MIRACLE on ICE - Swiss Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
knight44 said:
Will the canadian fans ever grow up, they make like 6 million excuses why they lost today. Well the reason why they lost is becuse they under estimated the Swiss, the swiss were checking them every chance they got. Gerber was amazing, the swiss play well together as a team, their d dont even let rebounds. To say the win was a fluke just shows how the canadian fans dont respect any other countries players, its quite funny really. In the world juniors they boo'ed the american national anthem, and now i guess this is just the pay back from the "hockey gods" for the classless canadian fans. They should shut up and accept their loss and think about thier next game like thier players are!
I am not Canadian, but I think only a few were cocky. Majority congrats the Swiss. Altough I agree, the cocky ones were annoying.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
knight44 said:
Will the canadian fans ever grow up, they make like 6 million excuses why they lost today. Well the reason why they lost is becuse they under estimated the Swiss, the swiss were checking them every chance they got. Gerber was amazing, the swiss play well together as a team, their d dont even let rebounds. To say the win was a fluke just shows how the canadian fans dont respect any other countries players, its quite funny really. In the world juniors they boo'ed the american national anthem, and now i guess this is just the pay back from the "hockey gods" for the classless canadian fans. They should shut up and accept their loss and think about thier next game like thier players are!

Yep, I booed that anthem alright! From my couch thousands of miles away! How did you know?! I'm obviously classless!

Honestly, if you knew anything, you wouldn't start an argument like the one you just did.

You're impuning 30 million people because a few fans on a message board are upset about an embarassing loss. Grow up.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
trippyime said:
Yep, I booed that anthem alright! From my couch thousands of miles away! How did you know?! I'm obviously classless!

Honestly, if you knew anything, you wouldn't start an argument like the one you just did.

You're impuning 30 million people because a few fans on a message board are upset about an embarassing loss. Grow up.

I'm sure you said something of value, but I was distracted by your avatar. :propeller

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
sabresrat said:
I'm sure you said something of value, but I was distracted by your avatar. :propeller

Atta boy. It only took a couple minutes. I was thinking at least a day before people stopped reading what I post... ;)

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
DrMoses said:
The fact is, no matter how you slice it, the Swiss are at best the 7th or 8th best team in this tournament. Their chances of medaling are slim.
the fact is, no matter how u slice it, the canadians got shut out by the at best 7th or 8th best team in the tournament. :biglaugh:

they didn't really crush italy or germany, either.

omg, so much whining from canadians. most canadians here are not acting so childish.

"oh the game is meaningless, blah, blah, blah." then i wonder why so many canadians are so upset??
"canada completely dominated blah, blah, blah." and yet they were shut out. gerber didn't steal the game. suisse outworked the canadians the whole time.

the game was meaningful to millions of fans. why do some ppl have to piss all over it??? :shakehead

suisse just beat the 2 best teams on earth. canada, on the other hand, couldn't even beat the 7th or 8th best team. :biglaugh:

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
knight44 said:
I'm sorry. I didn't plan to post here except to congratulate the Swiss, but this -- like much of the gloating on this thread -- is ridiculous. Most Canadians have been pretty gracious about this game, more upset at their own team than wanting to dismiss the Swiss. By the way, no one booed the American anthem at the WJC. They booed one dirty, sore-loser American player.
I have nothing against Switzerland. Those little clocks with the birds that pop out are neat. But the scissors on those knives are way too small to be useful. That's about the only thing I have against the Swiss.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Great job by the Swiss!!! :) :yo:

This will be great for the hockey program in Switzerland. :yo:

Good luck Switzlerland!!!! :)

P.S. Gerber rocks. Still kind of sad the Ducks traded him. :cry:

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Agasthya said:
Oh, I'm fine with it because we played a pretty solid game and generated the chances but Gerber was just outstanding. But I don't think it makes sense to say that the Suisse played a great game though.

It depends upon how you define a great game.

Offensively, we outplayed them in terms of shots on goal, but unfortunately for us, that didn't translate into goals and that's where it counts. Re-look the game. Seems to me that while the stats show 49 shots, many were from the outside. That helps Gerber (not to take anything away from him ... he still stopped all 49 shots his way). So defensively, the Swiss Team did its job and reasonably well. They probably new they couldn't skate with us, but what they did do well was reduce the effectivenss of our shooters. Maybe it's not a great game as games go, but that assessment is rather moot ... in the W-L column, it's still a W for the Swiss and a L of the Canadians.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
amazing! Canada has a great team, and I think they will still make a serious run for gold, but the Swiss nation and hockey organization can take a lot of pride in the fact that their team just came into the Olympics and beat the 2 top teams. WOW. If I wasn't a Canadian fan, I'd say it was nice to see, but I'm kinda ticked. oh well.

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
knight44 said:

As much as some responses by Canadian fans to this loss could be classified as "in poor taste", the above post deserves no better consideration. Focus upon merits of the game, not the fans ... after all, that's what this thread was all about.

And as for the game, as sport shows so often, in a balanced competition, on any given day, any team can beat another team. You may be right about the under-estimation of the Swiss by Quinn & Co. Then again, Canada may have been beat by a better team ... today. Regardless, full credit goes to the Swiss for todays victory! Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how you look at the Olympic tourney), so much comes down to a single game unlike an NHL playoff which relies on consistency as a demonstration of who is the better team. But rather than get into that debate, the Swiss did the job Canada could not do and cheers for them.

Now, as I am Canadian hockey fan, does my acknowledgment of the Swiss Team's valiant victory require you to change you qualification of Canadian hockey fans in general, as you seem to rely on the comments of a few to draw your conclusion above.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
WCJr said:
Does anyone find it funny that the swiss/italian teams are using canadian born players to beat team canada??? :biglaugh:
it's funny that a team of all-stars got shut out by a by a team of 3rd/4th liners.

and that some ppl want to do anything to avoid facing that fact.

:biglaugh:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
nik jr said:
it's funny that a team of all-stars got shut out by a by a team of 3rd/4th liners.

For my part i wont avoid it, Canada just underestimated the Swiss and they didnt play with an edge and thats the only way Canada can be succesful. When Canada tries to "cruise" their way to victory it usually leads to bad games. They were trying to deke 4 Swiss waiting at the blue line. :shakehead

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
The Swiss were the better team today and were very deserving of the victory.
If they end up meeting again, say in the semi-finals, I wouldn't bet the farm on lightning striking twice, however.

TVanek26*

AG said:
LATVIA :handclap:

This game does'nt even matter so I dont really care. Canada will most likely make the medal rounds. It was all Gerber anyways.

ahahahah tell it to someone who cares about the US or the olympic.I really don't care what happens at the olympics,just as long as Canada doesn't win :handclap:

Oh yeah the US didn't lose to Latvia,can't say the same about Canada and Switzerland :biglaugh:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
again people, it was one effing game. upsets happen, just like they did today. Canada isn't gonna beat every single team every single time, they will lose sometimes.

Again, just one game. you can't make too many assumptions based on a single game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin_mvp said:
This was clearly the biggest upset since the infamous Belarus - Sweden game. :yo:

I have watched the game, and you gotta give it to the Swiss team.
They are a TEAM, not a bunch of superstars hanging out in Italy.

A way to go guys!!!!!1 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

P.S: I hope Russia doesn't meet them in quarter-finals

The Belarus game was still bigger. Belarus weren't even supposed to made it out of prelims, and they were losing the game 3-1

blurbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Somerville, MA
Visit site
WCJr said:
The anouncer on CBC was saying this too and i have to disagree, while the swiss beating canda and the cze was a couple of good games, doing it in the medal rounds is where it counts...this is really a meaningless victory...now if the swiss win an important game against a top tier team and win a medal, baby swisses will be straping blades to there boots and skating to school on monday.

The swiss need to win games in order to get into the elimination round... so the victory isn't meaningless at all... It makes it a hell of a lot easier for our team to finish in the top 4 when you've already beaten Canada and the Czechs, and have Germany and Italy to play (not that they'll take those 2 teams lightly).

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
jcpenny said:
For my part i wont avoid it, Canada just underestimated the Swiss and they didnt play with an edge and thats the only way Canada can be succesful. When Canada tries to "cruise" their way to victory it usually leads to bad games. They were trying to deke 4 Swiss waiting at the blue line. :shakehead

one of Pat Quinns favorite things to say is that the first round is just exhibition games, and it's showed, why else does Draper play with iginla and sakic?? It's embarassing losing to Switzerland, but realistically it doesn't matter, it is more important to beat the other good teams, and Canada will have more success against them because the other good teams will actually try and win the game rather than trying to not lose it. Canada is better suited in a game that goes end to end.

KariyaIsGod*

nik jr said:

Nobody isn't facing the fact. They're just making it very clear to Euro homers like you that they aren't finished...

Why don't you pull out that Belarus tape and stop gloating like you had anything to do with anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->