Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just a note on play-by-play. This isn't a criticism of Beacon, whom I have had my differences with over the years but still appreciate and respect. But--even those play-by-plays are subjective. Look no further than a GDT or PGT to see this. There's a play that happens and five different opinions on why. One person thinks it's just a softie, someone else thinks the D should have left his man and gone to the front of the net, or another the C lost his man getting back, etc. Lots of different ways to analyze a play. Even something seemingly objective is often subjective. Half of the PGT is usually debating this kind of stuff.

Hell, half of the time the guys on TV give you the breakdown and I disagree with it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I like Zboro’s defensive game a lot, but it’s all moot if he doesn’t improve his skating. Straight line speed is there, but it’s his lateral agility that’s rough. I didn’t hate his puck movement, even though I know there were some scouting reports that said it was subpar.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
I hate to break it to all Zboro lovers here... he is just not that good to be a regular in the AHL at this stage. And in case you are wondering, I am watching many Pack games and keep an eye on certain people.

Unless he does a 180 like John Gilmour - who last season I was vouching for to get a 9-5 job and today he is playing in the NHL - things are not gonna look too good for Zboro.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Minor transactions: Halverson and Leedahl sent back to Greenville, Shawn O'Donnell released from his PTO with Hartford.

Wild ride for Halverson, playing in the ECHL, AHL and NHL all in the same year.

Reactions: Osminator

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I hate to break it to all Zboro lovers here... he is just not that good to be a regular in the AHL at this stage. And in case you are wondering, I am watching many Pack games and keep an eye on certain people.

Unless he does a 180 like John Gilmour - who last season I was vouching for to get a 9-5 job and today he is playing in the NHL - things are not gonna look too good for Zboro.
That's the thing with prospects, everyone develops (or doesnt) at different paces. Zboro could improve leaps and bounds next season. However, when the prospect in question needs to improve skating first and foremost, that's a major red flag for me.

Reactions: Osminator

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We haven't had anyone in Greenville recently so I haven't paid them any attention. Apparently they're 0-10-3 in their last 13. Yikes. They still play horrendous defense (3.98 GA/G), they just stopped scoring. What an awful bunch.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We haven't had anyone in Greenville recently so I haven't paid them any attention. Apparently they're 0-10-3 in their last 13. Yikes. They still play horrendous defense (3.98 GA/G), they just stopped scoring. What an awful bunch.

Trickled down effect of a first year of rebuild?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Trickled down effect of a first year of rebuild?
I think it's mainly that they started off really hot and had some great chemistry, then Hartford called up a few guys, some other were sent packing, and it all fell apart. Like Caleb Herbert was one of their stars, he gets called up for a bit then signs an AHL deal with San Jose. Allan McPherson was huge for them but then left to play in Switzerland. Adam Chapie had 17 points in 11 games before being called up and later traded. Leedahl has 20 points in 20 games but has spent more than half the season thus far with Hartford. Zborovskiy's offense completely disappeared after 20 or so games but he was still a decent player for them. Branden Troock was traded for futures when it started going downhill. Four of their "guys" from when they were scoring in bunches are gone from the organization, that's tough for any team to handle. Plus as I said those other guys spending time in Hartford.

Look at what it's done to their goaltending. Their top two goalies have been Ty Rimmer and Halverson, who respectively have GAA's of 3.89 and 3.87 and SV%'s of .901 and .900. They're giving up four goal per game but stopping 90% of the shots. What does that tell you? Though maybe with a stud ECHL goalie they'd be faring a little better, who knows.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think it's mainly that they started off really hot and had some great chemistry, then Hartford called up a few guys, some other were sent packing, and it all fell apart. Like Caleb Herbert was one of their stars, he gets called up for a bit then signs an AHL deal with San Jose. Allan McPherson was huge for them but then left to play in Switzerland. Adam Chapie had 17 points in 11 games before being called up and later traded. Leedahl has 20 points in 20 games but has spent more than half the season thus far with Hartford. Zborovskiy's offense completely disappeared after 20 or so games but he was still a decent player for them. Branden Troock was traded for futures when it started going downhill. Four of their "guys" from when they were scoring in bunches are gone from the organization, that's tough for any team to handle. Plus as I said those other guys spending time in Hartford.

Look at what it's done to their goaltending. Their top two goalies have been Ty Rimmer and Halverson, who respectively have GAA's of 3.89 and 3.87 and SV%'s of .901 and .900. They're giving up four goal per game but stopping 90% of the shots. What does that tell you? Though maybe with a stud ECHL goalie they'd be faring a little better, who knows.

Stopping 90% of shots but having a 4GAA means they are facing, on average, 40 shots a game. That's insane. Stud goalie or not if your facing 40 plus shots a night game after game your team isn't winning many games.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Off-Broadway preview: Top picks Andersson and Chytil hone...

Pretty decent article by Carp in the Athletic today on Chytil/Andersson.
Thanks for the heads up. This finally got me to plunk my dough down and give The Athletic a try. Enjoyed the article.

Always liked Carp. Folks may not agree with his analysis, but he's the last (non-Brooks) NYR beat writer to actually put in a real effort, dig for stories, come up with interesting angles, and engage with fans. Glad he's found a home covering the team again.

Reactions: Off Sides

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. This finally got me to plunk my dough down and give The Athletic a try. Enjoyed the article.

Always liked Carp. Folks may not agree with his analysis, but he's the last (non-Brooks) NYR beat writer to actually put in a real effort, dig for stories, come up with interesting angles, and engage with fans. Glad he's found a home covering the team again.

He's also definitely gotten better from where he used to be, imo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just checked his EP page and it doesn't look like he did.
I think the Checkers might have still been our ECHL affiliate that year he played for them, but they've moved around and I could be wrong. I may just be remembering him from something else.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think the Checkers might have still been our ECHL affiliate that year he played for them, but they've moved around and I could be wrong. I may just be remembering him from something else.
No, you're right. I did a bit more digging. Apparently we sold the Checkers in 2010.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Off-Broadway preview: Top picks Andersson and Chytil hone...

Pretty decent article by Carp in the Athletic today on Chytil/Andersson.
I've only read the first little bit, but this line made me chuckle.

"Gorton had begun his rebuild with the trade of center Derek Stepan and goalie Antti Raanta to Arizona for, among other things, the Coyotes’ first-round pick, No. 7 overall."

I'm not DeAngelo's biggest fan, but he deserves more respect than that!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I've only read the first little bit, but this line made me chuckle.

"Gorton had begun his rebuild with the trade of center Derek Stepan and goalie Antti Raanta to Arizona for, among other things, the Coyotes’ first-round pick, No. 7 overall."

I'm not DeAngelo's biggest fan, but he deserves more respect than that!

“Among other things”. Instead of ADA we should refer to him as AOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->