They had a uphill battle before Rogers pulled the plug on their Missy office. No radio or home tv coverage, even the games that are on are usually called by a crew who don't know the Trout and often have wrong facts about the team. I used to not go to games as I was a NFL guy on Sunday, and I think many are as well. Plus, if you have kids playing in the higher competitive leagues, and between tournies and all that they may not have much time for OHL games. I've noticed around other arenas that the bulk of STH are over 50, and those people don't hear about the OHL here unless you look for it, other cities is front page news on the sports section at least. I have thought about this alot, feel free to comment on this, interested what others think.
You have got it right methinks. The elementary school outreach is a great way to create interest in the team and league. Having school day games and busing kids in is a very effective way of catching the interest of kids. Sunday afternoon family day games certainly appeared to bring fans into the building if last Sunday’s game was an indication.
TV and radio coverage IMO is essential. The owner seems like a pretty smart guy and I am surprised he hasn’t done more to make them happen. The Trout have some big name players and are a treat to watch.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I did notice a lot more kids after the school game. I know my current interest started by going to a few games. Hopefully the base keeps growing.

Reactions: Wolf2406

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The OHL provides good exciting hockey at a reasonable cost IMO.
Especially in Missy, the seasons tickets are amongst the lowest around, along as you aren't trying to feed a family at the concessions. I find live hockey much better then TV, much more engaging. What is also good for this location is there are a few road games that are fairly short trips for those who like to get around.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
A bit of a sloppy game last night but the Trout managed to hold on to the one goal lead. A team that needs to get six goals in order to win needs to tighten up defensively IMO. The scoring was spread out amoung each line which is a nice sign. They are 8-2 over the past 10 games.
North Bay are difficult to play against. I hope the Steelheads get off to a better start tomorrow night or they may not be able of dig themselves out of the hole.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
True, but earlier this year a two goal deficit was a hill they couldn't climb. How about Albert M getting two goals and first star against his old team.

NB dropped a home game last night, all the more reason for the Trout to get off to a good start.

Reactions: Wolf2406

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
A bit of a sloppy game last night but the Trout managed to hold on to the one goal lead. A team that needs to get six goals in order to win needs to tighten up defensively IMO. The scoring was spread out amoung each line which is a nice sign. They are 8-2 over the past 10 games.
North Bay are difficult to play against. I hope the Steelheads get off to a better start tomorrow night or they may not be able of dig themselves out of the hole.
Steelheads had a tough time matching Guelph's speed in the first period and the shot clock showed it. They played well enough in the last 40 minutes to win the game, but took their collective feet off the gas pedal when up by three goals in the third, with predictable results. The late Guelph penalty was likely a deciding factor in the game's outcome. I would think tonight's game will be a bigger test.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Troops laid an egg at home last night and the players seemed "disengaged" the local paper said. Could be ripe for two points.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Yes the game was closer than it should have been but wow what a comeback after such a terrible first period! Glad to see the 4th line contribute in getting the GWG. Other than the obvious defensive breakdowns the powerplay was surprisingly cold last night. If they can get that working tonight I think they'll be able to beat NB and get within 1 point of 5th place with a game in hand.

Now the Steelheads are 9-2 in 2018 and are on an 8 game winning streak at home! Really on a roll now and starting to feel just like last season...

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yes the game was closer than it should have been but wow what a comeback after such a terrible first period! Glad to see the 4th line contribute in getting the GWG. Other than the obvious defensive breakdowns the powerplay was surprisingly cold last night. If they can get that working tonight I think they'll be able to beat NB and get within 1 point of 5th place with a game in hand.

Now the Steelheads are 9-2 in 2018 and are on an 8 game winning streak at home! Really on a roll now and starting to feel just like last season...

Last season had them in 2nd place in the conference though, this year they'll likely be unable to even get home ice in the 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad