Minnesota North Stars

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The North Stars were also able to end the Habs dynasty of the late 1970's.

A great seven game series win (I believe they won game seven in the old Montreal Forum). I remember that Gilles Meloche among others, was outstanding in that series.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Many people have their beliefs on what is the greatest “Cinderella” run ever but for me, it was the playoff run made by the 1990-91 edition of the Minnesota North Stars.

The Stars were struggling at the gate and on the ice. The fans of Minnesota had nearly abandoned the club with an average attendance of 7,838 in the hockey-mad state, in part due to poor on-ice performance and in part in protest to the way the owner, shopping mall magnate Norm Green, was handling the team.

The team scraped into the playoffs with a 27-39-14 record to qualify for the old "everybody in" 16 of 21 playoff format. The Stars iced a decent team on paper with key veterans like Dave Gagner, Brian Propp, Brian Bellows, Neal Broten and Bobby Smith. Jon Casey emerged as the Stars #1 goaltender and Mike Modano was in his second full NHL season.

Finishing 4th in the Norris Division meant that the Stars had to face the NHL's best club during the regular season, the Chicago Blackhawks.

Steve Larmer led the Hawks with 101 points in ’91 and emerging superstar Jeremy Roenick was close behind with 94. Ed Belfour won both the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year and the Vezina as the NHL’s best goaltender. The Hawks were heavily favored in the first round series.

After going down 2 games to 1 to the mighty Blackhawks, something happened. Nobody can really say why or how but the Stars began to play like an incredibly cohesive unit. Blind passes started finding tape, shots started finding the back of the net, and every player ratcheted up the intensity.

The Stars dominated the next three games of the series, outscoring the President’s trophy champion Blackhawks 12-2 in those games to stun the hockey world with a 4 to 2 series win.

The victory moved the Stars into a second round match up with the #2 team in the league, the St. Louis Blues. The Blues boasted the NHL’s leading goal scorer and league MVP in Brett Hull. Hull and Adam Oates were a lethal combination during the regular season with Hull putting up an incredible 86 goals and Oates picking up 115 points in only 61 games. As well, future hall-of-famer Scott Stevens anchored the blue line for St. Louis.

Buoyed by the confidence they gained against the ‘Hawks, the North Stars went right back to work, shutting down Hull, Oates and company 2-1 in game 1. St. Louis stormed back to take game 2 by a 5-2 score but the Stars proved they were for real with 5-1 and 8-4 victories back in Bloomington in games 3 and 4. The Blues battled but the Stars took them down in 6 games.

It was truly amazing. The 15th place team took out the top two teams in the league and they looked dominant in doing so. Something special was going on in the Twin Cities and the fans were starting to fill the Met Center again. This was becoming an amazing “Cinderella” run.

It didn’t get any easier at this point because now it was on to face the defending Stanley Cup champion Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers had a bit of a sub-par regular season due in large part to their best player and leader, Mark Messier, missing 27 games due to injury. The team had gone on great playoff run of their own with standout performances by Esa Tikkanen, Craig Simpson, Glenn Anderson and a rejuvenated Messier. Surely this is where the North Stars would be stopped.

Game 1 in Edmonton, the Stars had silenced the Northlands Coliseum faithful with an impressive 3-1 win. The Oilers stormed back to hammer the Stars 7-2 in game 2 and Edmonton fans believed the universe had regained order.

The rest of the way the North Stars’ magic took over. In two incredibly dominant performances they shut down the Oilers offensive weapons and put on an offensive display to rival the great Oiler teams of the 80s. 7-3 and 5-1 wins at home put the Stars in command, 3 games to 1, going back to Edmonton.

In game 5, the Stars always seemed to be one step ahead of the Oilers, and they snuffed out the defending champs 3-2.

This was truly an amazing run that the hockey world was witnessing. A team that played in front of less than 8,000 fans per game, during the regular season and finished 15th in a 21 team league, had now convincingly beaten the best team in the league, the second best team in the league and the defending champions. Not only did they beat these opponents, they did so with dominant performances and highlight reel goals.

Players like Brian Propp, Dave Gagner, Brian Bellows and Bobby Smith had elevated their games and were arguably playing the best hockey of their careers. Jon Casey was solid in the nets but the team, as a unit, was playing brilliant hockey. During the spring of ’91 the Minnesota North Stars showed that the whole is much more than the sum of the parts.

Now the Stars were faced with the talent-laden Pittsburgh Penguins. Mario Lemieux had come back from a career-threatening back injury during the regular season and had been dominant in the playoffs. Paul Coffey was coming back from a broken jaw and other stars like Mark Recchi, Kevin Stevens, Ron Francis and a young Jaromir Jagr were dominating in their own right. Tom Barrasso was at the top of his game in goal and Larry Murphy, who was acquired from the North Stars earlier during the ’90-’91 season, was doing a very effective job quarterbacking the Penguins power play.

The Stars magic continued during the first three games of the finals as they took a 2 games to 1 lead on home ice in Bloomington, holding the mighty Penguins to a single goal in the third game.

After that third game, it was too much Mario, too many super stars and Minnesota was overwhelmed. The Penguins – specifically Mario Lemieux – seemed to score at will the rest of the way, winning by counts of 5-3, 6-4 and 8-0 en route to capturing their first Stanley Cup.

The irresistible force had run in to the immovable object and was stopped.

For a team that was left for dead by the fans, ripped in half a year later to stock the San Jose Sharks and moved to Dallas in 1993, this was the most incredible, unexpected playoff run in NHL history.

I agree 100% with this post. Alot of teams go on cinderella runs, but the North Stars run was different. The team just suddenly started dominating. They played as if they were the top rated team, and if you were a casual fan and didnt know the regular season standings, you'd have thought they were. Cinderella teams usually go on runs as a result of amazing goaltending or good old fashioned luck. Not the North Stars that season.

ered7

Oct 21, 2006
Many people have their beliefs on what is the greatest “Cinderella” run ever but for me, it was the playoff run made by the 1990-91 edition of the Minnesota North Stars.

The Stars were struggling at the gate and on the ice. The fans of Minnesota had nearly abandoned the club with an average attendance of 7,838 in the hockey-mad state, in part due to poor on-ice performance and in part in protest to the way the owner, shopping mall magnate Norm Green, was handling the team.

The team scraped into the playoffs with a 27-39-14 record to qualify for the old "everybody in" 16 of 21 playoff format. The Stars iced a decent team on paper with key veterans like Dave Gagner, Brian Propp, Brian Bellows, Neal Broten and Bobby Smith. Jon Casey emerged as the Stars #1 goaltender and Mike Modano was in his second full NHL season.

Finishing 4th in the Norris Division meant that the Stars had to face the NHL's best club during the regular season, the Chicago Blackhawks.

Steve Larmer led the Hawks with 101 points in ’91 and emerging superstar Jeremy Roenick was close behind with 94. Ed Belfour won both the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year and the Vezina as the NHL’s best goaltender. The Hawks were heavily favored in the first round series.

After going down 2 games to 1 to the mighty Blackhawks, something happened. Nobody can really say why or how but the Stars began to play like an incredibly cohesive unit. Blind passes started finding tape, shots started finding the back of the net, and every player ratcheted up the intensity.

The Stars dominated the next three games of the series, outscoring the President’s trophy champion Blackhawks 12-2 in those games to stun the hockey world with a 4 to 2 series win.

You've done an admirable job summing a lot of history up here. Just to add something:

The reason the Stars beat the Hawks is Keenan couldn't get the players to stop taking bad penalty after bad penalty. The Hawks were constantly taking bad penalties in that series and the Stars played disciplined. {Chelios, Manson, Grimson, and Presley had way too many PIM} It wasn't as though that North Star team was void of talent, and the emergence of a young Mike Modano was as important as the young J.Roenick on the Hawks. There's no excuses for what transpired, but whenever the Hawks/Stars got together, you kind of threw the records out the window. Any and every game was up for grabs back then. I also have to add, if you watch the games 1 and 2 of that series, it's clear that the Stars were ready to play from the get go. Some people think Keenan burned Eddie Belfour out, or the team fought so hard for that President's Trophy (back when it was viewed as a real accomplishment, instead of the afterthought it's become), that there was no gas left in the tank. The Stars deserve a lot of credit because they played with discipline and were as pesky an opponent as there was in the playoffs that season. Casey played perhaps his finest games in a Star uniform during that run and I don't think Edmonton/St. Louis knew how dangerous the Stars were.

Guys like Dave Gagner, Neal Broten, Modano, Brian Propp, and Ulf Dahlen had solid playoff contributions.

The series had some very pivotal moments. Game 1 when the Stars stole the series opener, during which the Hawks were continually in the box and yet kept fighting back. They (the Hawks) exerted a lot of energy in game 2 just to even the series heading back to Min. Game 3 was a dogfight in Mini and the Hawks barely escaped with a 2-1 series lead, only to drop game 4. Game 5 was huge because not only would it push one team to the brink, but at that point the Hawks no longer believed the series was going to be easy and I think everyone knew it was a war from then on out. Back at the Stadium the Hawks had to like their chances, and I think 6-0 on home ice absolutely shocked the Hawk players, the fans, and maybe that's when the series was decided. Game 6 was almost anticlimatic because a lot of Hawk players were quoted after game 4 as saying all they needed to do was protect home ice. No longer was the mentality to defeat the Stars, it had become one of just surviving. The rest was history, and Keenan proceeded to dismantle the President's Trophy team shipping out Steve Thomas, Adam Chreighton, and Dave Manson, amongst others. In return guys like Brent Sutter and Steve Smith were expected to steady the team and get them over the hump, which they nearly did in 1992.

Last edited:

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That isnt true at all.

The Minnesota North Stars were losing so much money year after year (this added up since they entered the league in 67-68) so they finally decided to fold the franchise. But before they did decided to cut some of their losses so they sold a certain amount of players to an expansion team that was awarded to the city of San Jose and since SJ wanted to name the team the Sharks, they decided to sell the name to a newly awarded expansion team in Dallas along with a certain amount of players and draft picks. Dallas wasnt as far north as Minnesota and didnt feel it was right so they dropped the "North" part of the name.

:sarcasm:

Stars were a financially viable franchise in Minnesota. Norm Green was being greedy and over-extended himself. He banked on being able to contruct a walkway connecting the Met Center to the then-unnamed Mall of America (still called the MegaMall then). That was shot down by the Bloomington zoning commission because it would have to pass over 494 (a major artery for the Twin Cities). Green was also under pressure from the league to renovate the Met center, and would have to do so out of his own pocket (Minnesota is notoriously cheap when it comes to giving money for stadiums). Combine those two with the sexual harrassment charges he was facing at the time, and getting out of town seemed like a good idea.

It had nothing to do with the North Stars not being able to make money. Green didn't want to put his own cash in unless he was going to get a much bigger payday (the walkway) for it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Excellent recap, Ogo. You said a lot of things that I would have likely said. But here's a few more items...

-First of all, I do have to disagree with you on one thing. I would say the 38 Hawks would be the most unlikely Cup run of all-time. And they actually won the thing. Now, that was back in the day when the playoffs employed a best-of-three, but still, that 38 Hawks team was absolutely awful.
-I think Minnesota is likely the only team to eliminate the top two teams in the league (based on regular season record) and the defending Cup champions in the first three rounds of the playoffs. I remember expecting them to get aced by Chicago. Nobody thought they would beat Chicago, and I'm sure that nobody picked them to go into Chicago in Game 5 and win 6-0. It really is one of those truly incredible moments in hockey history.
-I think THN picked Minnesota to finish last in the league before the start of the season. And who could blame them. The team was about to be gutted by San Jose. Morale appeared to be rock-bottom. Their future in Bloomington was in doubt. It was the league's lame-duck organization. Really, the only reason they made the playoffs was because Toronto was so bad that year.
-One of the guys you didn't mention (I don't think) who really stood out was Mark Tinordi. That playoff was a coming out party for him. He was a physical force, a defensive stalward and a hard-shooting presence on the PP. A true breakout. If only he could have stayed healthy...
-A lot of guys played some of the best hockey of their career during that run to the finals, and perennial clutch playoff scorers like Bobby Smith and Brian Propp really came through for them. Poor Brian Propp. 0-for-5 in the Cup final.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Probably the most memorable was the North Stars improbable run to the Stanley Cup finals in 1990-91 under Bob Gainey. After squeaking into the play-offs they would knock off President Trophy winner Chicago, defending Stanley Cup champs Edmonton and St.Louis (second most points in the NHL) before coming up short in the finals and losing to the Penguins in 6.

The Cleveland Barons "de-merger" the next year which allowed Gund to take some players with him to San Jose weakened the team and they lost in the first round before not making the play-offs the next season and departing for Dallas in 1993.

Here is the dispersal draft and expansion draft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

Well, the Stars trip to the Final against the Islanders in 1982 was pretty cool, as well!

Wrong on the Barons thing. The Stars absorbed the Barons in 1978 and became a good team with the addition of Denis Maruk, but the only reason the Stars moved to Dall-ASS was the greed of Norm Green. He needed the money he could get by sellijng the Stars (and the Met Center to the Mall Of America for parking check it out, it's fact!) to escape a sexual harrassment suit and to get back to Canada with his skin intact! They have never been as good since, despite the Cup win in 1999. The 1982 team would have totalled them!

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Well, the Stars trip to the Final against the Islanders in 1982 was pretty cool, as well!

Wrong on the Barons thing. The Stars absorbed the Barons in 1978 and became a good team with the addition of Denis Maruk, but the only reason the Stars moved to Dall-ASS was the greed of Norm Green. He needed the money he could get by sellijng the Stars (and the Met Center to the Mall Of America for parking check it out, it's fact!) to escape a sexual harrassment suit and to get back to Canada with his skin intact! They have never been as good since, despite the Cup win in 1999. The 1982 team would have totalled them!

You mean '81. Canucks won the West in '82.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
As far as the Blues were concerned, they lost that '90-91 series long before they met the North Stars. Ron Caron (though its been pretty much confirmed that Sutter was behind the whole thing) traded our entire secondary scoring unit of Courtnall and Ronning, along with Momesso at the deadline for Butcher and Quinn which destroyed our offensive depth. Sutter was fixated on Butcher for whatever reason and Caron tried to spin it by saying something to the effect that "Garth Butcher was the kind of player you needed on a Sunday night in Chicago Stadium." It's widely renown in STL as the worst trade in Blues history. And they've had some bad ones so that's sayin something.

After the Blues nearly got upended by the Wings in round 1, they lost to a North Stars team who had to only focus on Hull's line because of the Blues' lack of depth. Stew Gavin had the series of his life by checking the daylights out of Hull and that was that.

I certainly miss the North Stars. The Blues had some classic confrontations with the Stars with the two squads being in the same division for so many years. The Ron Shock goal in '68 and Kevin O'Shea in '73 were both against Minnesota. 1986 was another classic Norris Division series. God I miss that division. The Blues lost a great rival when the Stars headed south.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
You mean '81. Canucks won the West in '82.

I stand corrected.

I went to many games at Met Center in the late 80's and early 90's (once I had some disposable cash!). There was nothing wrong with it except Norm Green was the owner. He wanted to make the entire area one big mall playground, and when he couldn't get that, he moved the Stars (breaking one promise he had made to the Twin Cities), selling the Met Center to the Mall Of America for extra parking (it was torn down to become part of the parking ramp on the north side of the Mall), and fleeing town ahead of the sexual harrassment suit filed against him.

We used to get KMSP TV Ch. 9 in my home town, and they showed about 40 North Stars games a year, so I got to see guys like Glenn Sharpley and Tim Young and Steve Payne on TV quite a bit before the run to the Final in 1981. Broten and Ciccarelli and Boupre (Sp.) helped the team a lot that year, as did Bobby Smith. My Park Board team wore North Stars jerseys, so I have always had a soft spot for them, and still have a replica jersey from 1985 or so. Plus, until the Jets became part of the NHL, they were the closest NHL team to my home town.

I like the Wild, though. I'm not a fan of the "Stars" of Dallas. They play boring, bad hockey most of the time. If not for Modano in the past, they would have had NO offense!

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
I saw Neil Broten's first NHL goal in 81. It was at the Met and the Stars blew out Mike Liut and the 2nd place overall Blues. Everyone was anticipating the upcoming playoff series against Boston and were really confident of their chances of doing well in the post season. The atmosphere was highly charged.

May 4, 2007
Hello all. Below find some snaps my wife took as a young fan at the Met Center. There are more I'll gladly post if these are of interest.

NorthStarsBlackhawks003.jpg

NorthStarsBlackhawks001.jpg

NorthStarsBlackhawks002.jpg

NorthStarsBlackhawks004.jpg

NorthStarsBlackhawks.jpg

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
My dad and i had a deal when I was kid. I would get a souvenir at the game as long as I promised not to repeat any of the words Herb Brooks used.

BannerSigMinnesota3.png

I miss that place.​

May 4, 2007
Awesome 29 what year was that? I'm having flashbacks man :wally:

Must be what 81?

From the players I've been able to identify and quick pass though hockeydb it would seem to be the 1982-83 season.

I'm a Chicagoan by birth so I was never in the Met Center ( Chicago Stadium was way better blah blah blah;)) but the Mrs. spent a good deal of time there as her folks had season tickets for a few years.

Check out a few more:

NorthStarsBlackhawks005.jpg

NorthStarsBlackhawks006.jpg

NorthStarsBlackhawks007.jpg

GNick42

North Stars should have remained in Minny. That state has a huge hockey following. I liked their logo and their history.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
Many people have their beliefs on what is the greatest “Cinderella†run ever but for me, it was the playoff run made by the 1990-91 edition of the Minnesota North Stars.

The victory moved the Stars into a second round match up with the #2 team in the league, the St. Louis Blues. The Blues boasted the NHL’s leading goal scorer and league MVP in Brett Hull. Hull and Adam Oates were a lethal combination during the regular season with Hull putting up an incredible 86 goals and Oates picking up 115 points in only 61 games. As well, future hall-of-famer Scott Stevens anchored the blue line for St. Louis.

Buoyed by the confidence they gained against the ‘Hawks, the North Stars went right back to work, shutting down Hull, Oates and company 2-1 in game 1. St. Louis stormed back to take game 2 by a 5-2 score but the Stars proved they were for real with 5-1 and 8-4 victories back in Bloomington in games 3 and 4. The Blues battled but the Stars took them down in 6 games.

It was truly amazing. The 15th place team took out the top two teams in the league and they looked dominant in doing so. Something special was going on in the Twin Cities and the fans were starting to fill the Met Center again. This was becoming an amazing “Cinderella†run.

It didn’t get any easier at this point because now it was on to face the defending Stanley Cup champion Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers had a bit of a sub-par regular season due in large part to their best player and leader, Mark Messier, missing 27 games due to injury. The team had gone on great playoff run of their own with standout performances by Esa Tikkanen, Craig Simpson, Glenn Anderson and a rejuvenated Messier. Surely this is where the North Stars would be stopped.

Game 1 in Edmonton, the Stars had silenced the Northlands Coliseum faithful with an impressive 3-1 win. The Oilers stormed back to hammer the Stars 7-2 in game 2 and Edmonton fans believed the universe had regained order.

The rest of the way the North Stars’ magic took over. In two incredibly dominant performances they shut down the Oilers offensive weapons and put on an offensive display to rival the great Oiler teams of the 80s. 7-3 and 5-1 wins at home put the Stars in command, 3 games to 1, going back to Edmonton.

In game 5, the Stars always seemed to be one step ahead of the Oilers, and they snuffed out the defending champs 3-2.

This was truly an amazing run that the hockey world was witnessing. A team that played in front of less than 8,000 fans per game, during the regular season and finished 15th in a 21 team league, had now convincingly beaten the best team in the league, the second best team in the league and the defending champions. Not only did they beat these opponents, they did so with dominant performances and highlight reel goals.

Players like Brian Propp, Dave Gagner, Brian Bellows and Bobby Smith had elevated their games and were arguably playing the best hockey of their careers. Jon Casey was solid in the nets but the team, as a unit, was playing brilliant hockey. During the spring of ’91 the Minnesota North Stars showed that the whole is much more than the sum of the parts.

Now the Stars were faced with the talent-laden Pittsburgh Penguins. Mario Lemieux had come back from a career-threatening back injury during the regular season and had been dominant in the playoffs. Paul Coffey was coming back from a broken jaw and other stars like Mark Recchi, Kevin Stevens, Ron Francis and a young Jaromir Jagr were dominating in their own right. Tom Barrasso was at the top of his game in goal and Larry Murphy, who was acquired from the North Stars earlier during the ’90-’91 season, was doing a very effective job quarterbacking the Penguins power play.

The Stars magic continued during the first three games of the finals as they took a 2 games to 1 lead on home ice in Bloomington, holding the mighty Penguins to a single goal in the third game.

After that third game, it was too much Mario, too many super stars and Minnesota was overwhelmed. The Penguins – specifically Mario Lemieux – seemed to score at will the rest of the way, winning by counts of 5-3, 6-4 and 8-0 en route to capturing their first Stanley Cup.

The irresistible force had run in to the immovable object and was stopped.

For a team that was left for dead by the fans, ripped in half a year later to stock the San Jose Sharks and moved to Dallas in 1993, this was the most incredible, unexpected playoff run in NHL history.

GREAT post. That basically sums up my love for the North Stars franchise. This was an underdog story in the NHL like no other. I'm a Canucks fan first, but I've always had a spot in my heart for the Minnesota North Stars. The team should've never left for Dallas in the first place, although admittedly Dallas has done very well. I have a vintage North Stars away jersey they wore from 1988-1991 and still wear it proudly.

I would love to get the North Stars 1991 Cup Run on video or something.

I should point out the year prior they had a great 7 game series with Chicago (which Minnesota lost).

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
we got a north stars helmet and jersey/gloves set for christmas one year. this helmet was green with the north stars logo on the side.thing weighed like 10 poundsLOL. so the isles win the cup that year and we go to the parade. and my uncle gets hit with an empty soda can. he turns around and everyone's screaming at him. we finally realize why. my little cousin is wearing the north stars helmet. talk about embarrassing.i'll never forget that.

Last edited:

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
I saw one game at the old Met Center in 1987 when detroit played the north stars.i was with the red wings forum club and we had a bunch of wings fans that flew out there for the game.we missed the first 10 minutes of the 1st period because our plane was late getting out of detroit because of the bad weather.the met center reminded me alot of joe louis arena in detroit.and those colored seats that were out of order sticks in my mind after 20 years.the arena was located next door to the former home of the minnesota twins Metropolitan stadium which had been torn down and was just a big hole in the ground in 1987.after the game the minnesota fan club that was called the star gazers took all of us the wings fans out to eat at a nice restuarent.i still to this day have that game on video tape. i also met Bobby Orr at the game and got his autograph, he was interviewed by the wings announcers in one of the intermissions. On the next day we all flew out to Winnipeg and saw a wings game against winnipeg at the old arena.

what did you think of winnipeg arena?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad