Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
NB was near the basement at New Years, and the trades really turned them around.

Odd season here in Missy, while everything you suggested is a factor it just seems that bad things happen at the worst time, whether it be a penalty, give away, or a goal.
The trout are entertaining to watch and are tremendously talented as well as scary fast. Hope they can pick up where they left off this afternoon.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Nice to see them close out the weekend with a dominant win. Looks like they'll only be able to catch Ottawa at best so their home and home against the 67's will be their last opportunity to move up in the standings

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice to see them close out the weekend with a dominant win. Looks like they'll only be able to catch Ottawa at best so their home and home against the 67's will be their last opportunity to move up in the standings

Hopefully they take the points, a road win in Peterborough would be nice as well, lost there last time, 6-1, last game Ingham played before Vella's mini run.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Hopefully they take the points, a road win in Peterborough would be nice as well, lost there last time, 6-1, last game Ingham played before Vella's mini run.

It looks like they plan to try again with Ingham, he wasn't bad against Erie but boy were the goals he let in pretty ugly. Over the summer he'll need to work on his positioning during scrums/scrambles in front of the net as he too often overcommits to the original chance and pretty much puts himself out of position to recover

Reactions: Tarantula

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Hope the Steelheads can continue to get the puck deep and out hustle and out strength their opponents on the cycle. When they do that they are the most effective in the offensive end IMO.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The effort along the boards has been a strength for the most part, especially the younger guys. They have been also better getting the puck out of their own end, not often do they get hemmed in as they did earlier this year.

Ingham does need to work on a few things, not sure if his skating is where it should be, he has had some adventures out of the crease.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I don't like seeing R McLeod on the third line, I get the idea of generating three lines with talent, but I would rather see him with his brother and Michnac, or depending on how one would reshuffle, perhaps with Tippet. Seems to me they could be more potent and generate real scoring chances that the shots on goal would seem to indicate they have. All due respect to T Fox, but he is on the second line ahead of RM. Thoughts?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Their cycle game is for sure one of their strengths. All of the lines seem to be able to play this type of game fairly well and allow them to maintain possession in the offensive zone for long stretches of time

And yeah you can either stack the top 6 with your best 6 forwards or split them up over the 3 lines for a more balanced attack. I see how putting the McLeods together would work, especially after how they played together in last years playoff run. I do really like Fox and think he has been playing great recently, we'll see what JR decides to go with for this stretch run and playoffs

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Watched some of the game last weekend - I forget which day but it said it was being brought to us by "Humber College Network"? Is Humber College now stepping in to broadcast the games and use this to develop their media programs? If they are I think that is a great thing!

Hope this is the case, I have wondered if the college could have a symbiotic relationship with the team since Rogers bailed. Anything the Steelheads can do to get more exposure would be great.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I see the point about spreading the lines out, guess there is a reason I sit in the stands and am not standing behind the bench, but the McLeods looked much more effective when together. Pros and cons either way.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I see the point about spreading the lines out, guess there is a reason I sit in the stands and am not standing behind the bench, but the McLeods looked much more effective when together. Pros and cons either way.

Definitely both pros and cons, one reason that reuniting the McLeods would be beneficial is that I have found that Ryan hasn't been able to develop chemistry with any other player other than Mikey. In my opinion Mikey has played well with Michnac, Fox and Carter this season. Maybe that's more of a testament to Mikey's ability over Ryan's though, he's able to make the players around him better

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I also read that Moverare might be out for the rest of the season, he could be back for the 2nd or 3rd round if they make it that far. Pretty disappointing and going to hold them back from going far in the playoffs, tough loss

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I also read that Moverare might be out for the rest of the season, he could be back for the 2nd or 3rd round if they make it that far. Pretty disappointing and going to hold them back from going far in the playoffs, tough loss

Ouch, he is likely gone. Curious, where did you read this? I am trying to find as many sources for team news as I can, thanks!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ah, Twitter. I opened a account just for Steelhead news, I don't tweet myself. I am not following the right sources. Googled him yesterday quickly, I should have thought to check on the NHL team as I did last fall with M McLeod, and Tippet.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
What an up and down game last night, glad to see them finally clinch a playoff spot! Goaltending and defence were shaky again as usual but wow did the McLeods and Fox look dynamic together! With Little-Foget-Tippett still playing well I'm cautiously optimistic for playoffs...

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Agreed, the McLeods and Fox were on fire last night. I really liked how much effort they put in, even when Peterboro would restore their two goal lead. The Trout also came back from 4 in Osh, like the never give up attitude they have been showing. Defense and Goal however.....makes me nervous.

Not a strong defensive zone showing for a few guys last night, some forwards are hardly noticeable there, the Tippet, Foget, Little line were caught running around a few times.

Canade is really developing, great attitude, very effective on the forecheck and works hard for the puck, been a treat to watch.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Fun to watch run and gun hockey for sure but having to score 8 goals to win does not bode well.
Hope JR works on tightening up their defensive game. The Pete’s three Russian kids really benefited from the trouts’ weak play in their own end.
The McLeod brothers sure can be pretty explosive. It would be cool if they could move up to seventh spot and play Barrie in the first round.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Need this one tonight, see if the line combos stay from the last two periods from last night or revert to previous combos. Hopefully the defense shows some more awareness tonight as well. I was expecting the puck to go in every time a team went into the offensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad