Milan Michalek: Bad draft pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
CoolJay28 said:
Oh okay, I'll go ask one of them right now even though I only LIVE in San Jose. Maybe I'll restate what I said. He's strong on the puck and gritty along the boards, but he gets knocked down easily on the boards when he battles for the puck. That says <i>nothing</i> about how he plays when he's already got it.

I totally agree with you (see post #18). Without the puck, be it along the boards or chasing a loose puck, he is rather easy to upend on his skates. With the puck, the guy is a near rock.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
This guy is a GREAT draft pick. He is on pace for about 40 Points in his first NHL season, after missing TWO YEARS of hockey..... just wait 2 more yrs... he will be putting up anywhere form 60-80 points on SJ'S top line

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
superroyain10 said:
And Milan Michalek gets ranked 39th in HF's top 50 prospects rating.... :shakehead

Those rankings were done with him coming off major knee reconstuction and missing almost two years. Not to fair to judge them based on last year.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Legionnaire said:
Those rankings were done with him coming off major knee reconstuction and missing almost two years. Not to fair to judge them based on last year.

It's to be expected that he would take a dramatic fall off the list but my complaint is that they make no mention that he has been out of action for two years. The way its written up makes him sound like a ho-hum prospect d-bag and that's not the case if watch this kid on a nightly basis. I know I'm crazy but there has been nothing that would deter me from picking this guy No. 1 if I could re-draft all over again (I wanted him first then and now).

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Patty Ice said:
It's to be expected that he would take a dramatic fall off the list but my complaint is that they make no mention that he has been out of action for two years. The way its written up makes him sound like a ho-hum prospect d-bag and that's not the case if watch this kid on a nightly basis. I know I'm crazy but there has been nothing that would deter me from picking this guy No. 1 if I could re-draft all over again (I wanted him first then and now).

My bad anyway, I didn't know the new lists were out.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Patty Ice said:

Phaneuf? Staal?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Patty Ice said:
I realize who was in the draft.

That is certainly strong praise. His injury concerns trouble me, but he does have quite the package of skills. I'm not sure i'd take him over anybody selected Top 5 and Phaneuf included, but he's still a Top 10 selection for me. I wish him luc, he's had it bad early.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Caniacforever said:
That is certainly strong praise. His injury concerns trouble me, but he does have quite the package of skills. I'm not sure i'd take him over anybody selected Top 5 and Phaneuf included, but he's still a Top 10 selection for me. I wish him luc, he's had it bad early.

It's personal preference for me. Watching a highly skilled guy like that just gives 100% hustle every shift carries weight with me. That's not to take anything away from others in the top ten as a few are likely (*cough*Staal*cough*) to be more productive but Michalek just draws my undivided attention whenever he's on the ice.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
Legionnaire said:
Re-drafts are pretty stupid when they were only drafted two-three years ago.

and why is that exactly? Having two years of information is plenty enough to do a redraft. Injuries and development over that course of time should change the list pretty dramatically. If you were to ask GMs if they would like to redraft after 2 years, I don't think there is one person who would turn down that offer. Heck, people can even do a redraft on the same day if they wanted to, it is an expression of opinion and many times the fans' opinion do not align well with the teams', for better or for worse.

Pure Rock Fury*

Patty Ice said:
It's personal preference for me. Watching a highly skilled guy like that just gives 100% hustle every shift carries weight with me. That's not to take anything away from others in the top ten as a few are likely (*cough*Staal*cough*) to be more productive but Michalek just draws my undivided attention whenever he's on the ice.
Yeah, I hear you loud and clear there.

Next to Doug Murray, he's the most fun Shark to watch.

X-SHARKIE

superroyain10 said:
And Milan Michalek gets ranked 39th in HF's top 50 prospects rating.... :shakehead

When the staff doesn't watch the kid play, just looks at his stats, and just recycles a scouting report from his draft day... It's bound to happen. Three knee surgeries and two years away from hockey... I would say that's important haha... Elite speed and hands, along with a developing finishing ability...Might want to include something about that.

His skill level has over shadowed his defensive abilities ten fold, yet it's obvious they didn't really watch him.... because if you do, it's easy to see that in terms of pure raw skill and upside, he's up there with anybody after the obvious ones like Malkin.

I see an all star player in his prime...hell he's already a top six and doesn't look out of place on the wing with Patrick Marleau.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
When the staff doesn't watch the kid play, just looks at his stats, and just recycles a scouting report from his draft day... It's bound to happen. Three knee surgeries and two years away from hockey... I would say that's important haha... Elite speed and hands, along with a developing finishing ability...Might want to include something about that.

His skill level has over shadowed his defensive abilities ten fold, yet it's obvious they didn't really watch him.... because if you do, it's easy to see that in terms of pure raw skill and upside, he's up there with anybody after the obvious ones like Malkin.

I see an all star player in his prime...hell he's already a top six and doesn't look out of place on the wing with Patrick Marleau.

Well in all fairness to the people who made the prospect list, he has in fact had those three serious knee operations. Regardless of it that immediately impacts his skill level, which it doesn't, it still could mean trouble in the immediate future if he doesn't start playing hockey on a regular basis. Pavel Bure is still probably the most skilled player in the world right now, but his knee troubles have prevented him from playing to the best of his ability so he had to retire. So in essence, if people had to pick if they wanted even Rob Neidermeyer or Pavel Bure, most would take Rob Neidermeyer at this point because he could still give you something.

I don't think there is a debate on whether or not Milan Michalek has projectable top line talent, the question has been here recently whether or not he could stay healthy enough to use it on a regular basis. That's probably why he slipped so far.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Caniacforever said:
Well in all fairness to the people who made the prospect list, he has in fact had those three serious knee operations.

My argument is that, in fairness to the readers, those three knee surgeries should have been noted in the scouting report rather than label him as a "fading prospect."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad