MIRACLE on ICE - Swiss Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulPosition

Mar 2, 2004
Everwinter Montreal
Mystic said:
That's just a frustrated post. Is Zidane French for you? Is Henry French? Is Wiltord French?
Ovechkin? No, because he's already played with Russia. The rules have been same for everybody for many many years. And just right now you're coming and saying they are ********. That's just mad. If Paul Di Pietro hadn't scored two goals, you would have shut up.
Not to mention that these first few successes, the swiss owe them to a complete turn-around in player selection. That's right, after a few beatings, like 4 or 5 years ago, new people in charge asked the swiss players what would make their team play better and they all said "more swiss less foreign". They did go that route and lo and behold, here come some results.

Sure, they're not championship contending yet, but it's ironic that avsguy bring a point that's now almost (DiPietro, who else?) moot.

Zorkan

I have read the whole thread and would like to make some
comments as a swiss.

I don't think any swiss would use the term "miracle on ice" for the
two victories, because it is clearly associated with USA 80. Those
two situations can't be compared at all and thus that term should
be avoided. HOWEVER, to us swiss, winning against the Czech and
especially winning against Canada indeed looks like miracle! We
have the utmost respect for those two hockey nations and it's
just totally incredible to beat them in their best lineups (their
choice = their fault, so please no discussion what selection
might have been better).

It is very unrealistic to think that the swiss team could play the
same game as Canada or the Czech Republic, we simply don't
have the players for that. We are likely to get outplayed by the
big hockey nations, but they have to beat us nevertheless! If you
don't have the tools you have to work harder. If you work harder
and win, it is moot to say that the opponent played better.

These games were HUGE for us! We don't care that they haven't
been in the medal round, nobody in their right mind would think
that Switzerland could get a medal in a tournament where all the
NHL players are playing! For crying out loud, we hardly ever beat
Team Canada or the Czech when they are not playing with their
NHL players! We were happy to qualify for the Olympics after the
sorry performance in Salt Lake City. Qualifying for the quarterfinals
was an ambitious goal that started to look more realistic once
Sturm and Hecht dropped out of the german team. Those wins
are huge for us. We don't care if they aren't important for the
Canadians. Any game in the Olympics should be important and
teams should show up to win for each game.

Since you probably don't know much about swiss, you should
know that the games against Germany and Italy will be quite
hard for us. We have always been able to pull off the odd surprise
win (we beat Russia in St. Petersburg and they had a lot of NHL
players in the roster). However, we struggle in games against
teams of same strength, generally when we have to make the
game and not just react. It will be very interesting to see how
our team is going to handle germany.

As to DiPietro being Canadian. OK, so without him it would have
ended 0:0, still a GREAT result for our team. And our 3 NHL
players are born and raised in Switzerland. Actually, DiPietro is
the only non-native swiss on the team. I think it's pretty unfair
to say that the swiss team lives off canadian players. Actually,
it's quite ridiculous.

Thank you to the many canadians who congratulated for the win.
That's what the olympics is all about. You'll get another chance
to shine soon and there will be a lot of swiss rooting for Canada.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
AvsGuy said:
Di Pietro never would have made the Canadian team. If he had, that would have been assasine, but completely understandable, as he's born in Canada.

If Ovechkin marries a Canadian girl, can he play for Team Canada? Pretty please? No. I didn't say it was illegal, but I will say that it is complete BS. Find your own players.

None of Russians have ever played for Canada or the US for that matter.

Since when are you concerned about DiPietro?

You probabky have never heard of him before.

It's not uncommon in sports by the way

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
AvsGuy said:
does anyone find it funny that neither the Swiss nor Italian teams have to abide by the same roster rules that everyone else does?

It would be funny to see if either team would win a game with THEIR OWN NATION'S players on their teams.

So should Dany Heatley play for Germany?

RandomCanuckFan

Jan 23, 2005
AvsGuy said:
Di Pietro never would have made the Canadian team. If he had, that would have been assasine, but completely understandable, as he's born in Canada.

If Ovechkin marries a Canadian girl, can he play for Team Canada? Pretty please? No. I didn't say it was illegal, but I will say that it is complete BS. Find your own players.

Except ...

1) Ovechkin has played in a tournament for Team Russia already, DiPietro hasn't played for in a tournament for Team Canada.

2) Ovechkin will make Team Russia pretty much every time until he retires. DiPietro would never make Team Canada.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Mystic said:
It was a great game from Team Switzerland.

1. Martin Gerber was just great!
2. Canada never knew how to cross over the Swiss defensive play; of course they had 49 shots, but a lot of them were taken from really bad angles; and if they were dangerous (Nash, Thornton, ...), Gerber was there.
3. They played like a team.

Why are some people thinking it was not a good game? Just because Canada lost? I love Canada, I love those players, I love high-level icehockey and of course it's normal that Canadian are better than Swiss players (if that wasn't true, NHL wouldn't be the best championship in the world); but on the ice it's fare more important to play as a team, in a good system.
Who can say that Streit wasn't great tonight? Montréal doesn't let him play as he knows...

Montreal doesn't let him play as he knows? Are you kidding me? The guy is ok on big ice, but can't manage the "in-your-face-all-the-time" small ice surface. He just can't. Bob Gainey used him way too much anyways. Should release him and let him go back playing in Europe. There are some players that just can't adapt to the small ice surface. Mark is one of them. Sorry, but Mark is not NHL caliber. Being a 7th defenceman on a poor defensive corps is not exactly what I would call NHL material.

Montreal thought that Mark would adapt way better than the 1st time he tried out for the NHL. But the results aren't there. I would just let him go and find another solution to remplace him. Heck, François Beauchemin would have been better.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
RandomCanuckFan said:
Except ...

1) Ovechkin has played in a tournament for Team Russia already, DiPietro hasn't played for in a tournament for Team Canada.

2) Ovechkin will make Team Russia pretty much every time until he retires. DiPietro would never make Team Canada.

Paul Dipietro couldn't even make a 4th line in the NHL. Paul is the type of player who will produce on big ice, but not much on the smaller ice surfaces. Just like Oleg Petrov did.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When an underdog team with hot goalie meets an All-Star team with a struggling coach this is the outcome to be expected .. :D

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
AvsGuy said:
does anyone find it funny that neither the Swiss nor Italian teams have to abide by the same roster rules that everyone else does?

It would be funny to see if either team would win a game with THEIR OWN NATION'S players on their teams.
you have got to be ****ing kidding me. If Team Canada can't beat Switzerland because Paul Dipietro is on the team then TC has much bigger problems than losing to Switzerland. Also, they do have to abide by the same roster rules as everyone else. He is a Swiss citizen, and has never played for Canada, so he can play for Switzerland. The same reason Dany Heatley can play for canada. He was born in Germany, but as a canadian citizen who has never played for Germany he is allowed to play for canada. Another thing, if Dipietro wasn't on the team, Switzerland would have still won, because somebody else would have tapped that second one in.

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
Fish on The Sand said:
you have got to be ****ing kidding me. If Team Canada can't beat Switzerland because Paul Dipietro is on the team then TC has much bigger problems than losing to Switzerland. Also, they do have to abide by the same roster rules as everyone else. He is a Swiss citizen, and has never played for Canada, so he can play for Switzerland. The same reason Dany Heatley can play for canada. He was born in Germany, but as a canadian citizen who has never played for Germany he is allowed to play for canada. Another thing, if Dipietro wasn't on the team, Switzerland would have still won, because somebody else would have tapped that second one in.

Wasn't Heatley given citizenship at birth? If his parents are Canadian and they were in Germany serving Canada, I belive he gets citizenship at birth.

We lost the game, we'll just have to bite the bullet. We outplayed them and ran into Gerber like a brick wall. As a Sens fan, I know what Gerber can do...

But what I'm not liking is smug Americans comparing this to the tie to Latvia. Latvia played rather on par with USA in that tie, while Canada destroyed Switzerland and got unlucky. USA deserved that die, we deserved a win. Call it sour grapes, but those are the facts

Last edited:

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Fish on The Sand said:

Well said....

I recall Mogilny and Bure being asked to play for team USA in their primes.

I bet that would have meant a difference, but not some long forgotten ex-Hab

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Fish on The Sand said:

He said does anyone find it funny. I find it funny. Canada getting beat by its own flesh and blood is funny. No need to get pissy.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
trippyime said:
He said does anyone find it funny. I find it funny. Canada getting beat by its own flesh and blood is funny. No need to get pissy.

It wasn't one guy who beat Canada!!!!
It was the team and the number one star was Mr Geber

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Peter_Schaefer said:
Wasn't Heatley given citizenship at birth? If his parents are Canadian and they were in Germany serving Canada, I belive he gets citizenship at birth.

We lost the game, we'll just have to bite the bullet. We outplayed them and ran into Gerber like a brick wall. As a Sens fan, I know what Gerber can do...

But what I'm not liking is smug Americans comparing this to the tie to Latvia. Latvia played rather on par with USA in that tie, while Canada destroyed Switzerland and got unlucky. USA deserved that die, we deserved a win. Call it sour grapes, but those are the facts
perhaps, but this isn't a powerhouse US team either. This is a team expected to finish 4th in its group, and not really considered a metal contender, where as Canada was hailed as one of the greatest teams ever filled wit hall of famers. The talent discrepency between Switzerland and Canada is FAR greater than US/Latvia.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
to the above posters: you've all got good points. I wasn't complaining that Paul DiPietro doesn't play for Team Canada. You're right, I've barely heard of him, and couldn't care less if he was on Team Switzerland, really. I just wish that since this is an international tournament, that teams could find their own players instead of moving them in from other countries. And for any offended Swiss people, I'm more referring to Team Italy than I am to Team Switzerland. Isn't there something like 9 Canadians on Team Italy? Thats freaking insane. Never once did I say that the Swiss team didn't deserve to win today, they most certainly played better than Canada.

And yes, if Dany Heatley is born in Germany, he should be on the German team. If it weren't for the previous international tournaments he had played for Canada, Team Germany should have every right to have Dany Heatley on their team.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Zorkan said:
I have read the whole thread and would like to make some
comments as a swiss.

I don't think any swiss would use the term "miracle on ice" for the
two victories, because it is clearly associated with USA 80. Those
two situations can't be compared at all and thus that term should
be avoided. HOWEVER, to us swiss, winning against the Czech and
especially winning against Canada indeed looks like miracle! We
have the utmost respect for those two hockey nations and it's
just totally incredible to beat them in their best lineups (their
choice = their fault, so please no discussion what selection
might have been better).

It is very unrealistic to think that the swiss team could play the
same game as Canada or the Czech Republic, we simply don't
have the players for that. We are likely to get outplayed by the
big hockey nations, but they have to beat us nevertheless! If you
don't have the tools you have to work harder. If you work harder
and win, it is moot to say that the opponent played better.

These games were HUGE for us! We don't care that they haven't
been in the medal round, nobody in their right mind would think
that Switzerland could get a medal in a tournament where all the
NHL players are playing! For crying out loud, we hardly ever beat
Team Canada or the Czech when they are not playing with their
NHL players! We were happy to qualify for the Olympics after the
sorry performance in Salt Lake City. Qualifying for the quarterfinals
was an ambitious goal that started to look more realistic once
Sturm and Hecht dropped out of the german team. Those wins
are huge for us. We don't care if they aren't important for the
Canadians. Any game in the Olympics should be important and
teams should show up to win for each game.

Since you probably don't know much about swiss, you should
know that the games against Germany and Italy will be quite
hard for us. We have always been able to pull off the odd surprise
win (we beat Russia in St. Petersburg and they had a lot of NHL
players in the roster). However, we struggle in games against
teams of same strength, generally when we have to make the
game and not just react. It will be very interesting to see how
our team is going to handle germany.

As to DiPietro being Canadian. OK, so without him it would have
ended 0:0, still a GREAT result for our team. And our 3 NHL
players are born and raised in Switzerland. Actually, DiPietro is
the only non-native swiss on the team. I think it's pretty unfair
to say that the swiss team lives off canadian players. Actually,
it's quite ridiculous.

Thank you to the many canadians who congratulated for the win.
That's what the olympics is all about. You'll get another chance
to shine soon and there will be a lot of swiss rooting for Canada.

Great post. The win today deserves congratulations :clap: .

P.S. I hate Gerber :D

Dobermann

Jan 2, 2006
Good post.

I would like to thank the wonderful Swiss people for Martin Gerber, and for the sweet-*** watch I got for Christmas.

:)

Randall Graves*

GagsIsDaMan said:
Wow...what's wrong with giving the Swiss credit for a victory they deserved.
Because it's all about Canada.

the swiss played a smart game, as soon as they got that 2nd goal they sat on the lead and just told Canada you won't beat us on a breakaway or an odd man rush. Major props to those guys, most of them aren't very big yet they weren't intimidated one bit.

Just goes to show what heart and goaltending can do.

Milvesof Brown

Sep 17, 2005
AvsGuy said:
And yes, if Dany Heatley is born in Germany, he should be on the German team. If it weren't for the previous international tournaments he had played for Canada, Team Germany should have every right to have Dany Heatley on their team.

Actually this is not an accurate reason. I myself was born in England but I cannot recieve English citizenship automatically. My parents must be of British background or have settled indeterminately in England. Therefore even though my birth certificate says England as a place of birth, I am not allowed a British Passport. I am not sure what the German guidelines are but by these standards, Canada is far more entitled to Dany Heatley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->