Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I wonder how Georgiev is feeling. He gave that interview after signing where he kind of implied that he either was told or assumed he was brought in to be the starter for Hartford.
Hartford is just going with the hot hand here, Nell and Georgiev are similar age so no reason for both not battle for starter duty. Georgiev did start the first game of the season and lost. I expect they'll continue to start the goalie who's winning, that'll probably mean 50/50 share.

Edit: Nell is a couple of years older so I can see Georgiev taking a bit of a back seat early until he gets used to the NA game. Nell has out played him since traverse city and camp. Plus I can't imagine the Rangers actually ever told a 21 year old he'll be the starter in Hartford, more like he has the "chance" to be started in Hartford, and he still has that chance at some point.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hartford is just going with the hot hand here, Nell and Georgiev are similar age so no reason for both not battle for starter duty. Georgiev did start the first game of the season and lost. I expect they'll continue to start the goalie who's winning, that'll probably mean 50/50 share.

Edit: Nell is a couple of years older so I can see Georgiev taking a bit of a back seat early until he gets used to the NA game. Nell has out played him since traverse city and camp. Plus I can't imagine the Rangers actually ever told a 21 year old he'll be the starter in Hartford, more like he has the "chance" to be started in Hartford, and he still has that chance at some point.

If Nell continues to play well there's a very good chance he'll continue to get the most games. Georgiev will get more chances but he has to make the most of them when he does get them.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I got the Springfield game. Loved it. My thoughts.

HFD is much improved away from Gernander. It was a team that played hockey out there. They have a solid roster — like always — and I think we will see a difference in the standings this year.

Lines:
Tambo-Nieves-Kosmachuk
Lettieri-Chytil-Schneider
Purmpel-DeA-Whitney
Fontaine-Fogarty-Selleck
Graves-Pionk
Bereglazov-Gilmour
Crawly-Noonan

Neal Pionk is definitely one of the better Ds I’ve seen in HFD in a while. I love this kid. He handles everything, with ease. Doesn’t matter if someone is running him in a corner or he gets a puck in an impossible situation. He just gets it done. Moves the puck so well. Active offensively. Good shot. He skates really well defensively and just takes away the ice and space for the attackers. This kid is NHL ready.

Filip Chytil had a very good game. Sure he isn’t there 110% in all situations. But he really dominated a few PP shift. On one occasion he played the full 2 minutes and several times I thought he had stayed on too long and tried to hang on to the puck in the wrong situation — but he shielded the puck and moved it well and the kid is just a really good passer. He finished the night 1+2 for 3 pts and it was well deserved. They faced a very solid team infront of a full arena so it was really impressive to see. What a pick. Did I say hat his passing is really impressive?

I really like Vinny Lettieri in many ways. He is gritty and smart. A good scorer. I do have concerns about his engine. The AHL game is much more up and down the ice and small simple plays. Really few rushes. The NHL game can be a lot more N-S. He can make it, but I believe that because he seems to be the type that can make it to work despite all conditions not being there.

Boo Nieves was my biggest disappointment in camp and he was the same last night. Pretty square and played a bit without timing. Accomplished very little on the ice.

Tambs is doing a solid job in HFD, but I think he is a long shot for the NHL. Good shot. Good size. Is the overall game there? Nah, it’s such a skating game in the NHL and Tambs not a skater.

Two guys surprised me positively. I thought Steven Fogarty played a fairly good checking game. Wasn’t as immobile as I feared. RHS. Good on FOs. Of course a long shot, but if a kid like that keeps getting better and really focus on his role, with the right line mates, all of a sudden he can fill a role in the NHL too.

John Gimour has been trashed a lot, but he definitely played a really good game. Moved the puck really well. Saw some PP time. Played RD, strong No 3 D hockey by an AHL standard hands down. The kid definitely has a lot of hockey in him.

Alexi Bereglazov had a very solid game, but he wasn’t a big factor either. He made some good moves with the puck which definitely helped his team a lot. Moved it away from pressure, was mobile on the ice. Gilmour played RD and when he came up on the left side with the puck BG often shifted over to the right side and joined the play too. Good I front of the net.

Some have trashed him which I just think was pretty clueless. I think he has faced bigger transition issues to get to the NA game and I think I underrated how you need to be a little quicker and more aggressive as a D in NA. But BG is instantly neck to neck with Ryan Graves as the top 2-way D in HFD. He has great size. Was that the D that was described this summer? Hardly...

Ryan Graves was good. He had a tough rush or two against him where he couldn’t quite keep up, but played good besides those plays. Wasn’t that involved offensivly. Gilmour got most of the PP time on the second unit, but Graves also saw some shifts there.

Fontaine had a pretty quite night, but also didn’t have that big of a role. I don’t mind that. HFD has a lot of solid vets, which is good because you need that to play a modern game and you need to play a modern game to develop the kids.
Think Gropp and co will struggle some to get ice time in the AHL. Fontaine won’t have a huge role. But the bar to get in isn’t too high, it’s where it should be.

Crawly played a solid game. Good reach and good at finding angles.

Thought our goalie was shaky...

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lettieri and Tambo are both in the Top 10 in the AHL for SOG (15 and 16 respectively). Small sample size, but that's looking good only 4 games in.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I can move Chytil + DD for the right pieces - a person who can finish plays on this team a wing or center is something I value highly now, but I enjoy the read @Ola - did u watch the whole game, where? :)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I can move Chytil + DD for the right pieces - a person who can finish plays on this team a wing or center is something I value highly now, but I enjoy the read @Ola - did u watch the whole game, where? :)

Move Chytil? He's untouchable imo.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We need a sniper @darko - that`s why Gorton drafted 2 centers I guess. Chytil, Hayes & Lias compete for the exact same position while Zib is our #1 center for the moment. ))
At least my view on it at the moment - I started a new thread for DD and try to value him in search for that sniper.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We need a sniper @darko - that`s why Gorton drafted 2 centers I guess. Chytil, Hayes & Lias compete for the exact same position while Zib is our #1 center for the moment. ))
At least my view on it at the moment - I started a new thread for DD and try to value him in search for that sniper.

Unless Hayes takes a massive step up i don't think he'll be a Ranger for long.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah true, a good point - soon a new contract year too for Hayes.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How many are following HFD this season? @Beacon? @Osminator?

I think its a fun year to watch HFD games. Definitely recommended. Much better play than under Gernander, many interesting players, Pionk is such a treat to watch and so forth. :)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm following but will only watch the occasional game. Too expensive for a crappy production.

Yeah, its a complete joke. Its hard to find hockey games you cannot watch in good quality today in 2017, but it does let you watch the game if you are OK with not getting any replays, missing PPs because there is a commercial with the sponsor of the PP, missing part of the game because the mascot is doing tricks and what not. I also don't personally mind the camera man zooming in on cleavages on the spectators, but its also cumbersome when the wife walks in and wonder what the heck you are watching.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, its a complete joke. Its hard to find hockey games you cannot watch in good quality today in 2017, but it does let you watch the game if you are OK with not getting any replays, missing PPs because there is a commercial with the sponsor of the PP, missing part of the game because the mascot is doing tricks and what not. I also don't personally mind the camera man zooming in on cleavages on the spectators, but its also cumbersome when the wife walks in and wonder what the heck you are watching.

At least you're not watching women's beach volleyball.

Reactions: Ola

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ola: Thanks for your report. I am going to the Wolfpack Hershey Bears game on October 29 and will report back to the group. As a selfish matter I am hoping Chytil is still in Hartford so I can see him play in person.

How many are following HFD this season? @Beacon? @Osminator?

I think its a fun year to watch HFD games. Definitely recommended. Much better play than under Gernander, many interesting players, Pionk is such a treat to watch and so forth. :)

Reactions: Ola

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think a lot if not most of those AHL feeds are just the jumbotron feeds paired with the radio feed or something which is why you get weird "commercials" and crowd crap while the play is going on

Reactions: Revel and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think a lot if not most of those AHL feeds are just the jumbotron feeds paired with the radio feed or something which is why you get weird "commercials" and crowd crap while the play is going on

Yup, the feed serves the purpose if you want to watch the kids play, I don’t mind it that much.

Really looking forward to next weekend when they play again. Would be huge if Chytil can keep it up. He had some sick moments and dominated on the PP at times against a good opponent. But it’s not easy in the AHL as a skilled player to get involved a ton 5 on 5. Sometimes the game is heading up and down the ice a lot with the puck mostly bouncing around.

We shouldn’t get ahead of ourself, but Chytil has potential to become something special. Kopitar like?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Almost none of these games are actually broadcast on TV, so it's always a makeshift telecast.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
@Ola
The occasional game I purchase from AHL Live, had the season package last year... big regrets... otherwise it is highlights and online. Don't see why the NHL package (which I have) is about $150 and HD and whatnot and AHLlive features 260p 1 camera angles of which have the game is showing the audience and lost feeds and out of sync audio is what, $199?... Considering we sent a man to the moon in 1969 with less technology than a mid-2000 Nokia mobile phone had... it is somewhere between disgusting and appalling. Oh yeah, lots of twitter, courant.com articles and bits and pieces.... damn, AHLlive still don't have any game highlights after 13 Nov. ... they are truly useless in every way. #RantOFF

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I got the Springfield game. Loved it. My thoughts.

HFD is much improved away from Gernander. It was a team that played hockey out there. They have a solid roster — like always — and I think we will see a difference in the standings this year.

Lines:
Tambo-Nieves-Kosmachuk
Lettieri-Chytil-Schneider
Purmpel-DeA-Whitney
Fontaine-Fogarty-Selleck
Graves-Pionk
Bereglazov-Gilmour
Crawly-Noonan

Neal Pionk is definitely one of the better Ds I’ve seen in HFD in a while. I love this kid. He handles everything, with ease. Doesn’t matter if someone is running him in a corner or he gets a puck in an impossible situation. He just gets it done. Moves the puck so well. Active offensively. Good shot. He skates really well defensively and just takes away the ice and space for the attackers. This kid is NHL ready.

Filip Chytil had a very good game. Sure he isn’t there 110% in all situations. But he really dominated a few PP shift. On one occasion he played the full 2 minutes and several times I thought he had stayed on too long and tried to hang on to the puck in the wrong situation — but he shielded the puck and moved it well and the kid is just a really good passer. He finished the night 1+2 for 3 pts and it was well deserved. They faced a very solid team infront of a full arena so it was really impressive to see. What a pick. Did I say hat his passing is really impressive?

I really like Vinny Lettieri in many ways. He is gritty and smart. A good scorer. I do have concerns about his engine. The AHL game is much more up and down the ice and small simple plays. Really few rushes. The NHL game can be a lot more N-S. He can make it, but I believe that because he seems to be the type that can make it to work despite all conditions not being there.

Boo Nieves was my biggest disappointment in camp and he was the same last night. Pretty square and played a bit without timing. Accomplished very little on the ice.

Tambs is doing a solid job in HFD, but I think he is a long shot for the NHL. Good shot. Good size. Is the overall game there? Nah, it’s such a skating game in the NHL and Tambs not a skater.

Two guys surprised me positively. I thought Steven Fogarty played a fairly good checking game. Wasn’t as immobile as I feared. RHS. Good on FOs. Of course a long shot, but if a kid like that keeps getting better and really focus on his role, with the right line mates, all of a sudden he can fill a role in the NHL too.

John Gimour has been trashed a lot, but he definitely played a really good game. Moved the puck really well. Saw some PP time. Played RD, strong No 3 D hockey by an AHL standard hands down. The kid definitely has a lot of hockey in him.

Alexi Bereglazov had a very solid game, but he wasn’t a big factor either. He made some good moves with the puck which definitely helped his team a lot. Moved it away from pressure, was mobile on the ice. Gilmour played RD and when he came up on the left side with the puck BG often shifted over to the right side and joined the play too. Good I front of the net.

Some have trashed him which I just think was pretty clueless. I think he has faced bigger transition issues to get to the NA game and I think I underrated how you need to be a little quicker and more aggressive as a D in NA. But BG is instantly neck to neck with Ryan Graves as the top 2-way D in HFD. He has great size. Was that the D that was described this summer? Hardly...

Ryan Graves was good. He had a tough rush or two against him where he couldn’t quite keep up, but played good besides those plays. Wasn’t that involved offensivly. Gilmour got most of the PP time on the second unit, but Graves also saw some shifts there.

Fontaine had a pretty quite night, but also didn’t have that big of a role. I don’t mind that. HFD has a lot of solid vets, which is good because you need that to play a modern game and you need to play a modern game to develop the kids.
Think Gropp and co will struggle some to get ice time in the AHL. Fontaine won’t have a huge role. But the bar to get in isn’t too high, it’s where it should be.

Crawly played a solid game. Good reach and good at finding angles.

Thought our goalie was shaky...

Truthfully, it's the most potential they've had down there in a while.

Pionk will almost certainly get a look this season if he keeps doing what he is doing. He's very calm many situations and I'd say he's positioned himself as the first call-up should an opening become available.

Chytil just continues to intrigue me. The talent was always there, but he's playing with a growing confidence this season that really stands out. There were times last season where he didn't always seem like he was willing to assert himself, even against his peers. Not this season. Coupled with room to grow both physically and offensively, and this kid has legit first line upside. It's almost easy to forget he is only weeks removed from turning 18, because he plays like a 20 year old.

Lettieri looks like a guy who could force his way into an NHL lineup as a fourth line player. His offensive upside is limited, but he does so many of the little things that translate well into a bottom line role at the NHL level. In my mind, he's the opposite of a guy like Nieves who just doesn't impress me outside of his outstanding skating and frame. Nieves is easy to notice for those exact reasons, but you're spot on - it seldom seems to result in much.

