Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Checked a replay of yesterday’s game against Hersey, some thoughts

Ryan Lindgren made a good first impression and looks like he belongs from the get to. He is a low center of gravity skater. Has those three trunk legs that lets him explode laterally and close you off in no time and destroy you if you don’t keep your head up. Looked like he would land a real Kronwall hit at one time but the forward got the head up in the last sec.

He was calm and collected with the puck, made a few solid plays with it. He isn’t an offensive player but obviously a kid today knows that you can’t be Rich Pilot II.

Despite being an impressive skater — gap control doesn’t scream elite. It can get there — but it’s a kid who played his first pro game. It showed. He did look comfortable playing a man-man defense though — must have played for a college team playing man-man right?

I thought of a fitting comparison in terms of style — Vladmir Denison — not sure if anyone remembers him though!? ;) Seriously though, that lateral movement and ability to close people off and just destroy them is pretty rare in the game today. Overall he I would say that he got a bit to go to get to he NHL. You know that any guy who isn’t an expert puck mover will be scrutinized for how they move the puck. Lindgren will be no exception. For a stay at home D — his reach doesn’t stand out. He is like 6’0.

Don’t think he will be a candidate to challenge for a spot in camp next season. A lot can happen in a short time with a rookie and after a summer at this point, but I would bet on that he needs a year at least in the AHL. If he really really puts everything together he can become a very very solid D, Orpik type. It’s not like a player like this don’t have any potential.

Filip Chytil played fairly well. Centered the top line with Lettieri and Schneider. It’s a solid line. But I think it’s obvious that this is a kid who turned pro this year at 17 y/o and that he is starting to run out of gas a bit. But he still gets involved offensively and makes good plays. Just isn’t really a friend with the puck. Fighting it a little bit.

It’s hard to tell where Chytil will/should be next year. If he looks like this — he should definitely be in the AHL. Don’t get me wrong, he doesn’t look bad at all, but it’s better to get to a level where he dominates in the AHL instead of a smaller role in the NHL.

But kids his age usually improves a ton every off season. If I was betting on it, I think he will fly at camp and win a spot and never look back. JMHO. He will need to have a great summer, but I just think he will be too good.

Vinnie Lettieri was — really — flying. There are kids that wants it then there are kids that really really really wants it lol. VL is the later. He has added another gear to his skating. He moves the puck quick, pursuits the puck really hard and fires at everything within range. Quick and hard slapper, always. I likes how fast he moves the puck and how he tries to play a really fast game, but one thing he needs to improve is how he moves the puck. He gets into a bit too many situations where he likes comes out of a corner and gets a puck and dumps it back on the circle — when nobody is there. But it’s no biggie, should come with time. The right thoughts are there most of the time but not execution and not all the time.

I still think that his overall thought process and understanding of the game is what is lacking a little bit — if he can get that in place I don’t see why he can’t become a solid 2-3 line player in the NHL. It’s the downside when you get a kid that hasn’t come through the US Nat program or have a natural inclanation to play a little bit more thoughtful style, and haven’t played in any national team games etc. The AHL isn’t the best place to work on it either. But like — if he gets that in place — he will get up towards JT Miller territory in the NHL in a hurry. It’s no given, but you gotta love that kid.

I thought Lias Andersson played well too. Lias played LW with Tambs at center and, hm, what’s his name again? An Italian. A lot of Ds. ;) Anyway Lias was used as HFDs top FO man. Did a great job in the circle. He was strong on the puck and definitely fairs well going shoulder to shoulder with strong AHL Ds. He wins a lot of battles and moves the puck really well. Must get a full summer and get his skates moving a bit faster, give him more of a jump, he is great with the puck, so skilled, but must be able to put himself with it on his stick more with space.

I think he is playing in the NHL next year, but a little more time in the AHL won’t hurt him either. Think it will come down to if there is a good spot for him up in NY or not.

You can’t watch everyone when there are so many newer names and a team I don’t follow that regularly — I didn’t plan to follow Brandon Crawly that closely but he stands out a little bit too much to not mention him. The kid is doing a good job. It’s like the bread and butter plays he executes with surprising ease. Can’t forget about him.

Boo Nievis is back to form after that concussion last season, looked a bit slower earlier this year and like he wasn’t 110% comfortable. But even despite flying like he is — will he make it? I used to say that he should make it as a 4th line C. I am not sure, there is a little little thought behind how he plays. He isn’t really excelling. Not offensively, that’s not what it’s about, playing defense, getting out of his own end etc.

Bigras is a good hockey player. A future NHLer? Hunwick role maybe.

Lastly Gabe Fontaine is hustling well for a 20 y/o in the AHL. Despite not taking on a bigger role or getting on the board a ton he is still showing a lot of quality in more of a Yannick Hansen role if you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
BTW saw that Lias crunched over after getting to the bench late in the 3rd, looked to be in pain. I see that he isn’t playing tonight, really hopes it’s nothing that will carry into the summer.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It was an ugly goal but a promising one. We have guys that will go to the net but just kind of stand there and not really battle. Lindgren battled for that goal. I like the tenacity and hunger. He pinched, and he knew that because of that he needed to have an impact on the play down there or else he was out of position. He won that puck from, what, three guys? It was great.

Not that I'm pining for the Tortorella days, but back then we scored a lot of ugly goals. If we could sprinkle some of those pure effort goals in with some of the skill goals from the AV-era it would provide some nice balance and make us a lot more difficult to defend. Now it's like, oh you can defend the rush? Well, then you've effectively neutralized the Rangers.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You see I think Lias is a left winger that can take big face offs for you but is still a left winger. I don’t think he skates well enough to be a center. Unless that changes dramatically I don’t see him in the middle and that’s ok. We’ve got talent in Zibanejad Chytil Hayes Howden. Someone has to move over to the wing. I think he’s best suited to be the one to do so.

Reactions: Ola

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Big three games this week. According to the latest "Playoff Primer" released today, the Wolf Pack have a magic number of 30, with the two teams behind them in the division already eliminated.

Games against Springfield (eliminated), WBS (3rd in division w/ magic number of 9), and Bridgeport (4 pts ahead of WP with 2 games in hand and a magic number of 26).

Could be eliminated this week. Top four teams from each division make the playoffs. Wolf Pack are at 68. Fourth place is 81 right now (Charlotte)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lettieri scores his 21st goal. Puts WP up 1-0. 5 point streak for the man.

21 goals as a rookie is pretty damn impressive.
The only player above him in goals scored that has played fewer games is Dylan Strome (22 in 47).
Lettieri has 21 in 48 now.

upload_2018-3-29_1-23-43.png

Reactions: ecemleafs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You see I think Lias is a left winger that can take big face offs for you but is still a left winger. I don’t think he skates well enough to be a center. Unless that changes dramatically I don’t see him in the middle and that’s ok. We’ve got talent in Zibanejad Chytil Hayes Howden. Someone has to move over to the wing. I think he’s best suited to be the one to do so.

I've said it before, and I know some people don't want to hear it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if both guys potentially ended up on the wings. Not saying that's where I'd project them, but it wouldn't be a concept that would drop my jaw either.

Reactions: Rongomania

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

That was a nice shot too.

I have no idea why Lettieri isn't up playing in McLeod's place. 33 points in 48 games in his rookie campaign in the AHL is pretty darn good – and he's more than passed the eye test in training camp and his limited earlier callups. After Pionk, he's been the current minor leaguer (excluding Lindgren on his ATO) I'm most excited to see play.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregSirico

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have no idea why Lettieri isn't up playing in McLeod's place. 33 points in 48 games in his rookie campaign in the AHL is pretty darn good – and he's more than passed the eye test in training camp and his limited earlier callups. After Pionk, he's the current minor leaguer (excluding Lindgren on his ATO) I'm most excited to see play.

Yeah, his tenacity on the puck and willingness to shoot is a good combination. He'll be a full-time NHL very soon. I think heeds to work on his speed and quickness this off-season and he's there.

Reactions: GregSirico

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
21 goals as a rookie is pretty damn impressive.
The only player above him in goals scored that has played fewer games is Dylan Strome (22 in 47).
Lettieri has 21 in 48 now.

View attachment 108383

I’ve liked Lettieri all year, but despite that he was much improved in the game I saw last week compared to earlier in the season. The kid was flying.

Sure Lettieri is 23 y/o and JT Miller played in the AHL only until he was 21 y/o. JT scored 56 pts in the NHL when he was 23.

But if Lettieri keeps this up I wouldn’t rule out that he can become a JT Miller type of player in the NHL.

Fast is a lot better than Vinnie Lettieri in some areas, he is a lot better than most in those areas, but from a pure AHL POV Vinnie Lettieri now is better than Fast was at the exact same age in the AHL.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I've said it before, and I know some people don't want to hear it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if both guys potentially ended up on the wings. Not saying that's where I'd project them, but it wouldn't be a concept that would drop my jaw either.

Absolutely. Between whomever we draft this year, or trade for.. plus Howden & Zibanejad, I think we’ll survive with these two on the wings of you guys really think that’s where they’ll end up.

Though I wouldn’t rule out Lias becoming a better skater. It’s been stated time and time again - the things you cannot teach a player, Lias Excels at. Remember Brian Boyle barely being an NHL level skater? I think between Lias’ pure drive combined with his serious talents, he will become a center in this league and become a better skater. Also, he is certainly not a terrible skater. He’s 19, let’s see how he progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad