Minnesota North Stars

Wetcoaster

Probably the most memorable was the North Stars improbable run to the Stanley Cup finals in 1990-91 under Bob Gainey. After squeaking into the play-offs they would knock off President Trophy winner Chicago, defending Stanley Cup champs Edmonton and St.Louis (second most points in the NHL) before coming up short in the finals and losing to the Penguins in 6.

The Cleveland Barons "de-merger" the next year which allowed Gund to take some players with him to San Jose weakened the team and they lost in the first round before not making the play-offs the next season and departing for Dallas in 1993.

Here is the dispersal draft and expansion draft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Probably the most memorable was the North Stars improbable run to the Stanley Cup finals in 1990-91 under Bob Gainey. After squeaking into the play-offs they would knock off President Trophy winner Chicago, defending Stanley Cup champs Edmonton and St.Louis (second most points in the NHL) before coming up short in the finals and losing to the Penguins in 6.

The Cleveland Barons "de-merger" the next year which allowed Gund to take some players with him to San Jose weakened the team and they lost in the first round before not making the play-offs the next season and departing for Dallas in 1993.

Here is the dispersal draft and expansion draft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

That stanley cup run was the last high point for the franchise in minnesota.the stars in my opinion should never have left minnesota in the first place.it was done for the sake of a greedy owner.and this crazy talk of the seals or barons de-merger is just that crazy talk and the barons have nothing at all to do with this.If anyone reads that link in this post it says that the sharks are a new team not a barons team de-merger.There is not even a mention in this article of the seals and cleveland barons.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here are my Flyers-North Stars' memories:

• Gary Dornhoefer scored a significant game-winning goal against them in the 1973 playoffs that led to a statue of the play to be erected outside the Spectrum.
  • The North Stars ended the Flyers 35 game unbeaten streak in 1980. The team met that season in the semifinals of the playoffs and the Flyers won 4-1 after losing the opener at home.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
That stanley cup run was the last high point for the franchise in minnesota.the stars in my opinion should never have left minnesota in the first place.it was done for the sake of a greedy owner.and this crazy talk of the seals or barons de-merger is just that crazy talk and the barons have nothing at all to do with this.If anyone reads that link in this post it says that the sharks are a new team not a barons team de-merger.There is not even a mention in this article of the seals and cleveland barons.

It was the gund brothers who owned the Barons and they are the ones who got the san jose expansion and they took half the players. Barons = Gund / Gund = San Jose

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
My point is the Owners have everything to do with it. The Gunds owned the Barons, They owned the Stars,they owned San Jose.
I'm not saying it was planned that way it just happened that way. I may be old but I know I'm not crazy.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
My point is the Owners have everything to do with it. The Gunds owned the Barons, They owned the Stars,they owned San Jose.
I'm not saying it was planned that way it just happened that way. I may be old but I know I'm not crazy.

The sharks are not the seals or barons. when the sharks came into the league there was no mention about bringing back the cleveland barons or the seals. the sharks are a diffrent expansion team that has nothing to do with those teams back in the 1970s.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Your completely missing the point. :teach:

I was sticking up for the guy you called crazy for making the comparison of a "demerger" its a totally valid point. Its not crazy talk. The Gunds owned the Barons. They Merged with the North Stars, They were part owners. The Gunds were awarded the San Jose expansion. Claiming or labeling it a "demerger" is a valid point.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Your completely missing the point. :teach:

I was sticking up for the guy you called crazy for making the comparison of a "demerger" its a totally valid point. Its not crazy talk. The Gunds owned the Barons. They Merged with the North Stars, They were part owners. The Gunds were awarded the San Jose expansion. Claiming or labeling it a "demerger" is a valid point.

This has nothing at all to do with the barons or seals. the sharks were a expansion team period and have nothing at all to do with those 2 teams from the 1970s.There was nothing mentioned about bring back the barons or seals its a diffrent team all together.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Mentioned where? Are you reading some Barnes and Noble history of hockey book that has 500 words for each teams complete history? Whats your point? You refuse to believe that the owner of the team is part of the Organization? The owners are the same people. Whats your deal? your spliting hairs. Move on.

Wetcoaster

You are incorrect.

The Oakland/California Seal/California Golden Seals relocated to Cleveland and became the Barons under the Gunds. After two seasons the Barons and Minnesota North Stars merged with the Gunds taking an ownership position in the North Stars. The Gunds would sell their ownership stake in the North Stars and take some of the North Stars players with them to stock the new San Jose team via a dispersal draft with the North Stars. The North Stars and Sharks were permitted to top up their rosters via a draft of players selected from the NHL teams - make sense since the North Stars had lost players and the Sharks needed more than the players dispersed from Minnesota.

Seems abundantly clear from both a normal perspective and from a legal perspective the organizations have a lineal relationship due to the terms of the merger and de-merger.

You can choose to ignore plain facts but that does not change things.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Wetcoaster

This has nothing at all to do with the barons or seals. the sharks were a expansion team period and have nothing at all to do with those 2 teams from the 1970s.There was nothing mentioned about bring back the barons or seals its a diffrent team all together.
Not so as been clearly set out by a number of posters with links to back up their postion.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
There may be some attach points in the Cleveland/San Jose teams (management, ownership stake) but I don't think anyone consider them as the same franshise. They basically evolved from the North Stars and could as well be consider the same franchise as the Stars. Olymipia Stadium isn't totally wrong when he says those are two different team even if he's ignoring the birth process the sharks went through because s franchise is more than ownership. As I see it, The Barons died when they merges. The Sharks is more of a younger brother.

AgentOrange*

The north stars came into the NHL in 1967-68 along with Piitsburgh,Oakland,Philadelphia, st louis and the los angeles kings.in 1978 the Cleveland Barons mergered with the stars to form one team. the team stayed in Minnesota until they were relocated to Dallas. Lets hear your Minnesota north stars stories.

That isnt true at all.

The Minnesota North Stars were losing so much money year after year (this added up since they entered the league in 67-68) so they finally decided to fold the franchise. But before they did decided to cut some of their losses so they sold a certain amount of players to an expansion team that was awarded to the city of San Jose and since SJ wanted to name the team the Sharks, they decided to sell the name to a newly awarded expansion team in Dallas along with a certain amount of players and draft picks. Dallas wasnt as far north as Minnesota and didnt feel it was right so they dropped the "North" part of the name.

:sarcasm:

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
North Stars

That isnt true at all.

The Minnesota North Stars were losing so much money year after year (this added up since they entered the league in 67-68) so they finally decided to fold the franchise. But before they did decided to cut some of their losses so they sold a certain amount of players to an expansion team that was awarded to the city of San Jose and since SJ wanted to name the team the Sharks, they decided to sell the name to a newly awarded expansion team in Dallas along with a certain amount of players and draft picks. Dallas wasnt as far north as Minnesota and didnt feel it was right so they dropped the "North" part of the name.

:sarcasm:

The Minnesota North Stars were moved to Dallas.

Ogopogo*

Many people have their beliefs on what is the greatest “Cinderella” run ever but for me, it was the playoff run made by the 1990-91 edition of the Minnesota North Stars.

The Stars were struggling at the gate and on the ice. The fans of Minnesota had nearly abandoned the club with an average attendance of 7,838 in the hockey-mad state, in part due to poor on-ice performance and in part in protest to the way the owner, shopping mall magnate Norm Green, was handling the team.

The team scraped into the playoffs with a 27-39-14 record to qualify for the old "everybody in" 16 of 21 playoff format. The Stars iced a decent team on paper with key veterans like Dave Gagner, Brian Propp, Brian Bellows, Neal Broten and Bobby Smith. Jon Casey emerged as the Stars #1 goaltender and Mike Modano was in his second full NHL season.

Finishing 4th in the Norris Division meant that the Stars had to face the NHL's best club during the regular season, the Chicago Blackhawks.

Steve Larmer led the Hawks with 101 points in ’91 and emerging superstar Jeremy Roenick was close behind with 94. Ed Belfour won both the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year and the Vezina as the NHL’s best goaltender. The Hawks were heavily favored in the first round series.

After going down 2 games to 1 to the mighty Blackhawks, something happened. Nobody can really say why or how but the Stars began to play like an incredibly cohesive unit. Blind passes started finding tape, shots started finding the back of the net, and every player ratcheted up the intensity.

The Stars dominated the next three games of the series, outscoring the President’s trophy champion Blackhawks 12-2 in those games to stun the hockey world with a 4 to 2 series win.

The victory moved the Stars into a second round match up with the #2 team in the league, the St. Louis Blues. The Blues boasted the NHL’s leading goal scorer and league MVP in Brett Hull. Hull and Adam Oates were a lethal combination during the regular season with Hull putting up an incredible 86 goals and Oates picking up 115 points in only 61 games. As well, future hall-of-famer Scott Stevens anchored the blue line for St. Louis.

Buoyed by the confidence they gained against the ‘Hawks, the North Stars went right back to work, shutting down Hull, Oates and company 2-1 in game 1. St. Louis stormed back to take game 2 by a 5-2 score but the Stars proved they were for real with 5-1 and 8-4 victories back in Bloomington in games 3 and 4. The Blues battled but the Stars took them down in 6 games.

It was truly amazing. The 15th place team took out the top two teams in the league and they looked dominant in doing so. Something special was going on in the Twin Cities and the fans were starting to fill the Met Center again. This was becoming an amazing “Cinderella” run.

It didn’t get any easier at this point because now it was on to face the defending Stanley Cup champion Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers had a bit of a sub-par regular season due in large part to their best player and leader, Mark Messier, missing 27 games due to injury. The team had gone on great playoff run of their own with standout performances by Esa Tikkanen, Craig Simpson, Glenn Anderson and a rejuvenated Messier. Surely this is where the North Stars would be stopped.

Game 1 in Edmonton, the Stars had silenced the Northlands Coliseum faithful with an impressive 3-1 win. The Oilers stormed back to hammer the Stars 7-2 in game 2 and Edmonton fans believed the universe had regained order.

The rest of the way the North Stars’ magic took over. In two incredibly dominant performances they shut down the Oilers offensive weapons and put on an offensive display to rival the great Oiler teams of the 80s. 7-3 and 5-1 wins at home put the Stars in command, 3 games to 1, going back to Edmonton.

In game 5, the Stars always seemed to be one step ahead of the Oilers, and they snuffed out the defending champs 3-2.

This was truly an amazing run that the hockey world was witnessing. A team that played in front of less than 8,000 fans per game, during the regular season and finished 15th in a 21 team league, had now convincingly beaten the best team in the league, the second best team in the league and the defending champions. Not only did they beat these opponents, they did so with dominant performances and highlight reel goals.

Players like Brian Propp, Dave Gagner, Brian Bellows and Bobby Smith had elevated their games and were arguably playing the best hockey of their careers. Jon Casey was solid in the nets but the team, as a unit, was playing brilliant hockey. During the spring of ’91 the Minnesota North Stars showed that the whole is much more than the sum of the parts.

Now the Stars were faced with the talent-laden Pittsburgh Penguins. Mario Lemieux had come back from a career-threatening back injury during the regular season and had been dominant in the playoffs. Paul Coffey was coming back from a broken jaw and other stars like Mark Recchi, Kevin Stevens, Ron Francis and a young Jaromir Jagr were dominating in their own right. Tom Barrasso was at the top of his game in goal and Larry Murphy, who was acquired from the North Stars earlier during the ’90-’91 season, was doing a very effective job quarterbacking the Penguins power play.

The Stars magic continued during the first three games of the finals as they took a 2 games to 1 lead on home ice in Bloomington, holding the mighty Penguins to a single goal in the third game.

After that third game, it was too much Mario, too many super stars and Minnesota was overwhelmed. The Penguins – specifically Mario Lemieux – seemed to score at will the rest of the way, winning by counts of 5-3, 6-4 and 8-0 en route to capturing their first Stanley Cup.

The irresistible force had run in to the immovable object and was stopped.

For a team that was left for dead by the fans, ripped in half a year later to stock the San Jose Sharks and moved to Dallas in 1993, this was the most incredible, unexpected playoff run in NHL history.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Wet Sprocket

Apr 10, 2007
Sacramento
I wish that when the team moved to Dallas in '93 that they had completely changed the name. Not that I don't like the Dallas Stars name, but I wish the new Minnesota team could have taken back the Minnesota North Stars name. I'm not too crazy about the Minnesota "Wild". Really, is there a worst name in hockey?

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Minnesota

I saw one game at the old Met Center in 1987 when detroit played the north stars.i was with the red wings forum club and we had a bunch of wings fans that flew out there for the game.we missed the first 10 minutes of the 1st period because our plane was late getting out of detroit because of the bad weather.the met center reminded me alot of joe louis arena in detroit.and those colored seats that were out of order sticks in my mind after 20 years.the arena was located next door to the former home of the minnesota twins Metropolitan stadium which had been torn down and was just a big hole in the ground in 1987.after the game the minnesota fan club that was called the star gazers took all of us the wings fans out to eat at a nice restuarent.i still to this day have that game on video tape. i also met Bobby Orr at the game and got his autograph, he was interviewed by the wings announcers in one of the intermissions. On the next day we all flew out to Winnipeg and saw a wings game against winnipeg at the old arena.

Raoul Duke*

I just remember when I was about 8 years old and we got cable TV, well actually a new VCR and everyone was shocked that our channels went up over the dial of 13 - and all of a sudden we had like 50 channels.

I immediately found TSN, and the first game I watched was the Minnesota North Stars vs. someone. I was just in awe. You have to keep in mind the only games I ever saw were on HNIC before they had double headers - so I'd watch the French Montreal games, or Toronto, or Edmonton because Gretzky was there.

Never any American teams. That's my first Minnesota memory....That 1990 run as well, I was on board for the North Stars all the way. Had to love those jerseys back in the day.

Russ Courtnall being traded to Minnesota was another big one...

Then in highschool, long after the Dallas Stars were around, I had the Minnesota North Stars symbol shaved on the top of my head for kicks. More or less because I was drunk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad