Minnesota Golden Gophers

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Getting a split is never a bad thing in NoDak.

We need sweeps if we want to get to the NCAAs. And if Lucia wants to keep his job. We play like we did on friday. We can do it. We play like we did on saturday, wonder who the new coach will be.

I agree with you there, Gopher.

I'm just wondering why they didn't play like that (Friday's game) earlier in the season. If they had, maybe things will be looking a lot brighter towards an NCAA Tourney run.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
We sweep at CC. Never easy.

We take 3 0f 4 from the then #2 team tUMD

We split, on the road, wit hthe #2 team

Beat MI

Those are the numbers we got when we were a top 5 team.

Getting swept by MSU.

Swept at home to any one.

Getting 1 point in our own tourny.

Those scream CHANGE NOW.

Those scream CHANGE NOW.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
A split with AA. There is always the auto bid. We did beat CC, UND and UMD so we have it in us. But that looks like it is our only chance. The next three weeks are extra critical. Splits in all three could have been do able with an AA sweep. but now. :help:

As much as i have sympathy for Lucia. Being sick and all. he has lost it. As long as players like Stoa and Leddy keep showing up in the NHL. Schroeder soon too. You cannot say he has totally lost it. On game day we just do not have it.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
How has Haula's game looked like lately? He's been having a cold streak, judging by his stats. Is he still getting top-line minutes?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
How has Haula's game looked like lately? He's been having a cold streak, judging by his stats. Is he still getting top-line minutes?

As long as you are not on the 4th line you are getting top line minutes. We roll the top three all game long and the 4th the majority of the game. But Haula has been on the top 2 lines on paper all year long. He hit by the same freshmen slump that hits almost all fresh fish. Adjusting to school is tough. Leaving for a jam packed WJC can be tougher. The mini break around winter cuts into timing. It all added up. The last few games Haula has been lookign his best. Scoring goals, setting people up and just making things happen.

One thing i never liked about Lucia is; he re-shuffles lines all the time. Haula has played with a number of gophers. The PP also gets shuffled around. He has solid chemistry with most anyone but those fine tuning plays, just off the stick or just a hair inside or outside of the blade. He could have a few more points if he played withthe same guys IMO. But the team is looking gret right now so i think these lines will stick. Playing Cepis and Hansen. Hansen just picked up a game suspension for next friday so there will be a new winger there. Probally Nate Condon or Nicco Sacchetti.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
As long as you are not on the 4th line you are getting top line minutes. We roll the top three all game long and the 4th the majority of the game. But Haula has been on the top 2 lines on paper all year long. He hit by the same freshmen slump that hits almost all fresh fish. Adjusting to school is tough. Leaving for a jam packed WJC can be tougher. The mini break around winter cuts into timing. It all added up. The last few games Haula has been lookign his best. Scoring goals, setting people up and just making things happen.

One thing i never liked about Lucia is; he re-shuffles lines all the time. Haula has played with a number of gophers. The PP also gets shuffled around. He has solid chemistry with most anyone but those fine tuning plays, just off the stick or just a hair inside or outside of the blade. He could have a few more points if he played withthe same guys IMO. But the team is looking gret right now so i think these lines will stick. Playing Cepis and Hansen. Hansen just picked up a game suspension for next friday so there will be a new winger there. Probally Nate Condon or Nicco Sacchetti.
What did Hansen do?

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

That is so true of most freshman... The mid-season grind catches up with them.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
The gophers got a sweep this week end. We need a sweep next week end and we have to at win our opening series and win on thursday of the FF. I think if that happens we will make it into the NCAAs.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Well it aint over. But this team is too inconsistant.

Seniors

Cade Fairchild. I think he is sumed best as a great d man on a great team or a average d man on a good team. He never elevated his play after his sophmore year. Looking back alot of that had to do with Stoa and Schroeder owing the PP and Cade was along for the ride. He was solid he just had a lot to live up these past two years. This year he came around again but only when we, as a team, did as well.

Mike Hoeffel. I always thought he was on the verge of really breaking out ever since his freshmen year. He worked hard and was always around the puck. He plays a simple game, drive to the middle and shoot. I was wondered if he passed a bit more if he could create more space for his shot. If he got more on net and not all of nothing high corner if he could have created more rebounds. Always worked hard and i will miss his game.

Jacob Cepis. Love him or hate him. You have an opinion on him as he is very noticable on the ice. My only wish would be that he came here as a freshmen and i could have enjoyed 4 years of his play. When the littest guy on the team is the teams best pest, I love it.

Jay Barriball. The last remaing gopher that was a member the glory days. Glad he came back and gave it another go. Barriball much like Fairchild was great with Okposo and Stoa but his numbers went south when he had to do it alone.

Kevin Wehrs. At first i thought he would never play a game here. Then i began to wish he never played a game. Now i am glad he was a gopher and wish more people took his approach. He may not have been the most talented guy, but he got his money worth from his skills. He worked hard, stuck up for teamates, was in lots of mixes and made his mistakes along the way. I wish the next gopher tried to play out sode of his skills and attempt to improve.

Patrick White. The first time i saw him play was against MI at the X. Takes a rebound and rips it top shelf while dring to the net. He never amounted to much. Unlike Wehrs, White always seemed to play it safe. As a senior White still plays like a guy playing hockey, not a hockey player. All the skills but little drive. Coaches rave about his shot and skills but game time he did not have another switch.

Alex Kangas. Sad he ends his career in street clothes. Like Fairchild and Barriball he was solid with big d men in front of him. With Bickel to clear the way he saw pucks and coralled rebounds. With players like Wheeler, Flynn, Kauffman all on that same team we had a very responsable team. We we opened the game up Kangas was exposed. Still good just not as great.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Juniors

Taylor Matson. Just stay healthy. Just stay healthy. Just stay healthy. I have no comaplints about his game at all. One of only a few gophers that play with 100% heart all game long. Best PKer. Please just stay healthy.

Aaron Ness. While he is not in the Pat White category he is close. There is no edge to his game. He does not posses the killer instinct. He does step and makes plays but i feel he could really light up the score sheet. My advice for the Isles and the Gophers. Give him the C next year and out rght challenge him to be a leader and elevate his game and every one elses. If the isles take him now. He will be in Europe in three years.

Nicco Sacchetti. His PIM numbers look like this 43 as a fresh, 12 as a soph and now 20 as a junior in 10 less games than his soph. Plain and simple he looks lazy and unmotivated. Makes poor descions and his playing time is reflected. Still has talent and shows it from time to time.

Joe Miller. Proabally doing everything right. Played in 11 games and i cannot remember a sinlge moment. I think that is good for a 4th line guy.

Nick Larson. What a turn around. Chipping in very nicely. Playing PK and working hard where ever he is. 1st-4th line. Look forward to another year of Larson. Much like Matson on a lesser scale, just solid.

Jake Hansen. Its good to write about a guy that is an upper classmen and playing solid hockey. Finally scoring goals like every one knew he could. Working hard and is playing good hockey. Looking forward to him leading the team in goals next year.

Kent Patterson. If not for Patterson i would have wrote the end of the year review several week ago. SOLID.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sophmores.

Zack Buddish. Get a helmet and wear it. Get a body guard. Wear extra padding on entire torso when leaving the house. At least he has no more ACLs to tear. As for next year. i hope he stays plays like a monster and then goes pro. We could really have used him this year.

Seth Helgeson. A big strong solid d man. Very simple game and does it well. The key to next years success will depend on Helgeson IMO. The gophers will have puck moving d men but little size. Helgeson along with Alt will be the only two throwing theier weight around. Along with Patterson, Helgeson could really anchor a solid defense for MN.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
The super freshmen.

Nick Bjugstad. He is looking like the real deal. Best player on the team as of late. Scoring goals setting up teamates. Playing great on PK. Going down low and using his size. Just hope he stays next year.

Erik Haula. Again no complaints in general. Is looking more sporadic the second half. Do not know if the college life along with the WJCs got to him. He seems to have rebounded nicley the last yfew weeks. Really see his a mini break out player next year. Plays well all over the ice.

Mark Alt. Looking like a second round steal. well alomst. He is playing big in all areas and is shoing up on the score sheet. For a guy that has not played a lot of hockey the last few years, injuries and football. He could blow up next year. All the tools to be our best d man next year and IMO second best pro prospect behind Bjugstad.

Nate Condon. I expected Condon to be a 4th line guy with some speed. He has played beyond my expectations. Again nothing special. I hope he takes a lesson form Matson and puts on an extra gear. Is very quietly 8th in scoring for us.

Jake Parenteau. My only memory is off Jake is of him punching a guy on the face and watching his head kick back as he landed a few more. Gopher fans want a guy that will play tough and is not affraid of anyting. I hope we see more of Parenteau and tDon does not have him in the permenant dog house.

Justin Holl. I was surprised at Holl's play. My initial guess was that Schmidt would get the ice time Holl ios getting. Holl has done nothing spectacular but he has been steadily improving. For a guy pegged for the USHL i am pleased with his play and expect him to take the next step next year.

Max Gardiner. Got his feet wet. Might have been the odd man out if Ambroz came in last year. Again i look for bigger things rom him next year. I hope he takes skating lessons from his brother.

Nate Schmidt. Cannon for a shot and... Well he has a hard shot. With some extra work and some coaching he will be fine. Just hope he does not fall into the RJ Anderson and Nick Angell category.

Tom Serratore. Solid 4th line guy. What can i say. Hits, dumps and gets off with speed when thats the thing to do. Will be nice to have him for three more years.

Jared Larson. 8 games role guy.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Incoming.

Seth Ambroz. Some think he should go to the WHL. If that is the case he should have left last year. Playing another year in the USHL, to me, says he wants to add to his game. Leadership mainly. Something that under age freshmen have a hard time dealing with. Wil llike his size. We saw this year hos Bjugstad and Hoeffel could really work a cycle. Think of what Bjugstad, Buddish and Ambroz could do.

Ben Marshall. Solid puck mover. Looks to take over the 4-6 d man role. Fits the gopher style nicely.

Kyle Rau. While a bit smaller than his brother. Rau may be the better of the two. Chad put up 30 points a fresh. Kyle is more of a wild card. I look forward to his play. A scorer with a little attitude. No where near Cepis but he has some Napolean syndrome in him.

Adam Wilcox. As long as Patterson does not regress Wilcox will have an easy job next year. One problem is he must be groomed some what as he will take over the starting role n two years.

Travis Boyd. Playing in Ann Arbor i do not know alot about his game. Numbers wise i like that he takes few penalties. 0 PIM in 16 games vs NCAA opponents.

Who knows who else will fill out the roster.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Next year early predictions.

Don Lucia will be back. He has not been great of late, the last three years. He has gotten his illness under control and for the first time in a long time the gophers are more or less playing gopher hockey. Fast tempo with offense as seen by the last several games. A 7-3 win vs DU, a 8 goal week end vs WI, 13 goal week end vs CC, splitting with ND on the road, beating MI.

I would welcome a new coach. Unless we get a proven guy behind the bench. I do not want to sit through a year of an adjustment phase.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
If Lucia is back it better be without Hill. It's time to get some serious business back behind the bench and restore Gopher pride, it is in a black hole right now.

If no Lucia, I'm on board with bringing Guentzel in. Or Tom Ward. Or Scott Bell. That is my order of preference.

Lam7825

Go Goldy Go!
I wouldn't be upset if this is the last we see of Lucia in Minneapolis. and can we get a real ass't coach? Hill isn't it. that guy does nothing for me. losing Guenztel was tough. anybody?
no passion in this team. how many prospects leave early this year? Ness probably gone, am praying that Bjugstad stays for his soph year.
I'm one sad Gopher fan today. but somehow not entirely surprised by the early end to the season.

Lauri from Tacoma

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Roman's blog suggested yesterday that Bjugstad will remain with the Gophers due to pressure from his uncle to give it another go. I mean that doesn't mean FLA won't come and offer him the max deal.

Ness, Wehrs and Fairchild are all goners. I think Marshall and Student will fill in fine. You cannot be worse defensively than these three although at times they were solid at moving the biscuit. I think the defense will actually be better next year, although inexperienced. The less they are taught by Hill the better they are.

Excited for Ambroz and Rau. I mean Hoeffel had 13 goals this year. I think Ambroz will get 10 minimum so it's almost a wash. And let's not forget that Budish was playing pretty well before he went down. I'm not saying they will win the McNaughton but I would like to see them battling for the 3 range as opposed to the 5-7 range.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Well the gophers got bigger on the blue line.

Blake Thompson a 91 born is listed 6'4 231 played 3 full USHL.

Chris Rial a 90 6'5 205 played 2 full NAHL

I doubt we see alot of these guys. To go along with Helgeson, Alt and Parenteau we could have a very physical top 5.

Maybe tDon has learned a bit. Its nice to get the hot shot recruits but ultimatly D wins championships. Geting older 4th liners and 5-7 d man is nice to have.

Taylor Mason wears the C. Hardest worker on the team without the C. Should be an animal next year.

No fianl choice for Mario Lucia yet. Hope he comes here. We could use a big two way swing guy. Maybe Tony will talk to him and convince him to stay at home.

Eary line guesses?

Bjugstad- Buddish- Ambroz throw your big boys at em and see if they can handle it.

Haula- Hansen- Matson Hard workers and smart. Could play against other teams top lines and force the other line to play solid two way hockey.

Condon- Larson- Rau throw some speed out there. Not a line to forget about either.

Sacchetti- Issackson- Boyd Just a 4th line. Really the best talent left.

Leaving Serratore and Gardiner to break in. If anyone slips up a bit either of them are in, tDon seems to have learned more is better. He knows every game is a potential contract extension or a firing. Hard to fire a guy that makes the NCAAs. A no brainer if we do not. If anyone does not have it, they are out.

Larson- Miller. Will play here and there becasue of injury or WJC departures.

Alt- Helgeson
Holl- Marshall
Thompson/Parenteau- Schmidt/Student
Rial-

Might split up the top 4. Just to mix and match size a bit.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Gardiner is gone. Cannot say i am shocked.

Should have played a full year in the USHL last year. Now he gets to play a full year. Just was a raw kid. He just needed to be on the ice to work some things out. Instead he played half the games and never got going.

We will see the same thing next year. Someone will be unhappy and leave.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Gardiner is gone. Cannot say i am shocked.

Should have played a full year in the USHL last year. Now he gets to play a full year. Just was a raw kid. He just needed to be on the ice to work some things out. Instead he played half the games and never got going.

We will see the same thing next year. Someone will be unhappy and leave.

Where did he go?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->