Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Disappointing game for sure. Ingham has not played up to expectations after posting a .907 SV% in his rookie season including that sensational run in the second half before Mancina took over. The defence as a whole has been a bit of a mess all season. Hopefully Moverare can stabilize the defence when he returns

Reactions: Tarantula

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
There has been a couple goalies regress this season but Ingham has intrigued me. Though Missy has had their struggles, he has ample time to adjust his game to help compensate for the short comings of his team's defensive play but hasn't. Guys like McGrath and Richardson have had inconsistent seasons but their are many factors to consider with those two; least of which is a revolving door of goalies being brought in. Plays terrible mind games on a goalie.
Only saw the highlights vs the Pete's which is not an indicator of how a goalie actually played, but in person Ingham has a tendency to let in questionable goals at the wrong time.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
They've definitely given Ingham every opportunity to grab a hold of the starter's job and he just hasn't been able to put together a solid stretch of games. It's interesting because last year I found he was solid at making the saves he should be making but unable to stop the dangerous scoring chances. And now it's the opposite, I've seen countless highlight reel saves but he's also letting in his fair share of stinkers and ones that just squeak through...can really demoralize the team at times where they need those saves.

Yeah tough for McGrath with the Wolves bringing in Culina, then thrusting him back into the starter's role. Richardson however has been his usual self, hasn't really proven to be more than an average OHL starter

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Seems like their mistakes wind up in the net moreso then who they play. Poor Dzone coverage, Ingham did not have a strong game as a result. With you Wolf, this team has been like that all year.

They have a tonne talent but they are an enigma!
Maybe they need to play young guys in more key situations and start preparing them for next season. They do have a group of promising youngsters. Lots of grit and desire.
Some of their NHL drafted kids look uninterested at times.

That 1-9 starth had been quite a hill to climb

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good points above by all. I feel much better with Vella right now, I am not saying he is suddenly top shelf, but he has been steady and has a winning record.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I agree Tarantula, Vella will not take you to the promised land but he has been around a lot of locker rooms and some of that experience has got to rub off on a guy. Also, Vella is playing for a spot somewhere next year, in whatever league it is; as a 20 year old he is not starter material in the OHL.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good point about his future, and he has been better as the season along. I think he has earned more starts going forward. Even at that.... better defense wouldn't hurt. Too often a opp forward is slipping in uncovered for a good shot, the Trout usually give up more of those clean chances then they get.

Reactions: Wolf2406

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough road loss, the Trout showed some fight and had NB running around the last part of the game. M McLeod and Canade had them on their heels with their forechecking just before OT. Mississauga were working harder for the puck in the third especially.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Who was the back-up goalie yesterday and where was Ingham?
Matthew Dunsmoor was the backup. Ingham finished the prior game in Peterboro, not sure what his status is, could be as simple as the flu, tons of it going around here.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Tough road loss, the Trout showed some fight and had NB running around the last part of the game. M McLeod and Canade had them on their heels with their forechecking just before OT. Mississauga were working harder for the puck in the third especially.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
They seemed to play with more emotion in the NB game right after a NB player ran M. McLeod and 18 jumped the guy. They worked hard to force the game to overtime and carried the emotion and work ethic into the Flint game.
Hope they can bottle the emotion and work ethic and carry it into their remaining games. Nice effort by the depth guys today-looks good for the future methinks.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They were winning a lot of puck battles again today. Seems like they are bearing down and skating, carried the play again today. Varga returns and gets his first OHL goal, and a shutout for Vella. 3 out of 4 this weekend for the Trout, and they deserved better in OT against NB.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
BTW, not be harping, but Vella made some nice saves today, and was steady throughout. I think he has earned the starting role, if they got this kind of goaltending all year, what a difference in the standings and contention talk they would be. Vella did have a couple bad games as well earlier granted, but he looks the part now.

Reactions: Wolf2406

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Glad to see Varga get his first goal, he's had a tough season but he has so much speed and you can see the skill is there, looking forward to watching his progression over the next few years.

Vella has been great recently, and the desperation glove save he made on Clarke was one of the best saves I've seen all season!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Vella has seemed to grow into being a legit OHL goaltender. Really liked how they played yesterday, much better defensively. Kudos to Varga, like what I am seeing from Washaruk as well, these rookies will benefit from the ice time they have received this year, with some veterans gone earlier this year they got quite a bit of ice. Canade has been a hard worker, can't miss his effort on the ice, he is also a effective forechecker, a factor along the boards using his smarts and hustle.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
After a bit of a rough start to his Steelheads career he has been great especially in the new year, hopefully he can keep it up and carry them into the playoffs! Overall this rookie crop has been great, much better than last year I would say but I'm not sure if any of them will be high end OHL players like the ones we've been lucky to see come through this organization the past 3-4 years. Oh well, let's enjoy their careers here while we can and I would love to see this team come together like I know they have the talent to

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They have been moving the puck out of their end better and winning puck battles, especually against Flint. See how they fare in those areas on the road tomorrow against a better opponent in Barrie.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
They have played very well against Barrie so far this season and this could be an important game if they end up meeting Barrie in the first round, I desperately want them to avoid the Bulldogs but they still have games against Niagara (x2), North Bay, Oshawa (x2) and Ottawa (x2) so their destiny is still very much in their hands to climb up to 6th which is realistically as high as they can climb at this point

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
They have played very well against Barrie so far this season and this could be an important game if they end up meeting Barrie in the first round, I desperately want them to avoid the Bulldogs but they still have games against Niagara (x2), North Bay, Oshawa (x2) and Ottawa (x2) so their destiny is still very much in their hands to climb up to 6th which is realistically as high as they can climb at this point

This maybe a little easier

MISSISSAUGA 56g 53pts

Thu, Feb 22 MISS v BAR
Fri, Feb 23 NIAG v MISS
Sun, Feb 25 MISS v GUE
Wed, Feb 28 MISS v OSH
Fri, Mar 2 NB v MISS
Sun, Mar 4 ER v MISS

Thu, Mar 8 MISS v PBO
Fri, Mar 9 OSH v MISS
Sun, Mar 11 MISS v OTT
Fri, Mar 16 OTT v MISS
Sat, Mar 17 MISS v NIAG
Sun, Mar 18 KGN v MISS

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I had heard E Kerr at the eve of the season on the Fan PTS, pretty much the same talking points as the article. Not hugely surprising, short term. As far as attendance goes it goes up after the NFL season ends, especially Sunday games. The name change is a surprise, ironically there is no place to go to eat near the arena that doesn't require a drive. Too bad they didn't have a larger presence or media footprint here, though I can see why.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If Mississauga gets hot going into the playoffs and have Vella as their starting goalie, they could upset just about anyone in the East in round 1. Especially if they get that 2/7 matchup with Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad