Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Claude Giroux never winning a Cup would be a shame. That's what I occupy my waking thoughts with.

And I doubt Capitals fans would cheer us and Giroux on.

Ovi + the fact that I've seen half their team play for the Bears before they made it big in the NHL make a Caps Cup victory a thumbs up from me.

You're exempt because you grew up in the Hershey area. But only because of childhood indoctrination, which I cannot rightfully blame you for, Strawberry. And therapy will take time. I want you to know I'm here for you though.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Giroux is a great player, but he isn't one of the best goal scorers of all time. He's "just" one of many elite players of his time.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If it's to silence the critics stupidly doubting, "Can the Caps win with Ovechkin?!"........to say that I say, of course they can, you muppets. You can win with any great player if the team is good and you have a good/lucky playoff run. It was never his fault; he always carried his weight. It's like Kessel x 2. Narratives stink.

But the Flyers can’t win with Giroux.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s really not easy to win a Stanley Cup despite fans & media railing on players/teams like it is. There’s multiple really good teams that don’t win it every year & luck does play a good part in separating the winner from the other contenders who don’t really have much of difference in quality of rosters.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s really not easy to win a Stanley Cup despite fans & media railing on players/teams like it is. There’s multiple really good teams that don’t win it every year & luck does play a good part in separating the winner from the other contenders who don’t really have much of difference in quality of rosters.

Hottest goalie often wins too

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
The phrase "Heavy Seattle" just made me think of a grunge band and then wonder if @Captain Dave Poulin hates grunge and then if he'd associate grunge with Seattle's hockey team and then put them on The List by association.

Flannel and workboots is for lumberjacks, not angst ridden suburban pencil dicks.

Just saying

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The phrase "Heavy Seattle" just made me think of a grunge band and then wonder if @Captain Dave Poulin hates grunge and then if he'd associate grunge with Seattle's hockey team and then put them on The List by association.

I'm mostly indifferent to grunge and don't have anything against it, though I like some Nirvana. The SubPop label is one of my faves, though. I won't have anything against the Seattle team coming out of the gates, because unlike Vegas, there is a "there" there. Also, I haven't heard tens of thousands of doinks say "Seattle, baby, yeah!" or "What happens in Seattle stays in Seattle!"

Reactions: Jray42 and Magua

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Daily reminder:

The Flyers haven't won a Cup in 43 years and people want a heated division rival to win the Cup for the 3rd straight year. It would be their first Cup. So, we can then have that thrown in our faces.

Long ago the Flyers were the first expansion team to win the Cup. Vegas is an expansion team set up to pull it off, albeit in their first year. I have more of a camaraderie with that team and their fans than the damn Capitals. I'm sure original 6 teams loathed this measly expansion team winning too. There's actually zero negative to the Knights winning, and it makes other teams look stupid to boot.

WHERE IS YOUR SCHADENFREUDE, PEOPLE?! FIND IT.

Seriously. I don't know what it takes to get people to tap into spite, but I have been trying to remind everyone all along and it doesn't seem to be doing much good. Apparently, ****ing Ovechkin is some cuddly, adorable ****ing stuffed bear and we should all knuckle our cheeks and swoon that his adorable ass finally has a chance to not choke. **** that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Giroux is a great player, but he isn't one of the best goal scorers of all time. He's "just" one of many elite players of his time.

Who gives a **** though? What about passion, rivalry, hate, heat?

There's our side and there's their side. The ****ing Caps are their side. I'm not telling you how to be a fan (even though it sounds like I am, and that's only because I'm right), but it seems to me like a good idea to draw a line in the sand, clench your hand into a fist, and fight, and when you can't fight, at least scream and complain and spew vitriol.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Saw today that Holtby has the 3rd best GAA ever in the playoffs and 2nd in SV% for career playing 35 games(I believe)

Pretty crazy to have those numbers and just now getting past the 2nd Rd. It shows how much it is a team game.

Yeah, his organization really badly needs a Heimlich. They suck.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Seriously. I don't know what it takes to get people to tap into spite, but I have been trying to remind everyone all along and it doesn't seem to be doing much good. Apparently, ****ing Ovechkin is some cuddly, adorable ****ing stuffed bear and we should all knuckle our cheeks and swoon that his adorable ass finally has a chance to not choke. **** that.

Im real sorry to do this to ya Cap

a1O66.gif

a1O66.gif

a1O66.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or you can just enjoy the games and not care who wins.
I don't really hate anyone in the NHL right now.
On the other hand, the Cowboys and Patriots, grrrrrrr.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I hope someone rescues that dog.

Not for nothing, I know you feel the same way I do about NBC - how do you feel about getting their slobber all over you while you cuddle up to this piece of ****? I didn't think I had to do this, but I'm sending you a copy of my latest book, "The Things Which Do and Do Not Totally Suck"

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I dislike dogs. And a guy making $9.5 million from now until the Rapture can afford a MUCH better Halloween costume that doesn't feature hangdog ears, a mismatched belt, and sewed-on shoulder pads.

Also:

Dale Hunter was a crime against humanity on skates. Go Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->