Tambs to me looks like a career NHL'er at this point. He can be a solid presence at the AHL level, I just don't see much that leads me to believe he's a guy who is going to take a big leap to the next level.

Beregazlov has continued to underwhelm me. He's not bad, I just expected more from him. To some extent, Graves is in a similar boat. He's plateaued a little and hasn't quite taken that next step that I thought he might be able to by now. Not bad, just not quite knocking on the door to the NHL either.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Chytil just picked up another point. No look behind the back pass from behind the net to the front for Schneider, ties the game 1-1 6 minutes into the 1st

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
@Ola
The occasional game I purchase from AHL Live, had the season package last year... big regrets... otherwise it is highlights and online. Don't see why the NHL package (which I have) is about $150 and HD and whatnot and AHLlive features 260p 1 camera angles of which have the game is showing the audience and lost feeds and out of sync audio is what, $199?... Considering we sent a man to the moon in 1969 with less technology than a mid-2000 Nokia mobile phone had... it is somewhere between disgusting and appalling. Oh yeah, lots of twitter, courant.com articles and bits and pieces.... damn, AHLlive still don't have any game highlights after 13 Nov. ... they are truly useless in every way. #RantOFF

I think the thing is that basically the demand to watch AHL games online is so much lower that the costs to stream all that aren't balanced by the demand as well as they are for the NHL. Plus the NHL has real TV deals that could help subsidize things, etc.

Truthfully, it's the most potential they've had down there in a while.

Pionk will almost certainly get a look this season if he keeps doing what he is doing. He's very calm many situations and I'd say he's positioned himself as the first call-up should an opening become available.

Chytil just continues to intrigue me. The talent was always there, but he's playing with a growing confidence this season that really stands out. There were times last season where he didn't always seem like he was willing to assert himself, even against his peers. Not this season. Coupled with room to grow both physically and offensively, and this kid has legit first line upside. It's almost easy to forget he is only weeks removed from turning 18, because he plays like a 20 year old.

Lettieri looks like a guy who could force his way into an NHL lineup as a fourth line player. His offensive upside is limited, but he does so many of the little things that translate well into a bottom line role at the NHL level. In my mind, he's the opposite of a guy like Nieves who just doesn't impress me outside of his outstanding skating and frame. Nieves is easy to notice for those exact reasons, but you're spot on - it seldom seems to result in much.

Tambs to me looks like a career NHL'er at this point. He can be a solid presence at the AHL level, I just don't see much that leads me to believe he's a guy who is going to take a big leap to the next level.

Beregazlov has continued to underwhelm me. He's not bad, I just expected more from him. To some extent, Graves is in a similar boat. He's plateaued a little and hasn't quite taken that next step that I thought he might be able to by now. Not bad, just not quite knocking on the door to the NHL either.

Pionk is probably the first in line for injury callups or someone getting benched for bad play. He looks pretty good, very solid with the puck. Chytil...yeah, almost seems like the sky is the limit for him if his confidence and application of skills continues to grow.

Lettieri, yeah I wasn't super impressed with him in the post season other than he has a motor on him and will shoot the puck a lot. Seemed a little undispclined and did a lot of skating that wasn't necessarily doing a lot for him, but some of that can be changed with time and experience.

I assume you mean career AHLer for Tambo but yeah. Funny, a few times in the preseason he'd kind of get assertive and take over for a rush or shift but then go back to being a passenger. Probably just doesn't have that extra step to push him over the top into the NHL. He's skilled but how you apply those skills is what gets you to the NHL.

Bereglazov is intriguing...he's big but he's got real smooth feet. If McIlrath was as smooth on his feet as Bereglazov he'd be a NHLer right now. What happens to him in regards to the NHL will depend on how he can adjust and move the puck

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Chytil almost scored...got in on a 2 on 1 rush that he helped create with his speed to get past the other defenders, then receive a pass and make a move to his backhand that the Sens goalie had to make a great save on.

Then Belleville scored going back down the other way off a weird angle shot it seemed that got tipped

Reactions: Revel

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Things do happen with Chytil on the ice...been involved in a number of rushes. Had a 3 on 1 rush and Pionk tried to hit him all the way on the other side of the ice but put it behind Chytil and then Belleville got a 2 on 1 break the other way :D

Then a bit later in the shift Chytil broke into the offensive zone up the boards, cut to the middle and got off a decent shot that was gloved

Reactions: Revel

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Yeah, I'm listening on the radio and Crawford sounded excited when the goalie made the save on the Chytil backhand and then the later glove save. Sounds like Chytil is dynamic as hell out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad