Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by CanadianFlyer88, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Rebels57

Rebels57 Registered User

I saw it. You don't wanna know. It was barbaric.

;)

2. Prongo

Prongo Beer Sponsor

None of this is helping!

3. MacDonald4MVP

MacDonald4MVP Registered User

One thing that hits home from Boynton article is even though you know something is wrong you don't ask for help because of social stigma. That's why all the awareness efforts need to be applauded.

4. OzFlyers

OzFlyers Registered Boozer

5. LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91 Registered User

Where’s Putin?

[​IMG]

6. Sombastate

Sombastate Registered User

I'm catching up, still on page 240.

But i wanna say that my girlfriend is currently going through an episode of depression, and i'm watching my best friend suffer and its tough.

So to all of you guys out there, stay strong. And i speak for everyone (i think), that if you ever need to vent, sometimes it easier to do so to a stranger, do NOT hesitate to message any of us. We'll lend you an ear.

ok, back to reading.

7. RespectTheProvorov

RespectTheProvorov please return the idoit to ND

Lots of whining about Gina being #4, I guess you can debate the spot BUT **** them and him and Pitt, aaahhhh that felt good

8. LegionOfDoom91

They still would have to win the lottery but you have to be liking this tire fire going on in Ottawa if you’re Colorado right now.

9. MacDonald4MVP

MacDonald4MVP Registered User

If gusev is in same tier as Tarasenko then Vegas really done ****ed up by alienating Shipachyov.

10. The Madrigal

The Madrigal Registered User

Tattoo Artist
    I agree. People, and especially men are made to feel weak or embarrassed if they need help for mental health or addiction issues, it shouldn't be that way.

11. Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer Registered User

To each his own, but it always surprises me to read so much Holmgren love. I legitimately believe he’s one of the worst general managers in the history of professional sports.

I strongly disagree with the premise that he helmed some kind of miraculous turnaround job when he took over. He inherited a great situation, record that year be damned. Very few GMs get to take over what had been a perennial playoff team, have a 21 year old Carter & Richards, a 26 year old 40 goal scoring Gagne, 22 year old 4th overall pick defenseman Pitkanen, Peter Forsberg as trade bait, 18 y/o Claude Giroux in the system, the #2 overall pick & first pick in round 2, tons of upcoming draft picks in general, & massive cap space to sign Briere, Timonen, Hartnell, & Biron.

The team he inherited couldn’t have been set up better for a quick turnaround.

The situation he got to inherit, vs. the situation he left for Hextall to inherit, are laughable. And that’s not even including that Holmgren luckily got saved from some of his worst moves.

12. The Madrigal

Tattoo Artist
    Revisionist history. Holmgren did a phenomenal job as GM of the Flyers until his last couple of years when he become desperate to get Snider another cup before he died.

You can say that Holmgren was set up to succeed when he took over, which is true, but he still had to make good moves and he did. Trading Zhitnik for Coburn. Having the foresight to trade for Marty Biron to help him land Danny Briere that summer. Turning a pending UFA Forsberg who only had one good foot left at the time into Timonen, Hartnell, and Upshall.

The list goes on and one after that initial deadline/summer that he was GM. The Pronger trade was great. Signing Emery at a bargain rate was a great move and the team wins the cup in 2010 if that hip doesn't go bad. Trading OKT and a 5th for Ville Leino was a steal. The Carter and Richards trades were great moves, etc etc.

No doubt about that Holmgren got silly over his last couple of years as GM but he was great for the first few years. I would say four moves did Holmgren in and one of them was Snider's move 100%. Brygalov, Lecavalier, JVR for Schenn, and the MacDonald trade/contract.

Again though, to not give Holmgren credit for turning the worst team in the league around into a Stanley cup finalist in three years and ignoring the many good moves he did make is revisionist history.

hatcher and kudymen like this.
  13. Embiid

Embiid Trust!

A GM that had a highly inconsistent stint as GM is not phenomenal. He was good initially....very inconsistent in between and terrible at the end. He was always fixing his own mistakes. He was also too supine to be his own man with Snider. Case in point....Bryzaster

bobbythebrain likes this.
  14. sabremike

sabremike Registered User

I've been dealing with severe depression, anxiety and OCD since around my college days and I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to do with having been mercilessly bullied as a kid. You are not alone in dealing with mental illness and people like me and others on these boards are going through this and we will always be here for you. I give you my highest praise for sharing your story and helping fight the stigma our society still regrettably has towards mental illness.

15. Flyerfan13

Flyerfan13 Registered User Sponsor

16. The Madrigal

Tattoo Artist
    I didn't say he was a phenomenal GM. I said he did a phenomenal job until the last couple of years where he got silly and he did. It's trendy as a Flyers fan to bash Holmgren though so people constantly and conveniently fail to give Holmgren credit for the amazing job he did initially to turn the franchise around. Just like I said, revisionist history. He took a team from last place in the league in 2006-2007 and had them in the cup finals in 2010 and a number of his moves were a big reason why.

hatcher likes this.
  17. Stizzle

Stizzle Registered User

Remember the Sens owe Colorado a 1st. This year or next year unprotected. What a mess.

18. LegionOfDoom91

Craig was saying the same thing with the Isles back in 2014. At a minimum I’d imagine Colorado will be walking away with at least a top ten pick next year.

Capfriendly is saying Ottawa already deferred the pick to next year anyway.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  19. kudymen

kudymen Authority over logic!

Shopper Marketing Analyst
    Wild guess, he is 0 right above Kuznetsov

20. Psuhockey

Psuhockey Registered User

Paul Holmgren was GM for 7 seasons if you take out his interim 1st season. He missed the playoffs once. He made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs 4 times. He made the Easter conference finals twice and the Stanley cup finals once.

If you judge a GM on actual record, it’s hard to justify saying he is one of the worst GMs in the history of professional sports. There have been teams with way more talent and assets that haven’t come anywhere close to that level of success.

21. The Madrigal

Tattoo Artist
    Dropping truth bombs bro.

22. Deadpool8812

Deadpool8812 Registered User

Holmgren was a good GM. If you think other wise, you're only taking into consideration everything after 2010. He stepped down at the right time though

23. deadhead

deadhead Registered User

Holmgren was a good GM as long as he could spend like a drunken sailor.
    Once the cap started to constrain his options, he was lost, because he wasn't a good drafter.
    In the "real cap" era, when you can't amnesty out of bad contracts, Holmgren soon found himself over his head.

Problem for some fans is they haven't grasped the implications of a hard cap - it completely changes your strategy.
    You need a steady flow of cost controlled talent to afford a few big contracts, and the operative word is "few."

24. Deadpool8812

Deadpool8812 Registered User

Holmgren probably would have been alright if he also didn't have Ed in his business (RIP)

25. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Registered User

In Holmgren first full season as Flyers GM, the cap was $50.3m.

He was still GM when the Flyers used the amnesty buyout on Bryzgalov.