Confirmed Trade: [MIN/TBL] Pat Maroon (20% retained) and Max Cajkovic for 2024 7th round pick

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Everything you said can be true, but doesn't refute the fact that CDH is a materially worse player than Cole.
Okay, great. Tampa didn't need a 3 million aav 3LD, just a guy that can be adequate as a 3LD until Carlile is ready the year after(or even later this season perhaps). They had the space for a better 3LD if they wanted, but will be using that $ it seems on more F depth. If they didn't have Hedman and Serg already as 1LD and 2LD, I'm sure they would've spent more, but it's not a big concern.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Cole -> de Haan
Colton -> Sheary
Killorn -> ???
Bellemare -> Glendening
Perry -> Archibald

It's inarguable the bottom 6 got faster and younger. Will they be as productive? Maybe not, especially with the downgrade from Perry to Archibald scoring-wise, but the bottom 6 is certainly going to be faster and better at forechecking. Colton and Sheary are basically a wash statistically with Colton being more physical and Sheary being a better forechecker. Calvin de Haan is a fine Cole replacement, he's a solid 3rd pairing guy. Only hole we still have is Killorn's spot who we still have a few options to fill with.

I don't really think we are just objectively worse than last season (pending a final signing for a middle 6 winger).

That's good, hope is important in life.

I especially like the Killorn > ??? line. I don't know, I thought Killorn was a pretty damn good player.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I especially like the Killorn > ??? line. I don't know, I thought Killorn was a pretty damn good player.
Could mean he's irreplaceable which I agree to some degree. He's consistently a .5 player and tends to step up in the playoffs. I think maybe the hope is that we can get that production elsewhere but that will be tough to come by but maybe not we tend to do well with replacements or find guys to step up.

I do agree with the poster that I think we got younger and faster. Our 4th line wasn't the issue last year even though they were pretty slow. However a 4th line is a 4th line and it's not those guys who we have to count on when things are on the line. It's our core which we pretty much have intact for a long haul. I think as long as we have our core including Hedman and vasi playing at a high level we will be tough to beat still. I dont think our roster is really that different. It's lost players for sure and a big voice in killorn. It's still a vet group who's done it a few times. I wouldnt bet against them as they've gone to a number of ecf in the last decade.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I mean, that looks objectively much worse. Glendening is black hole. Sheary doesn't have the versatility of Colton. And CDH is much worse than Cole. Cole was playing top-four minutes for TB and CDH is more 6/7D territory. That's a downgrade. And obviously Killorn is gone.

I'm not saying TB will be bad. Not at all. But I have a hard time reconciling with TB fans who want to deny that they got worse at all.
You say Glendening is a black hole, yet he's got better SAT% and had pretty comparable offensive stats last year. Glendening is younger, more physical, much better on faceoffs. That is a direct upgrade at 4C.

Colton is bigger and much more physical than Sheary, but from all reports Sheary fell off a cliff in the second half of the season and STILL had more points and only 1 fewer goal than Colton last year. Overall, probably a wash here.

Ian Cole was fine for us last year, I don't have many complaints. This year we needed someone to fill out the bottom pairing, de Haan is a perfect fit there. He had excellent metrics with Carolina (who doesn't) and was about on pace with Cole points-wise. Put simply, I'd rather have de Haan at $775k than Cole at $3mil.

Agreed on Killorn being the obvious hole. There are still some options out there to fill that spot and we will see what happens. If that hole stays a hole, we are objectively worse than last year. If that hole is filled by a nice middle-6 winger for 2-3mil, I honestly think we are better than last year. That bottom-6 was beyond plodding last season, going younger and faster is going to be a boon IMO.

It's like you read the first 10 words and then closed your eyes. Please re-read the last line in that post.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Could mean he's irreplaceable which I agree to some degree. He's consistently a .5 player and tends to step up in the playoffs. I think maybe the hope is that we can get that production elsewhere but that will be tough to come by but maybe not we tend to do well with replacements or find guys to step up.

I do agree with the poster that I think we got younger and faster. Our 4th line wasn't the issue last year even though they were pretty slow. However a 4th line is a 4th line and it's not those guys who we have to count on when things are on the line. It's our core which we pretty much have intact for a long haul. I think as long as we have our core including Hedman and vasi playing at a high level we will be tough to beat still. I dont think our roster is really that different. It's lost players for sure and a big voice in killorn. It's still a vet group who's done it a few times. I wouldnt bet against them as they've gone to a number of ecf in the last decade.
All it meant was that we haven't gotten a player to fill that spot yet. We may not and that, to me, means we are worse than last season.

I thought it was pretty clear though that I was responding to a post about all these guys that are gone and weren't replaced, so I made it simple with X player -> Y player. Almost every loss we've had this offseason was replaced by a comparable player that in some cases were actually upgrades relative to their usage and role. Killorn is the only outlier there, thus the ???.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
All it meant was that we haven't gotten a player to fill that spot yet. We may not and that, to me, means we are worse than last season.

I thought it was pretty clear though that I was responding to a post about all these guys that are gone and weren't replaced, so I made it simple with X player -> Y player. Almost every loss we've had this offseason was replaced by a comparable player that in some cases were actually upgrades relative to their usage and role. Killorn is the only outlier there, thus the ???.

For sure we don't know how it will be with the changes. Especially killorn. Kind of a toss up year for the Bolts like this last year was. Expectations should still be pretty high tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad