Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Greenville’s Mackenzie Skapski has been suspended for one game and fined an undisclosed amount as a result of his actions in ECHL Playoff Game #D-4, Greenville at South Carolina, on April 18.

Skapski is fined and suspended as a result of an unpenalized game misconduct under Rule #53.4 at 18:02 of the third period.

Skapski will miss Greenville’s playoff game against South Carolina on April 21.

Who knows what happened???? :-O

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Thanks to cwede and you for clarifying.

As I look at the CBA it seems that if Jensen left for Russia and the Rangers made him a qualifying offer he would be on the Rangers 90 man Reserve List but not on the 50 limit on player contracts since Jensen's contract would have expired. See definition of Reserve List from the CBA:

"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:
(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.
Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as determined by the Commissioner.
(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.

An SPC is a Standard Player Contract.

Interesting point about Sean Day. If he plays for Hartford next year it looks like his contract counts against the 50 contract limit since he would not have been returned to Juniors (the only listed exception for not counting a signed contract) but if he is returned to Juniors his contract does not count. This issue probably has not come up before because 19 year olds cannot play Junior except for the extra junior year Day played by being granted exceptional status.

If we qualify a player we retain his rights. However unless the player signs the QO, he can go sign in Russia as they don't consider an unsigned QO a valid contract.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Gerry Conlon from Howlings.com is reporting that Jensen has signed to play in the KHL.

http://www.howlings.net/2017/04/20/cantlon-wolf-packs-jensen-heads-to-khl/

Thanks to cwede and you for clarifying.

As I look at the CBA it seems that if Jensen left for Russia and the Rangers made him a qualifying offer he would be on the Rangers 90 man Reserve List but not on the 50 limit on player contracts since Jensen's contract would have expired. See definition of Reserve List from the CBA:

"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:
(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.
Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as determined by the Commissioner.
(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.

An SPC is a Standard Player Contract.

Interesting point about Sean Day. If he plays for Hartford next year it looks like his contract counts against the 50 contract limit since he would not have been returned to Juniors (the only listed exception for not counting a signed contract) but if he is returned to Juniors his contract does not count. This issue probably has not come up before because 19 year olds cannot play Junior except for the extra junior year Day played by being granted exceptional status.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Conlon is very knowledgeable about Hartford and the AHL so I assumed he had some inside information. But when you check the link in his story it does not say that Jensen has signed with the team, just that his rights have been traded to the team. This is exactly what Joey Bones found on the team home page.

I think Joey Bones said it best, this is a "developing story."

Just checked the Jokerit home page and there is no news on the signing. Only that his rights were traded with Erixon's to Jokerit yesterday.

But it could be a developing story.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Conlon is very knowledgeable about Hartford and the AHL so I assumed he had some inside information

Conlon is hard working, tracks all kinds of CT, HWP and AHL related news;
but he also seems always to have gaps in what he knows or chooses to report on
(not a dig, he is fine resource)

i woulda thought that IF Erixon and Jensen had already signed with Ufa, as Conlon writes, it would been public knowledge

til confrmed, my view (just my slightly experinced guess) is
Ufa wanted Larsen and swapped a couple of their reserved rights to Jokerit for Larsen's

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Rabbits lose game 5 with a disgusting beer league effort 3-2. They couldn't hit the side of the great wall of China and went 0 for 8 or 9 on the PP. With this type of effort, maybe its better the Stingrays advance... it is obvious they want it more in all 3 zones and battles. After taking a 2-0 series lead the entire team mailed it in.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I would be surprisef to see either Skapski or Malcolm back in anything but a backup role on an AHL deal.

not me, i won't be surprised if the QO Skapski
what's the hurry to dump him, Shesty, Huska, Wall are years away

NYR QO'd Tommy Hughes, who by last summer was already an extreme long shot for the NHL

Last edited:

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
not me, i won't be surprised if the QO Skapski
what's the hurry to dump him, Shesty, Huska, Wall are years away

NYR QO'd Tommy Hughes, who by last summer was already an extreme long shot for the NHL

On that HFD defense, he looks like an All-Star.

Maybe they will QO Skapski, but unless injury strikes, he is firmly in the ECHL. Heck, he is even the backup in Greenville... begs the question if you really want QO and use a contract spot for your ECHL affiliate's backup. FA market will surely have good goalies available.

I could see late season HFD ATO goalie going for a run for a roster spot at the ECHL level. Skapski needs a change of scenery.

zg628

Jun 15, 2015
Kypreos reported for Sportsnet that Buffalo has interest in Jim Schoenfeld for their GM vacancy. He and Gernander have really gotten a free pass over how awful HWP has become.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Well... Swamp Rabbits wet the bed too.. got shut out 4-0 in game 6 and the Stingrays won the series 4-2. After going up 2 games to 0, they lost 4 straight. WTF?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I was thinking about this last night, does anyone know if Day played the right side at all in the OHL?

It would be nice if they could develop him to work both sides, if he pans out, having him be able to play the right would be amazing

Kypreos reported for Sportsnet that Buffalo has interest in Jim Schoenfeld for their GM vacancy. He and Gernander have really gotten a free pass over how awful HWP has become.

They can take both of them

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I was thinking about this last night, does anyone know if Day played the right side at all in the OHL?

It would be nice if they could develop him to work both sides, if he pans out, having him be able to play the right would be amazing

He definitely did get some games in on the right side earlier in the season, but he played the left side to finish off the season and playoffs.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

They can take both of them

I'd be cool with that. Get the old guard out of here.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Many thanks to Silverfish for finding the link to AHL WAR stats.

John Gilmour had the fourth worst WAR in the entire league at -1.7. Philips McRae was eighth worst at -1.5. Carenacci was ninth worst (includes the entire year before traded to Hartford) at -1.5 although he had a positive WAR ranking with Hartford. Kovacs was 16th worst at -1.2. Others in the negative area were Adam Tambellini at -0.7, Tommie Hughes and Steven Kampfer at -0.5, Malte Stromwell at 0.35, Adam Chapie at -0.28 and Matt Carey at -0.25.

Of the new kids, Vinnie Lettieri was -0.39, Ty Running at 0.02, Vince Pedrie at 0.05, Michael Joly at 0.15 and Oksanen at 0.34. I’m not sure why Oksanen wasn’t given more of a chance this year with Hartford. Given how bad the team was playing when the kids showed up late in the year it’s remarkable that the rankings were not that bad and they certainly were better than the 2016 NHL signings of Gilmour, Stromwell, Chapie and Kovacs.

The Wolfpack actually had players with good WAR rankings. Marek Hrivik was near the top of the entire league at 3.17. Chris Summers was at 1.85, Michael Paliotta was 1.62, Ryan Graves was 1.31 and Tanner Glass was 1.17.

Although Hartford had some talented players, there just wasn’t nearly enough depth in Hartford this year.

Matt Pfeffer's WAR metric for the full AHL season is updated here: http://ahlstats.blogspot.se/

McIlrath: -0.34 in his 43 games this year :(

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Paliotta was Hartford's best defender behind Summers. I said it all year and those numbers support it. I don't know why he has flown under the radar as much as he has. He's a very nice prospect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Paliotta was Hartford's best defender behind Summers. I said it all year and those numbers support it. I don't know why he has flown under the radar as much as he has. He's a very nice prospect.

You think Summers was good? I thought he was one of the team's worst players.

Paliotta might've been one of Hartford's better defenders, but thats not really saying much. The team has nearly no talent.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You think Summers was good? I thought he was one of the team's worst players.

Paliotta might've been one of Hartford's better defenders, but thats not really saying much. The team has nearly no talent.

I'm not a big fan of plus-minus, but the fact that he was able to be essentially an even player on a team outscored by 86 goals is a testament to his steady defensive play. There's nothing flashy about him but he's very reliable in his own end and doesn't make many mistakes.

I'll revise my statement: he wasn't just Hartford's second best defender, he was a quality AHL defenseman and one of the few players on that team that could actually contribute on a good team. He was my dark horse all year and remains so.

A lot of people compare random guys to Mike Sauer, but Paliotta is one guy who actually reminds me of him. Solid skater, defensively responsible, tough, strong, some latent offensive ability.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
So this is Hartfords corps next year as of now?

Beck (if resigned) - Nieves - Gropp
Joly (if signed) - Tambellini - Gettinger
Fontaine - Strömwall - Kovacs
Leedahl - Fogarty - Lettieri
Forward comments - We need help up front. Lots of it as it looks now - especially when Hrivik and Jenssen both look to bolt. At least 3 more guys here I would think. We cannot let these kids get thrown into the fire on an already lousy team

Graves
Gilmour
Pionk
Kampfer
Pedri
Zborovskiy
Day

Paliotta (if resigned)
Defense comments - Looks better than one could have hoped for a while ago. Will see what happens on The Big Club first. I expect to see one more European D signing
Perhaps one of Simek, Rutta or Borgman
Kampfer - moves up as a cheap #7 D in NYC maybe?

Nell
Halvorsen

Goalie comments - Skapski? Maybe he is not qualified
Hellbergs decision awaits what happens to Rantaa at the entry draft I would presume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad