Minor League Affiliates

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I read these posts and I just wonder how many people truly understand AHL/ECHL and their purpose.

1. The point of minor league teams is to develop prospects for the major league teams, full stop. Teams don't care if their lower teams win titles or do well. They are there to develop prospects. They used to be used to get a look at potential free agent pickups, veterans who prove something but those are extremely rare now. If you aren't a drafted player for your organization or a guy signed out of NCAA/Juniors and you are playing in the AHL, your real hope is you get signed in Europe. Realities of the salary cap and the more connected world where talent is spotted much earlier.
2. These players they call up aren't emergency replacements. Teams carry healthy scratches for a reason. They call up players to see them at practice as much as they call them up to see game action.
3. There is no expectation of creating a fan base for the teams above. None. These teams have their reasons to have players close by, but in no way do they expect it to make fans of the minor league teams more loyal to the top. So stop thinking of geography as some part of the marketing voodoo because its not.
4. Lastly, some moves from minors up are for salary cap purposes. That was a big driver for the nearby geography. I think teams might be seeing more value than they thought from being close and monitoring prospects, but it really started out as how do we stash guys that we can to cut salary cap costs. That could be done with an official announcement, but then teams saw some strategy to getting them to actually play a bit on the minor team. Lots of strategy I think the VGK are thinking through on this one, but its not something they will be worried about for a few years.

Nice condescending post there brother. I'll observe, however, that the only point you make above that I agree with is item 4.

First, IRT items 1 and 3, wins are important. They're important because many organizations view winning and all that comes with it as a crucial part of the development process. They're also important because teams that win put butts in the seat, which in turns helps the minor league team--which is a business--bring in operating capital.

Since we're discussing the Golden Knights in this, as well, here's an article that demonstrates the team writing "winning" into the contract. Here's the quote:

"According to a Wolves news release, McPhee and Wolves owner Don Levin have it written in the agreement that the goal is to win a championship at the AHL level."

Secondly, call-ups certainly are used for emergency replacements at times. Not too often, of course, but it happens. The key here is play time. Using Goaltenders as an example where your starter goes down, suddenly the backup is the guy. So who is going to spot him? Teams must decide whether to bring someone in from outside the organization or whether to bring that kid up who is killing it at the AHL level. And the question there is how many starts will that kid get, i.e. playing time, versus what their return is for him vice the outside possibility.

Lastly, and something you do not mention, is the alignment of the minor league affiliates with the NHL club to ensure they mirror what is being taught. This is prevalent nowadays, which typically means the NHL club will direct the hiring of a new coach at some point here soon in a new relationship. The value of that is obvious, that a kid who comes in is working the same way with the same emphasis on what the NHL club needs from day one. This saves time in development and better allows for usage of those kids during the NHL season in the event of a major run of injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->