MIRACLE on ICE - Swiss Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
blurbruin said:
The swiss need to win games in order to get into the elimination round... so the victory isn't meaningless at all... It makes it a hell of a lot easier for our team to finish in the top 4 when you've already beaten Canada and the Czechs, and have Germany and Italy to play (not that they'll take those 2 teams lightly).

The poster probably should've said it was a meaningless loss for Canada, as they will make the medal round regardless. Most definitely it was meaningful to Switzerland.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
The_Eck said:
Don't you have to actually win the gold to call it a miracle like the USA did in salt lake city?? Relax, it was a great win by the suisse, but they have a long way to go if they want to win the gold.

In 1980, Soviet Union wasn't beaten in the finals by the Miracle Teasm, as you know.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Injektilo said:
dude, it's one game. Upsets happen, sure, but it's still only one game.

You're starting to sound like those Leafs fans who drive up and down Younge St. with a homemade stanley cup after a win over Columbus in November.

It's TWO victories now over the #1 gold favourite and the #2 gold favourite.

Looks good to me

PaulPosition

Mar 2, 2004
Everwinter Montreal
Well, well..

Just wanted to address the 'evil classless canadian fans' thing.. See, there's this great forum and the swiss just won and some people, excited by that unexpected victory come around to post...

:yo: Style... The :handclap: way .. Like, GRATZ SWITZERLAND!

Then tame the :biglaugh: , the :joker: and the :lol: .. Amazingly, those were the one posting about evil, unsportman canadian and riddling their messages with the even more stupid 'roll-eye' smiley.

Do a count. # of stupid canucks posts vs. number of stupid 'holier than you' posts and you might find out Canada might just be edged by (insert name of some planetary superpower) in the vain, classless department.

King of Kelvington

Aug 3, 2002
PaulPosition said:
Well, well..

Just wanted to address the 'evil classless canadian fans' thing.. See, there's this great forum and the swiss just won and some people, excited by that unexpected victory come around to post...

:yo: Style... The :handclap: way .. Like, GRATZ SWITZERLAND!

Then tame the :biglaugh: , the :joker: and the :lol: .. Amazingly, those were the one posting about evil, unsportman canadian and riddling their messages with the even more stupid 'roll-eye' smiley.

Do a count. # of stupid canucks posts vs. number of stupid 'holier than you' posts and you might find out Canada might just be edged by (insert name of some planetary superpower) in the vain, classless department.

:clap:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
WCJr said:
The anouncer on CBC was saying this too and i have to disagree, while the swiss beating canda and the cze was a couple of good games, doing it in the medal rounds is where it counts...this is really a meaningless victory...now if the swiss win an important game against a top tier team and win a medal, baby swisses will be straping blades to there boots and skating to school on monday.
your wrong.This is huge. With this win, it appears the worst that the swiss will finish is second. That could mean a date with the weak US team, or the very unpredictable Russian team. For Canada however, it is unlikely they win the group now, and will probably have to face the very surprising and high octane Slovakian squad(who is on a mission for the Salt Lake screw job btw), and the team that always seems to own canada in the olympics, Sweden.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Ovechkin_mvp said:
In 1980, Soviet Union wasn't beaten in the finals by the Miracle Teasm, as you know.
in 1980 there also wasn't any sort of playoffs either. Just a massive round robin and the best team took home gold.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Fish on The Sand said:
in 1980 there also wasn't any sort of playoffs either. Just a massive round robin and the best team took home gold.

True, the Miracle - was beating Sviet Union.

Some people here are downgrading the importance of this victory for the Swiss.

I beg to differ!

Canada will probably win 9 of 10 encounters vs the Swiss team, so did Soviet Union.
They have absolutely demolished the USA in the first game , 1980 and for years to come.

It's still a Miracle as far as I am concerned :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Is it just me or is it becoming less and less of a fluke when you beat Canada and the Czech Republic, the supposed #1 + #2 teams of the tournament.

Hats off to the Swiss.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
DanielBriere48 said:
Oh yeah the US didn't lose to Latvia,can't say the same about Canada and Switzerland :biglaugh:

I'd rather lose to Switzerland than tie Latvia.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
NYVanfan said:
eh, should be a good wakeup call for Canada.

Why are the Swiss going around giving wakeup calls to teams about to face Finland? Are they trying to pay back Finland for the slaughter in the openere? That's just mean.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
The Swiss played great and deserve all the credit for the win, hats off.

To the Canadian fans that are acting like a bunch of babies, grow up, you make us all look bad.

To the American posters who are gloating that Canada lost - grow up.

Basically, every country represented by posters in these forums seems to have a few idiots - lets try and not generalize everyone because of the actions of a few fools.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Captain_Cunney said:
The Swiss played great and deserve all the credit for the win, hats off.

To the Canadian fans that are acting like a bunch of babies, grow up, you make us all look bad.

To the American posters who are gloating that Canada lost - grow up.

Basically, every country represented by posters in these forums seems to have a few idiots - lets try and not generalize everyone because of the actions of a few fools.

:clap: :clap:

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
KingofCrunk said:
Losing is probably the best thing that could happen to Canada. It's a big eye-opener, and I expect them to take out all their frustration on Finland.

This win was huge for the Swiss, no one should be trying to take anything away from what they accomplished today.

I expect them to play better.....but I don't know if it will be that much better. They were average during the round robin portion at the last Olympics also.

As long as they progress game to game and hit their stride when the elimination games start, I'll be happy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Go

Captain_Cunney said:
I expect them to play better.....but I don't know if it will be that much better. They were average during the round robin portion at the last Olympics also.

As long as they progress game to game and hit their stride when the elimination games start, I'll be happy.
That's what I mean. I don't think they'll play great against the Czechs, but by the medal round they should be a well oiled machine.
________
uhwh warehouse

Last edited:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
WCJr said:
Does anyone find it funny that the swiss/italian teams are using canadian born players to beat team canada??? :biglaugh:

does anyone find it funny that neither the Swiss nor Italian teams have to abide by the same roster rules that everyone else does?

It would be funny to see if either team would win a game with THEIR OWN NATION'S players on their teams.

twelve

May 19, 2005
AvsGuy said:
does anyone find it funny that neither the Swiss not Italian teams have to abide by the same roster rules that everyone else does?

It would be funny to see if either team would win a game with THEIR OWN NATION'S players on their teams.

lol
What would you have said if Di Pietro had been nominated for the Canadian team?
Besides, he is Swiss through marriage and never played in an international tournament for Canada. There's nothing illegal about his playing in the Swiss team. :teach:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
twelve said:
lol
What would you have said if Di Pietro had been nominated for the Canadian team?
Besides, he is Swiss through marriage and never played in an international tournament for Canada. There's nothing illegal about his playing in the Swiss team. :teach:

Di Pietro never would have made the Canadian team. If he had, that would have been assasine, but completely understandable, as he's born in Canada.

If Ovechkin marries a Canadian girl, can he play for Team Canada? Pretty please? No. I didn't say it was illegal, but I will say that it is complete BS. Find your own players.

twelve

May 19, 2005
We did.

Anyway, you don't want him. So what's all the whining about? Get a life!

Mystic

Feb 24, 2005
It was a great game from Team Switzerland.

1. Martin Gerber was just great!
2. Canada never knew how to cross over the Swiss defensive play; of course they had 49 shots, but a lot of them were taken from really bad angles; and if they were dangerous (Nash, Thornton, ...), Gerber was there.
3. They played like a team.

Why are some people thinking it was not a good game? Just because Canada lost? I love Canada, I love those players, I love high-level icehockey and of course it's normal that Canadian are better than Swiss players (if that wasn't true, NHL wouldn't be the best championship in the world); but on the ice it's fare more important to play as a team, in a good system.
Who can say that Streit wasn't great tonight? Montréal doesn't let him play as he knows...

Mystic

Feb 24, 2005
AvsGuy said:
Di Pietro never would have made the Canadian team. If he had, that would have been assasine, but completely understandable, as he's born in Canada.

If Ovechkin marries a Canadian girl, can he play for Team Canada? Pretty please? No. I didn't say it was illegal, but I will say that it is complete BS. Find your own players.

That's just a frustrated post. Is Zidane French for you? Is Henry French? Is Wiltord French?
Ovechkin? No, because he's already played with Russia. The rules have been same for everybody for many many years. And just right now you're coming and saying they are ********. That's just mad. If Paul Di Pietro hadn't scored two goals, you would have shut up.

Sonic Death Monkey

I really love the Swiss team! Great chemestry in their group and they're fun to watch too, espesially Gerber who was amazing today against Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad