Milan Michalek TORN ACL out 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Milan Michalek got more then a bruised knee in the game VS Calgary. He tore is ACL when he got hit in the corner.

Doug Wilson says this isn't a season ending injurey. He'll be back come Febuary. Although Sharks will be patient on this one. He cold be out longer then that. The guys only 19 years old in December so take it slow with him I say. Also It shouldnt affect his career. It must not be a very serious tear if he's only projected to be out four months.

Koltsov71

Wow.. That is terrible news. I hope he makes it back before the end of the season and has no lasting effects.

Koltsov71

awesome` said:
Woah... that blows!

On which line was he playing?

I think he was playing on the third line, but I'm not a Sharks fan so I don't know for sure.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Lets hope they don't rush him back, and he gets his knee seriously injured for more than 4-6 months

I would like to see this kid Pre-CBA, but if it doesn't work out like that...just bring him back slowly

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm pissed off... that guy had a great year in front of him...
Let's hope he doesn't feel any after effect..

X-SHARKIE

Well folks... He was playing on the third line. He beat out some good prospects and even pushed Todd Harvey to the minors. He's now 6-2 220 pounds with the added gym time after the Draft. He's young, healthy, a physical speciman so he should be fine.

One option was to put on a brace and let him do rehab. They want to do it right though so he's having surgery. It's a successfull surgery in the past. In 1999 Tony Granato injured his on January 6th...He came back and played April 6th. With out any permanant damage.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
A GM hates to see a kid only 18 start his career with a major knee injury already, hopefully it isn't a problem for the rest of his career.

X-SHARKIE said:
One option was to put on a brace and let him do rehab. They want to do it right though so he's having surgery. It's a successfull surgery in the past. In 1999 Tony Granato injured his on January 6th...He came back and played April 6th. With out any permanant damage.

Ummmm . . . as far as I know putting a brace on and doing rehab is never an option with a torn ACL. ACL's can't heal themselves.
Or so I hear.

Ricci's hairdresser

Dec 2, 2002
Kubina_Fan said:
Ummmm . . . as far as I know putting a brace on and doing rehab is never an option with a torn ACL. ACL's can't heal themselves.
Or so I hear.

Exactly. For a STRAINED ligament you can try brace/rehab, but not for a torn ligament.

X-SHARKIE

``There were two options: rehab it and have him wear the brace, or fix it properly,'' Wilson said. ``We're going to fix it properly. We've got some good history with that.''

Tony Granato tore the ACL in his right knee Jan. 11, 1999. After surgery, Granato returned to the lineup April 6, played five of the final six regular-season games and posted a goal and an assist in six playoff games.

The Boot

Feb 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Kubina_Fan said:
Or so I hear.

Actually i had a similar injury a few years back from a knee on knee hit, tore my ACL completely and stretched my MCL. It's been two years since that happened, no surgery, used a brace and it has been fine, played on my highschool basketball team and kept playing hockey. The ACL won't heal by itself, surgery is needed but realistically i think he could continue playing with a brace on and have surgery during the off-season, but i suppose they may take the safest route and have his knee operated on as soons as possible and in that case it may be 4-6 months before he is 100% again.

The Boot said:
Actually i had a similar injury a few years back from a knee on knee hit, tore my ACL completely and stretched my MCL. It's been two years since that happened, no surgery, used a brace and it has been fine, played on my highschool basketball team and kept playing hockey. The ACL won't heal by itself, surgery is needed but realistically i think he could continue playing with a brace on and have surgery during the off-season, but i suppose they may take the safest route and have his knee operated on as soons as possible and in that case it may be 4-6 months before he is 100% again.

Wow. A case of mis-information coming back to bite me in the ass. My bad . . . sorry X-Sharkie. :o

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
RE-HABS said:
A GM hates to see a kid only 18 start his career with a major knee injury already, hopefully it isn't a problem for the rest of his career.

Hossa the Elder suffered a similar injury in his very last Junior game, and he's bounced back since then. Every injury is different, but it's possible that this one won't hamper Michalek's career.

Other Dave

Lukko4

May 15, 2002
Montreal, QC
Milan's older brother, Zbynek had a ligament injury a few years back and missed the last 3 weeks of the QMJHL regular season and playoffs and as a result didn't get drafted.

Z has bounced back since then, was an invitee to the Wild camp 2 years ago, signed, played a 19 year old season with Shawinigan, QMJHL, was outstanding, played a few pre-season games last year with the Wild, went down to the AHL, won a spot, and was one of their best defencemen as a rookie, and as you can see my my avatar, celebrated a Calder Cup victory.

Milan has as much heart as Z, so I have no doubt he will be able to come back form this injury as strong as he was before.

PK*

Too bad for Milan. I hope he makes it back in great shape.

BTW, who will replace him ? Dimitrakos ? Harvey ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->