Millard Called Calgary "A Contender" On HCAN Today; Wondered If Jagr Would Get In Way Of Run

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Bit of a paraphrase here, but accurate nonethelese.

Darren said Calgary wasn't a team trying to get an 8th spot, but that they were a contender and he wondered if Jagr would get in the way of a Calgary run with his slowness like he did in Boston a few years ago. The conversation was with Kipreous and about JJ's impact with about 15 min left in the show. Nick was more concerned if JJ would be stealing time from Sam.

Anyway, I had to clean my ears out after hearing the contender take.

Too far? Is Calgary a contender or was Millard's unchallenged comment sauce-induced? Also, can anyone confirm what I heard (since I unfortunately I don't have a link).

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I trust Gulutzan will play the appropriate player at the appropriate times. We don't have to worry that Jagr will be on the penalty kill in game 7 or anything.

He's signed as a 3rd liner, paid like a 4th liner. The team doesn't owe him anything and I doubt Gulutzan gets bullied into giving him undeserving shifts.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I trust Gulutzan will play the appropriate player at the appropriate times. We don't have to worry that Jagr will be on the penalty kill in game 7 or anything.

He's signed as a 3rd liner, paid like a 4th liner. The team doesn't owe him anything and I doubt Gulutzan gets bullied into giving him undeserving shifts.

I hope so.

Also, is Calgary a contender in your mind?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That's like saying Johnny Gaudreau steals time from Sean Monahan.

As for the PP, Monahan and Frolik are the two guys stealing time from Sam Bennett. And if Jagr is stealing time from Ferland, so be it, you have to make a sacrifice somewhere to be elite.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Even then, they play different positions. Unless the implication is that whatever line Jagr is on won't include Bennett, and then that Jagr will somehow cajole Glen Gulutzan into playing his line extra time because, reasons?

I think, meaning, young up-and-comers - as Nick might be unfamiliar with other names.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
So far no comments on "contender" take - which is by far the more weighty point of this thread. Come on guys, jeez.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So far no comments on "contender" take - which is by far the more weighty point of this thread. Come on guys, jeez.

I dunno. I mean obviously we believe (or at least management does) that this is a playoff team. Now also obviously, they would like to secure a spot that isn't a wildcard. So, a top 6 finish in the conference.

Whats the definition for a 'contender'? finishing 1st in the division, conference? Is just making the playoffs enough? Is it more about the makeup of the team than where they seed?

Someone calling the team a 'contender' I don't think is really a controversial statement because everyone has their own arbitrary threshold for what is and isn't a contender in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like this Calgary team.
Depth down the middle (If Bennett continues his trend from preseason); the backend on paper is at the top of the league... goaltending's a bit scary, if Calgary gets the good Mike Smith; they'll be a really scary team.

I really think this team is poised to make noise in the Pacific and then in the playoffs. They remind me a lot of Nashville last year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Millard is a bit of a hack. HCN, like most shows of its kind, are mostly just about entertainment for people who can't get enough hockey. I remember that panel tore the Kings to shreds and mocked them for hiring Darryl Sutter as a head coach mid-season. They won the Cup that year.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I dunno. I mean obviously we believe (or at least management does) that this is a playoff team. Now also obviously, they would like to secure a spot that isn't a wildcard. So, a top 6 finish in the conference.

Whats the definition for a 'contender'? finishing 1st in the division, conference? Is just making the playoffs enough? Is it more about the makeup of the team than where they seed?

Someone calling the team a 'contender' I don't think is really a controversial statement because everyone has their own arbitrary threshold for what is and isn't a contender in the playoffs.

I guess I didn't feel like we are a gimme playoff team yet. But maybe we are. I hope we have that expectation, otherwise endless languishing starts to be the norm.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Millard is a bit of a hack. HCN, like most shows of its kind, are mostly just about entertainment for people who can't get enough hockey. I remember that panel tore the Kings to shreds and mocked them for hiring Darryl Sutter as a head coach mid-season. They won the Cup that year.

I kind of like HCN but it does seem to be more of a locker-room level of seriousness. But I find it somewhat entertaining to have on in the background.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
How is Jagr going to steal time from Sam Bennett? Faulty premise.
Powerplay time. I think it is safe to assume Jagr will be tried with Gaudreau and Monahan on the top PP unit. This would move Ferland/Brouwer (based on last year, not the pre-season) to the 2nd PP unit to play with presumably Backlund and Tkachuk.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Powerplay time. I think it is safe to assume Jagr will be tried with Gaudreau and Monahan on the top PP unit. This would move Ferland/Brouwer (based on last year, not the pre-season) to the 2nd PP unit to play with presumably Backlund and Tkachuk.

Two C will play PP time: Monahan and Backlund. That is what will keep Bennett from getting PP time. Nothing to do with Jagr.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I would hope Bennett would be used over Ferland/Brouwer.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Flames are definitely a contender. I honestly think we are the favourites in the west.

Too many holes on other teams imo. The time is now.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The Flames are definitely a contender. I honestly think we are the favourites in the west.

Too many holes on other teams imo. The time is now.

Favourites in the West? That seems like a stretch.

I would say we are likely 3rd best in the division with a argument that San Jose is better than us.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Favourites in the West? That seems like a stretch.

I would say we are likely 3rd best in the division with a argument that San Jose is better than us.

The Oilers have no depth imo. Anaheim dominated them outside of Cam Talbot who is a legit top 5 goalie.

The Ducks are hurting and this is the year we surpass them I think.

Chicago took a big step back. The Jets can't play defence. Dallas could be good but that blue line is still pretty embarrassing. We actually finished higher in the standings then Nashville. They lost Ellis for a long time and we added Smith and Hamonic

The west is wide open. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind imo.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think there's only 3-4 bonafide contenders in this league: The Ducks, Pens, and Lightning (and maybe the Hawks). NHL playoffs are a crapshoot in general and there's a high turnover of teams in the conference finals on a yearly basis but these are the teams that have established a precedent of success in the regular season and playoffs in the last few years.

It's up to the Flames to set their own precedent in the coming seasons, but for now they're absolutely not contenders.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The Oilers have no depth imo. Anaheim dominated them outside of Cam Talbot who is a legit top 5 goalie.

The Ducks are hurting and this is the year we surpass them I think.

Chicago took a big step back. The Jets can't play defence. Dallas could be good but that blue line is still pretty embarrassing. We actually finished higher in the standings then Nashville. They lost Ellis for a long time and we added Smith and Hamonic

The west is wide open. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind imo.

Saying the West is wide open is a lot different from saying the Flames are the favourites.

And for all the issues with the other teams the Flames have plenty of their own. They have questions in net with Smith and Lack, they are relying on Bennett and Ferland to take big jumps in offensive production, relying on Jagr defying age, Brouwer bouncing back, Tkachuk not having a sophmore slump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->