Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hartford and Rochester tied now 3-3 in the 2nd. Bigras, Lettieri and Nieves.

And Kotyk puts the Wolfpack ahead 4-3. Two periods done.

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Big boy that can skate. But then also got hands, shot, vision and awareness. Now that’s a scary proposition.
He truly reminds me of Malkin.

And the scary thing is that thus far their development has been near identical - they have played in comparable leagues competition wise, and produced similarily.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He truly reminds me of Malkin.

And the scary thing is that thus far their development has been near identical - they have played in comparable leagues competition wise, and produced similarily.
Dammit, I see the same thing. But, you know the moment you bring it up , people look at you sideways, and claim Ranger fans overrate their prospects.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Dammit, I see the same thing. But, you know the moment you bring it up , people look at you sideways, and claim Ranger fans overrate their prospects.

People need to realize that comparisons based on style are not the same as comparisons based on potential.

I got flamed for comparing Lias to Bergeron because I feel they play a similar style. It doesn't mean I expect Lias to have the same career as Bergeron. It would be truly amazing if he does of course, but it's similar to Bozle's comparison of Chytil and Malkin. They do have eerily similar styles.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
People need to realize that comparisons based on style are not the same as comparisons based on potential.

I got flamed for comparing Lias to Bergeron because I feel they play a similar style. It doesn't mean I expect Lias to have the same career as Bergeron. It would be truly amazing if he does of course, but it's similar to Bozle's comparison of Chytil and Malkin. They do have eerily similar styles.

Exactly. Nor does style equal production.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyway the Pack wins 6-4. The Nieves goal was changed to Labrie. Catenacci got the 5th goal which became the game winner and then Lettieri scored his 19th goal and second of the game into an empty net.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Malkin is 13th all time in NHL history in PPG average among players who've played 500 games. He might be a top 10 forward in the history of the sport.

If he's comparable to Malkin at the end of his career, its a poor man's Malkin, and even that would probably be a great career. I understand the comparison due to size, skating, lankiness, but I think Malkin has another few gears of skill.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Malkin is 13th all time in NHL history in PPG average among players who've played 500 games. He might be a top 10 forward in the history of the sport.

If he's comparable to Malkin at the end of his career, its a poor man's Malkin, and even that would probably be a great career. I understand the comparison due to size, skating, lankiness, but I think Malkin has another few gears of skill.

Did you miss posts from @jas and @Amazing Kreiderman just 3-4 above yours?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did you miss posts from @jas and @Amazing Kreiderman just 3-4 above yours?

Kind of. I saw they were there, but didn't read them.

I've changed my opinion on this issue recently. A few years ago I might've been right there comparing him to Malkin due to those few attributes that I agree he has in common with Malkin, but I just don't feel like it helps to compare prospects to the legends of the sport and then say "but he'll be worse." There obviously is a big reason why they won't be as good as that legend, and its usually something very important stylistically. What if Kreider was a great playmaker? Would he be Mario Lemieux? What if Gilmour could defend? Would he be Erik Karlsson? Its leaving out such a big part of the game to compare these guys to legends.

Chytil will likely be a first liner, but Malkin is a first ballot hall of famer. I'm not sure its fair to either of them to make that comparison. Thats nothing against anyone here, but this kind of thing is something I feel strongly about that we should stop comparing good players to legends with obvious qualifications of why they won't be as good. If you don't need qualifications, I think its appropriate, but otherwise, I don't think it is.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kind of. I saw they were there, but didn't read them.

I've changed my opinion on this issue recently. A few years ago I might've been right there comparing him to Malkin due to those few attributes that I agree he has in common with Malkin, but I just don't feel like it helps to compare prospects to the legends of the sport and then say "but he'll be worse." There obviously is a big reason why they won't be as good as that legend, and its usually something very important stylistically. What if Kreider was a great playmaker? Would he be Mario Lemieux? What if Gilmour could defend? Would he be Erik Karlsson? Its leaving out such a big part of the game to compare these guys to legends.
f***ing sticky the bolded. Please.

Every. Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad