miracle on ice ratings

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
does anyone know what the miracle on ice ratings weree?

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/news2002/feb02/feb25/2_tues/news5tuesday.html

Ganis and other analysts recall the aftereffects of the U.S. team's shocking run to the gold medal at the '80 Games. The semifinal that year against the Soviet Union--which has been dubbed the "Miracle on Ice"--drew a 23.9 rating, and the final against Finland came in just behind, at 23.2. "The Soviet Union-U.S. game in 1980, which was not only arguably the greatest Olympic moment on TV, but also possibly the greatest sports TV moment, and even arguably the greatest moment in entertainment history, didn't grant hockey a whole new place in the American psyche," says Robert Thompson, director of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I was 15 then and it was all anyone talked about.
The Russian game was not the gold medal game and the team played another game after that one that was the focus point. It may have had worse hours though so the ratings may have been worse.

Voice of Reason

Jul 6, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
I was 15 then and it was all anyone talked about.
The Russian game was not the gold medal game and the team played another game after that one that was the focus point. It may have had worse hours though so the ratings may have been worse.

I was also 15 and IIRC, the Finnish game was on at 10 or 11am EDT on a Sunday. Not exactly prime time. To pull in a 23 rating that time of day is awesome.

Game_Misconduct

Oct 13, 2004
The USSR game wasn't even shown live. The game was played late Friday afternoon and shown tape-delay in prime time.

aerialis

Oct 7, 2005
toronto & pittsburgh
I remember reading an article around the time the movie came out that said Gary Suter spent the time watching a movie instead of the game, figuring the States would lose anyway, and only found out after the movie got out that they'd won

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here is an article printed the day after the game against the Soviets. It also explains why the game against Finland wasn't a "Gold Medal Game."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/olympics1998/history/memories/80-hock.htm

A victory against Finland by the United States Sunday would clinch the gold for the Americans regardless of the outcome of the Soviet Union-Sweden game. If the U.S. and Finland tie, a tie in the other, later game would give the gold to the U.S., as would a victory by the Soviets. A win by Sweden in that game, however, would give the gold to that country on the basis of goal differential. Sweden and the U.S. tied in their head-to-head encounter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->