Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Only select home games are broadcast since the Steelheads don't have their own TV crew. The only time they are on TV and OHL Live is if the away team sends their crew down to cover the game
I phoned the Hershey Centre and spoke to someone there about the streaming feed and they assured me the Guelph and North Bay games will be streamed. The coverage last night was ok but froze a couple of times but that may been the fault of my wifi. The team is terrific offensively, defence not so much.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Last season had them in 2nd place in the conference though, this year they'll likely be unable to even get home ice in the 1st round

Yeah it looks like they won't be able to unless we see a major collapse from Barrie (which is possible with the way they have been playing recently). However, I wouldn't mind seeing them finish in the 6th or 7th spot as I'd like for them to avoid Hamilton for as long as possible seeing as they've completely run over the Trout in every game so far this season

Reactions: Wolf2406

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Tough loss last night. They jumped out to a nice lead but IMO they let down in the second period and shot themselves in the foot. Guys trying to do too much on there own. They didn’t adjust to The Bay’s trapping defence and it was turn over after turn over. Dump and chase is not a bad way to go sometimes. They are a fast team that when they chose to they can get to a dump in first and use their skill on the cycle.
Hope it goes better for them tonight. Chalk up another win for Coach Butler.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough loss last night, too many breakdowns defensively. North Bay could smell blood, I think they had 19 shots in the third period. Hopefully they will be tighter in their zone tonight. 3 in 3 for both teams.

Everybody on my side thought Missy scored in the second with the score 3-2 in their favour but play kept going and goal not allowed after review. Never did see a replay. Cannot figure out how it didn't go in.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Tough loss last night, too many breakdowns defensively. North Bay could smell blood, I think they had 19 shots in the third period. Hopefully they will be tighter in their zone tonight. 3 in 3 for both teams.

Everybody on my side thought Missy scored in the second with the score 3-2 in their favour but play kept going and goal not allowed after review. Never did see a replay. Cannot figure out how it didn't go in.
I thought it was a goal as well. On a positive note it is nice to see that a couple of Ottawa Valley kids
are contributing to the Trouts efforts. Foget and Carter both averaging over a point a game.
Hope they can handle the Bulldogs tonight. The dogs have made a number of good acquisitions at the trade deadline.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Drat a game that the Trout should have won got away. Played tighter defensively but lacked discipline tonight.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The D was much cleaner around their own net and Vella benefited, looked steady again. Hamilton doesn't seem spectacular, but a solid team through their lineup, good to see the Trout skate with the conference leaders on the road.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I think they will finish higher then 7th, and I believe they will win a playoff round.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Odd season, lots of ups and downs. I think they are beginning to round out into form. Moverare will make a difference once he returns and gets his legs back. Between the NHL keeping a couple of guys at the start and then the WJC, and now a injury to Moverare they have been short a key player or two for most of the year. The East is certainly tougher this year all around.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Barrie rolled over Hamilton today, hopefully they have a lull tomorrow at the Hersh.
Playoff ticket forms were released yeaterday to STH.

Side note: purchased tickets via online for the game earlier in London when 'Sauga rolled through, and there wasn't many to choose from. I just received a email from their account rep offering tickets to the game sat night, $19 a shot and included a promo code. Sounds like London fans have been dumping tickets after the team sold off at the trade deadline. Insert sarcastic thoughts here...............

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Wonder who starts in goal tomorrow, one could make a good case for either. I hope Vella gets a reward for how he has been playing, but they likely will start Ingham Friday. Ingham has been under a microscope, tough spot for a 17 yr old, he has a future in this league and beyond.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Wonder who starts in goal tomorrow, one could make a good case for either. I hope Vella gets a reward for how he has been playing, but they likely will start Ingham Friday. Ingham has been under a microscope, tough spot for a 17 yr old, he has a future in this league and beyond.
I agree Ingham has continued to improve and is playing with more confidence. Hope the trout are able to match match up as well with the Barrie’s top 5 as they did last time they played.
The schedule the rest of the way will require them to play with some desperation if they want to finish above the 7th or 8th seed.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I don't like to sound as I'm picking on him, a lot of talent there, and room to grow as he is in his second year. I think Vella has been as good as any back up could be right now.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, they did match up well with their top line, I expect a quick pace to start the game, wouldn't be surprised to see a quick opening goal by either team.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Should be a great game, maybe a preview of a potential 1st round matchup? If the Steelheads can shut down Barrie's top line then I like their chances

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Should be a great game, maybe a preview of a potential 1st round matchup? If the Steelheads can shut down Barrie's top line then I like their chances
They did a nice job of shutting down the Luchuk line last time they played them. Barrie is the OHL leader in penalty minutes I think. Hope they hold true to form and the trout don’t bite when baited ( so to speak.)

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Nice win for the Trout. They stayed disciplined for the most part and did a good job of hunting down pucks and taking advantage of their opportunities. Vella made the saves he needed to keep the fish in the game early. All the members of the Luchuk line in the minus column. Sokolov minus 4.
Go Fish!

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They have been winning the puck battles more often lately. They seem to have more jump then the Colts tonight. For the most part they looked much better defensively, keeping tabs on the front of the net. Vella looked good and solid again tonight. Good to see the Trout pick up the pace again.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
It is interesting to see players develop. The rookies this year have been looking good, Canade and Gaylor have been noticeable but 92 Washkurak is looking stronger as the season goes on, Schwind has been their leading rookie scorer.

Hague is now having a quite the year as well now, he has been playing on a different level on both sides of the ice the last while.

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
Re Ingham. Still #3 ranked NA goalie for draft despite 3rd last in league GAA and if playoffs start tomorrow do you really have confidence in him vs Vella? People always spoke of how weak 2000 age goalie class was and it is certainly playing out that way if you look at performance to date of 30 or so drafted goalies. Besides Inghams #s he just looks off for most of year.

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
The coach needs to settle the boys down for the entire 60 minutes. Last night came too close to a repeat of last Friday when they blew a 3-goal lead to North Bay and ended up losing. Nice to see Tippett score. Amazing short-handed goal by Foget. Still seem to be having some trouble clearing the puck. Vella kept them in the game early.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Re Ingham. Still #3 ranked NA goalie for draft despite 3rd last in league GAA and if playoffs start tomorrow do you really have confidence in him vs Vella? People always spoke of how weak 2000 age goalie class was and it is certainly playing out that way if you look at performance to date of 30 or so drafted goalies. Besides Inghams #s he just looks off for most of year.

At this point Vella has earned the no 1 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad