Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
See if they keep it up, has been a roller coaster up and down year. Vella had never played this much in his entire OHL career so far, will he be able to keep this up? No Mikey McLeod last night, not sure of his status.
Good to see some better performances on the road.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I hope Vella can keep it up, he plays well enough to win which is enough with this team's offence. It's strange that this team has played better this year with Mikey out of the lineup...they need him to refocus and get back to playing like he did last year

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They were playing good team hockey until both Tippet and McLeod returned. Tippet has been much more engaged lately, and McLeod has been skating more like he did last year, chemistry perhaps? I don't know if they have found the best line combo's for him as well.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
They were playing good team hockey until both Tippet and McLeod returned. Tippet has been much more engaged lately, and McLeod has been skating more like he did last year, chemistry perhaps? I don't know if they have found the best line combo's for him as well.

Tippett didn't look happy to be back for the first 10 games or so but he's been on a tear ever since the Foget trade. As for McLeod he started out hot, but cooled off once he returned from the WJC. I feel like he sometimes is trying to do too much and should probably shoot more instead of looking for that perfect pass.

I liked the line of Michnac - McLeod - Carter but Richmond always seems to change the line combos as soon they have a bad period

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I don't mind JR crossing his lines, while the Tippet line seems set, there seems to be a bit of crossed chemistry elsewhere, which is why I think M McLeod runs around a bit. Perhaps I got spoiled seeing Spencer Watson fit so well with the McLeod brothers last year.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Another shutout and he faced 40 shots, first star as well. They are putting more effort into winning the puck battles along the boards team wide. The deals JR made have been a benefit so far, O'Grady has been a steady addition to their D, Foget and Carter have been a better fit and more talented then the forwards they gave up. And that deal to bring a hardly used back up 19 yr old goalie was a good one too, they look alot better now. The only asset they gave up that is concerning is Rippon, not bad.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Wow a great three game stretch for the Steelheads. They appear to buying in to JR’s system defensively, the young players are busting their asses to earn ice time and their best players are being their best players. They are getting better and better at blocking passing lanes and stealing pucks. They have several guys with really quick hands.
Based on the past three games they are capable of at least an upset in the first round. It would be cool if they played Barrie in the first round.
I doesn’t cost anything to be optimistic!
I was at the game last night and was surprised the crowd wasn’t bigger but.....

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good points, they have been stealing more pucks then giving up, a huge difference from earlier this season.
Mississauga is a different market then any other right now. No real local radio or paper. The GTA has two sports radio stations and they seem to be trying to out do each other on Toronto sports in a competition for ears. They have to keep working on a community level in Mississauga itself, they will likely never draw much from the rest of the GTA. Hopefully more people come out and drink the kool aid.

Reactions: Wolf2406

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice weekend for the Trout, 6 points and 4 of them on the road. They controlled this one thoroughly.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Closing in on Oshawa and Ottawa, point wise.
They have tightened it up defensively, the opposition have had their close chances drop, and the Trout are usually driving the play. The work around the boards continued today, all 4 lines worked for it, the defence has been much more effective at positioning and working the puck out O'Grady is not flashy at all but a rock out there steady veteran. Foget and Carter continue to impress as well.

No Moverare as of yet, but in the meanwhile the D has been much more consistent. Great weekend for the Trout.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
They have tightened it up defensively, the opposition have had their close chances drop, and the Trout are usually driving the play. The work around the boards continued today, all 4 lines worked for it, the defence has been much more effective at positioning and working the puck out O'Grady is not flashy at all but a rock out there steady veteran. Foget and Carter continue to impress as well.

No Moverare as of yet, but in the meanwhile the D has been much more consistent. Great weekend for the Trout.

The Trout looked good today, like they are gearing up for the playoffs. Wish I could say the same about the team they were playing.

And those are smart looking uniforms to boot.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
The trout appear to be coming together. M.Mcleod is looking much better defensively and boy is he fast. Hope the Swedish defenseman gets back soon.
Go Steelheads!!

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Glad to see Mikey have a strong game yesterday as I truly believe they will only go as far as he can carry them. Vella keeps on rolling and if they can beat North Bay on Thursday they will be 2 points behind them with a game in hand! Exciting times as we head into the stretch run

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
I would assume Vella keeps getting majority of starts and into playoffs if he keeps playing well. Tough spot for Ingham being his draft year but just never seemed to get it together this year for any period of time.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I hope so, it looks like this year is mostly a write-off for Ingham but he will get another opportunity to be a starting goalie in this league next year

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I would assume Vella keeps getting majority of starts and into playoffs if he keeps playing well. Tough spot for Ingham being his draft year but just never seemed to get it together this year for any period of time.

I'm glad Vella is getting the opportunity, feel for Ingham, draft year and all, but he has struggled all year, I'm sure he will bounce back to expectations.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Agree with Steel Fishbowl, M McLeod is the main key to how they do (provided no goaltending issues) in the playoffs. He has really hustled lately and has been paying the price along the boards, takes a beating.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
#9 is looking more and more interested in making a playoff run. He is playing a more physical game and taking advantage of his reach and size. If he stays engaged good things should happen IMO.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
He has been working hard all over the ice, even behind his own net. Seems to be hitting his top gear now, he did have surgery on his knee last fall. He is uncanny at taking the puck away while forechecking, or at least disrupting the breakout. The Trout have picked up the intensity since the Peterborough loss. They usually have their opposition chasing the puck, much more attention to their Dzone as well, they have really cut down the loose chances.
Tippet has been a different player lately as well, looks like he is gearing it up, he can change a game in a hurry.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
He has been working hard all over the ice, even behind his own net. Seems to be hitting his top gear now, he did have surgery on his knee last fall. He is uncanny at taking the puck away while forechecking, or at least disrupting the breakout. The Trout have picked up the intensity since the Peterborough loss. They usually have their opposition chasing the puck, much more attention to their Dzone as well, they have really cut down the loose chances.
Tippet has been a different player lately as well, looks like he is gearing it up, he can change a game in a hurry.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
I agree on Mike McLeod, he seems to be more engaged and comfortable with his line mates as well Owen Tippett is comfortable playing with Foget. The younger players appear to to be gaining confidence by leaps and bounds.
Let’s hope the Steelheads can maintain the momentum shown in the past four games.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I have been impressed with the growth of the rookies and younger players as well, they skate and work for the puck, eager bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad