Player Discussion Milan Lucic V.2.0

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How does LTIR in this case work exactly? The player comes off the cap entirely or just for the season and then is on the cap in the summer?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Which is why I don't think it's far fetched that he could be put on LTIR. I mean these guys have to operate on a very high physical level. How do you play hockey against some of the greatest athletes on the planet when you've got something like that? The only question is why did Chia sign a 28-year old player with such a condition to such a contract.
Chia signed him to that contract because:
1) He won a cup with him (past biases strongly effect decisions he makes in the present)
2) He likes his "character"
3) He is a big guy and Chia thought we needed to be a big team to compete
4) He's dumb.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
His current deployment in the lineup is creating a toxic situation. Take the pressure off the guy and move him down the lineup. Everyone is on his back right now. Put him where his current performance justifies and force him to earn his way back up the lineup. Was voted 2nd toughest player in the league. Play him for the toughness factor, his hockey skills aren't cutting it in his current use. Stop putting him in high pressure situations against tough matchups and see if he can regain some confidence.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
His current deployment in the lineup is creating a toxic situation. Take the pressure off the guy and move him down the lineup. Everyone is on his back right now. Put him where his current performance justifies and force him to earn his way back up the lineup. Was voted 2nd toughest player in the league. Play him for the toughness factor, his hockey skills aren't cutting it in his current use. Stop putting him in high pressure situations against tough matchups and see if he can regain some confidence.

This would be the logical move. Get the spotlight off him and let him go out and just play.

Thus I look forward to him playing 20 min a game down the stretch...

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Chia signed him to that contract because:
1) He won a cup with him (past biases strongly effect decisions he makes in the present)
2) He likes his "character"
3) He is a big guy and Chia thought we needed to be a big team to compete
4) He's dumb.
By far the most prominent reason.

Lucic needs to be sent to Robidas Island until the next lockout kicks in and we hopefully come out of it with another amnesty buyout available. Chiarelli can be sent to Robidas Island too for "injury to his intelligence", because he clearly lost any semblence of competence after 2012.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That roughing penalty that he took leads me to believe that he's hurting and trying to protect himself. He's usually more controlled.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That roughing penalty that he took leads me to believe that he's hurting and trying to protect himself. He's usually more controlled.

Or the play where the Panther crosschecked him, then sticked him, and Lucic just looking at him and skating off the ice. The Panthers are taunting him out there.

In anycase these are selfish, and dumb retaliation penalties.

Where is Patrick Maroon to deal with this stuff?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Or the play where the Panther crosschecked him, then sticked him, and Lucic just looking at him and skating off the ice. The Panthers are taunting him out there.

He was traded for "this year's 3rd round pick"
---
Peter Chiarelli.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
He has a reputation for taking dumb penalties, he's been more controlled (and less passionate in general) as an Oiler, but it didn't seem at all out of character to me. He's just a frustrated player right now, who badly wants to help the team, but seems completely unable to do so and he let some frustrations boil over today. I've seen him get cold and play like this many times, part of the reason I was so outspoken about not picking him up in the first place, this stretch though is like 3 of his typical cold streaks glued together though. Beyond his recent unwillingness to fight there is nothing about his game or typical skating/shot mechanics that would lead me to believe he is nursing a serious injury.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He does not seem right and willing to get his nose dirty. A bad back could do this as having a spasm in a fight would be the craps.

He has a reputation for taking dumb penalties, he's been more controlled (and less passionate in general) as an Oiler, but it didn't seem at all out of character to me. He's just a frustrated player right now, who badly wants to help the team, but seems completely unable to do so and he let some frustrations boil over today. I've seen him get cold and play like this many times, part of the reason I was so outspoken about not picking him up in the first place, this stretch though is like 3 of his typical cold streaks glued together though. Beyond his recent unwillingness to fight there is nothing about his game or typical skating/shot mechanics that would lead me to believe he is nursing a serious injury.

Usually they come when guys take hefty runs at him though. Something does not seem right IMO.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Typically the biggest mistakes GMs make in the UFA market is with term. Most of us (including myself) recognized the value that a big tough winger could bring to the Oilers, however the 7 year term probably meant that we were going to get 3-4 productive years and 3-4 declining years. His hard playing style, degenerative back condition (which should have been a huge red flag for the Oilers) and the league shifting to an emphasis on speed accelerated this.

Biggest problem I have with Lucic is he is getting the coach's son minutes. Spoon fed top line minutes and PP time when he probably shouldn't even be in the line-up. That can't be healthy for team chemistry and shows an absolute lack of accountability within the team. Almost feel bad for Tmac as you have to think he's getting the play the Lucic directive from someone up the food chain.

The options are not promising:
1. Lucic has to re-vamp his training to increase foot speed in the offseason.
2. You trade him for another bad contract.
3. You pay assets to move him.
4. You absorb cap space when you are already pressed for such space.

Reactions: GameChanger

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He's got a back problem we all know that. How realistic is it for the oilers to say because of his back he's not able to play at an NHL level and ltir him like Lupul, Horton, Hossa etc?

Unlike them Lucic actually has health issues and is clearly no longer an NHL player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's got a back problem we all know that. How realistic is it for the oilers to say because of his back he's not able to play at an NHL level and ltir him like Lupul, Horton, Hossa etc?

Unlike them Lucic actually has health issues and is clearly no longer an NHL player.
all Lucic would have to do is say that he's got some pain or discomfort and I think it would be enough to LTIR him, but imo the earliest we can really think of that is the 2019 offseason. If Chia were smart he'd be lining up some medical records to make his case starting now. That is what Chicago did. They had to establish a history of issues and medication for Hossa

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
all Lucic would have to do is say that he's got some pain or discomfort and I think it would be enough to LTIR him, but imo the earliest we can really think of that is the 2019 offseason. If Chia were smart he'd be lining up some medical records to make his case starting now. That is what Chicago did. They had to establish a history of issues and medication for Hossa

In that case they would still have to pay the full salary till the end of the deal? So that would mean (if they LTIR'd him now) they'd pay some 25 million for nothing. I'm not sure how the Oilers feel about that, I guess after a couple of years that's a smaller issue as the salary obviously gets less towards the end and the two most expensive years are out of the way.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
In that case they would still have to pay the full salary till the end of the deal? So that would mean (if they LTIR'd him now) they'd pay some 25 million for nothing. I'm sure how the Oilers feel about that, I guess after a couple of years that's a smaller issue as the salary obviously gets less towards the end and the two most expensive years are out of the way.
Not my money. It's a much better option than dealing with 6 million cap tied to this useless player for 5 more years. Katz has shown to be willing to take on bury contracts before (Souray, Fayne), the one positive thing I can say about him as an owner is that he's willing to provide funding unlike the EIG.

Reactions: GameChanger

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
In that case they would still have to pay the full salary till the end of the deal? So that would mean (if they LTIR'd him now) they'd pay some 25 million for nothing. I'm not sure how the Oilers feel about that, I guess after a couple of years that's a smaller issue as the salary obviously gets less towards the end and the two most expensive years are out of the way.

Depends on how badly they want to win. Toronto has no issues paying Lupul and Horton at the same time. They want to win. I have no doubt if they were dumb enough to sign Lucic he'd be ltir'd.

Reactions: dawunderboy

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I'd swap Lucic for Ryan straight across if both teams ate a little salary. Sens get a lower cap hit and lower actual salary, Oilers get a bad deal that's one year shorter.
Can't both eat salary just balances out to nothing. Makes no sense. Eating salary doesn't reduce cap hit someone still has it.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Insurance I think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad