Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Vegas needs to lose because the crying on here would be unbearable. :laugh:
To be fair, if Vegas won, maybe it would be a welcome but brief divergence from the Hakstol crying; but, regardless of what happens, there's always something to cry about on a sports message board. ;)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Winnipeg are the 3rd heaviest team in the league, and full of veterans. Vegas' top 7 forwards were skilled enough to average 59 points in 74 games in the regular season.

Your narratives make no sense at all anymore. I suspect another full year of thinking up excuses for Simple Hak finally broke your brain.

Winnipeg doesn't play a 'heavy' game, they like to skate but they were MIA otherwise. Compare to the Caps.

Vegas doesn't play a heavy game, but they're very disciplined and play two way hockey, a lot of their scoring chances came off the forecheck.
The telling stat in the playoffs, TK/GV
Karlsson 18/6
Perron 13/6
Eakin 8/3
Neal 7/4
PEB 8/4
All forwards combined: 112/65
Flyers PO Forwards: 16/24

Flyers best regular season: Couts 48/37; Simmonds 38/27; Filppula 36/37; Giroux 34/44; Voracek 33/65; Patrick 32/33; TK 31/38; Raffl 28/24
Vegas best regular season: Karlsson 78/46; Eakin 60/31; Marshessault 59/48; Tuch 57/29; Schmidt 57/57; Smith 54/47; PEB 49/25; Neal 49/32; Perron 48/33; Haula 44/37; Nosek 36/14

There may be a home scoring bias, still this is so extreme and reflects what you see that it has to be a deliberate strategy to pressure the puck and cause turnovers.

Winnipeg by TOI in the playoffs

top 4 D-men: Byfuglien (32), Trouba (23), Morrissey (22), Myers (27)
top 9 forwards: Scheifele (24), Wheeler (31), Laine (19), Connor (21), Stastny (32), Ehlers (21), Little (30), Taney (26), Lowry (24)

Vegas only had two players under 25: Tuch (21), Theodore (22).

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I don't think Kane's contract is all that bad. It seems like a good situation in San Jose and it wouldn't shock me to see him have a really solid year. Probably about 1-1.5M per year too much, and probably 1-2 years too long. It isn't a good contract, but its not that terrible either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Burns signed at $8m till age 40

Vlasic signed at $7m till age 38

Now Kane signed at $7m till age 34.

These are all contracts that would worry me as a Sharks fan. Kane has blown hot and cold his whole career, and you're counting on that top pairing to be a top pairing well into their late 30s. Plus they have Pavelski becoming a UFA at age 35.

Reactions: BigToe

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Burns signed at $8m till age 40

Vlasic signed at $7m till age 38

Now Kane signed at $7m till age 34.

These are all contracts that would worry me as a Sharks fan. Kane has blown hot and cold his whole career, and you're counting on that top pairing to be a top pairing well into their late 30s. Plus they have Pavelski becoming a UFA at age 35.

I would never give a player like Kane a contract like that. Too long and that NTC is brutal

There will be a whole lot of "day ruing" in San Jose.

If they resign Thornton we'll know the Sharks team doctor has found the fountain of youth.

No other way to explain it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Winnipeg are the 3rd heaviest team in the league, and full of veterans. Vegas' top 7 forwards were skilled enough to average 59 points in 74 games in the regular season.

Your narratives make no sense at all anymore. I suspect another full year of thinking up excuses for Simple Hak finally broke your brain.

I don't get it because after the first games were won by Caps and Jets, he said heavier teams won. Now the Jets are going home and suddenly the Jets are soft/lightweight but Vegas are heavy. Wat

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I don't get it because after the first games were won by Caps and Jets, he said heavier teams won. Now the Jets are going home and suddenly the Jets are soft/lightweight but Vegas are heavy. Wat

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Heavy" is physical play, hitting, putting the body on people, what the Caps did to TB.
You can have a large team that doesn't play heavy, it's hard to have a small team that plays heavy only b/c they'll wear down.
JVR is a good example of a larger player who plays soft.

Vegas doesn't play "heavy," not sure what term you want to use, "high pressure?"
They don't hit a lot but they constantly harass the puck on both the fore check and back check.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Daily reminder:

The Flyers haven't won a Cup in 43 years and people want a heated division rival to win the Cup for the 3rd straight year. It would be their first Cup. So, we can then have that thrown in our faces.

Long ago the Flyers were the first expansion team to win the Cup. Vegas is an expansion team set up to pull it off, albeit in their first year. I have more of a camaraderie with that team and their fans than the damn Capitals. I'm sure original 6 teams loathed this measly expansion team winning too. There's actually zero negative to the Knights winning, and it makes other teams look stupid to boot.

WHERE IS YOUR SCHADENFREUDE, PEOPLE?! FIND IT.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Daily reminder:

The Flyers haven't won a Cup in 43 years and people want a heated division rival to win the Cup for the 3rd straight year. It would be their first Cup. So, we can then have that thrown in our faces.

Long ago the Flyers were the first expansion team to win the Cup. Vegas is an expansion team set up to pull it off, albeit in their first year. I have more of a camaraderie with that team and their fans than the damn Capitals. I'm sure original 6 teams loathed this measly expansion team winning too. There's actually zero negative to the Knights winning, and it makes other teams look stupid to boot.

WHERE IS YOUR SCHADENFREUDE, PEOPLE?! FIND IT.

I think at the end of the day, i'll be happier if Vegas wins. I just won't be unhappy if Washington wins.

Ovechkin has been my favorite non-Flyer since he entered the league, and he hasn't done anything to change that despite playing him in the Playoffs twice. Seeing him get a Cup would be gratifying. It would also anger Penguins fans, which I enjoy thoroughly.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think at the end of the day, i'll be happier if Vegas wins. I just won't be unhappy if Washington wins.

Ovechkin has been my favorite non-Flyer since he entered the league, and he hasn't done anything to change that despite playing him in the Playoffs twice. Seeing him get a Cup would be gratifying. It would also anger Penguins fans, which I enjoy thoroughly.

giphy.gif

He can get a Cup with Vegas in 2021-2022.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't hate the Caps nearly as much as I hate the Rangers, Penguins, and Devils.
Crosby has won 3 Cups. Ovechkin never winning one would be a shame.

This must be the first Stanley Cup final in a very long time where I don't have a team to actively root against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad