Player Discussion Milan Lucic V.2.0

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Craig Simpson ripping Lucic pretty hard on Oilers Now, lol.

He said when the contract was signed it was going to be a bad one for the Oilers by the second year.

Doesn't believe Lucic will bounce back either, says he's on the downside of his career.

#SimpsonForGM

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I knew the signing would eventually get bad but not this quickly. He looks content with floating each night.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He was at least producing and wasn't the play killing machine that he is now. He may never get there again but hopefully he can at least be a useful player on the 3rd line, anything less is a complete disaster.
If I recall correctly he had an absurdly high PDO earlier this year. He definitely looked better than he does now though. If he continues to play like this I wouldn't even play him in the bottom 6. Maybe we can send him to Robidas island.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It's quite clear Lucic has been the worst player in the league this year.

Sounds extreme?

Ask yourself if any player thst exclusively played with mcscid and Draisaitl not to mention got first unit pp minutes would be as bad.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Someone mentioned his back maybe acting up. This maybe a great opportunity to put him on injured reserve. T.O did it with lupal and got away with why not the oil. :dunno:
Difference is Lupul has actually had injuries throughout his career.

Lucic has never had a back issue in his career.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
In that case looks like its going to be a long painful contract unless he can completely re invent himself this off season
Guaranteed that is what will be reported over the summer and bleated to the sheep who buy season tickets.

"Best shape of his life; stronger, lighter, faster."

Results will be the same. The game has passed him by like a house on the side of the road.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Guaranteed that is what will be reported over the summer and bleated to the sheep who buy season tickets.

"Best shape of his life; stronger, lighter, faster."

Results will be the same. The game has passed him by like a house on the side of the road.

Looking back, it's so weird that he would make that claim since he came into camp at 235 lbs and is now pushing 240 lbs. Now he says he needs to lose 10+ lbs.

He really does need to reinvent himself. I had no idea when we got him that he was just a big football player body guy that tries to bullrush everything and mainly score on rushes. Never expected that he was as bad as he is on the boards and around the net. I honestly thought we got a guy that was going to be able to play more of a strong posession game and slow things down and compliment a guy like Drai. I failed my scouting report clearly :)

When he was younger and the game was slower I can totally see how he could just pile drive down the ice with his big top heavy frame and hack at the puck and put up 50 points. Now the game is faster, and he is older and slower. He has to figure out how to play along the boards now, and get some skills around the net. May well be impossible at this point in his career. Especially since he stuck his nose up at the idea of a skills coach in his interview with Gregor.

Reactions: Jamin

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I really thinks they should put him in the minors the rest of the way. Say flat out we will do it for the remainder of the contract. He needs a light lit under his ass. I think good managment would do just that. Sadly Chia is buddy buddy with him so won't happen.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully he's just saving his goal luck for next season and beyond. He had a chance to lay a good hit on Braun late in the 3rd but passed it up. Guy had been chippy with Connor the whole damn game and Looch didn't take the hit when it presented itself.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I hope somehow he's gone from the team next season. His bad play has definitely hurt the team more than any other player.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I really thinks they should put him in the minors the rest of the way. Say flat out we will do it for the remainder of the contract. He needs a light lit under his ass. I think good managment would do just that. Sadly Chia is buddy buddy with him so won't happen.
We can't do that he has a full NMC he can't be demoted to the AHL, his NMC stays inforce till July 1, 2022 after which it becomes a limited NTC. As frustrating as he has been to watch of late, I don't think that is the solution, keep a good relationship and hope he is able to make the necessary adjustments to his game in the off-season and rebuild his confidence. The only real benefit I see to having Chia here is that I do think Lucic values his opinion a lot being that they are buddy-buddy and cause of that is the most likely person to get him to waive his NMC, though Chia loves him so I doubt that will actually occur anytime soon.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
We can't do that he has a full NMC he can't be demoted to the AHL, his NMC stays inforce till July 1, 2022 after which it becomes a limited NTC. As frustrating as he has been to watch of late, I don't think that is the solution, keep a good relationship and hope he is able to make the necessary adjustments to his game in the off-season and rebuild his confidence. The only real benefit I see to having Chia here is that I do think Lucic values his opinion a lot being that they are buddy-buddy and cause of that is the most likely person to get him to waive his NMC, though Chia loves him so I doubt that will actually occur anytime soon.

That NMC is there for the length of the contract. In the last 2 years he submits a ten team list that he can be traded to but the NMC stays. He can’t be waived and costs a protected spot in any expansion draft.
Chia took care of his boy.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Milan Lucic has Scheuermann's Disease, a degenerative back issue.

Which is why I don't think it's far fetched that he could be put on LTIR. I mean these guys have to operate on a very high physical level. How do you play hockey against some of the greatest athletes on the planet when you've got something like that? The only question is why did Chia sign a 28-year old player with such a condition to such a contract.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Lucic must be dealing with an injury or his back condition is getting worse. He looks like a shadow of his former self.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Lucic must be dealing with an injury or his back condition is getting worse. He looks like a shadow of his former self.

Who woulda thought a tough as nail players body would start to break down

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Someone mentioned his back maybe acting up. This maybe a great opportunity to put him on injured reserve. T.O did it with lupal and got away with why not the oil. :dunno:

Chia doesn't have the ruthlessness of Laimorello to forcibly put a player on LTIR.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Which is why I don't think it's far fetched that he could be put on LTIR. I mean these guys have to operate on a very high physical level. How do you play hockey against some of the greatest athletes on the planet when you've got something like that? The only question is why did Chia sign a 28-year old player with such a condition to such a contract.
Because that is what he cost. Simple enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad