Mikko Koivu or Lauri Tukonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
I know that usually the poster will always the ''flavor of the week'' or ''the younger player'' but I was really wondering, if you had the chance to get one of them who would pick ?

The often underrated Mikko Koivu ?
or
The supposedly top 5 who fall into 11 Lauri Tukonen ?

I thought that it would be a good debate since they are both finnish player.

GAME ON

KINGLEWOOD

Apr 6, 2003
INGLEWOOD, CA
Visit site
I've never seen any of the two play, but I'm sure us Kings fans are in for a treat on 7/12 the Kings prospect camp starts and Tukonen is expected to attend. There will be more opinions on him from the Kings staff and fans as soon as we see him in the scrimages.

Check the Kings message board for more info.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
At this rate Tukonen is two years ahead in development and doesn't have as much limitations to his potential as Koivu (skating, sharpness, finishing). Koivu is superior in the most important cathegory (hockey sense) but faces too tough a challenge here.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Laituri said:
At this rate Tukonen is two years ahead in development and doesn't have as much limitations to his potential as Koivu (skating, sharpness, finishing). Koivu is superior in the most important cathegory (hockey sense) but faces too tough a challenge here.

So you would still pick Tukonen over Koivu here ?

Is Koivu a safer pick while Tukonen having higher potential ?

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
eddy said:
Right now i'd go with Tukonen, Koivu hasn't done much since being drafted.

Koivu progressed quite nicely last season, debuting with the Mens national team and winning the number 1st-line centre job for TPS from former NHL'er Antti Aalto late in the season.He scored 30 points in 45 games, so he was also quite productive.I think Mikko has the chance to develop into a 2nd-line NHL center But out of the two I would take Tukonen, because has a bit more upside,

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
TK79 said:
Koivu progressed quite nicely last season, debuting with the Mens national team and winning the number 1st-line centre job for TPS from former NHL'er Antti Aalto late in the season.He scored 30 points in 45 games, so he was also quite productive.I think Mikko has the chance to develop into a 2nd-line NHL center But out of the two I would take Tukonen, because has a bit more upside,

Will Korpikoski start with the mens team next season? Is there allot of talk about him in Finland?

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Ola said:
Will Korpikoski start with the mens team next season? Is there allot of talk about him in Finland?

Korpikoski is a great player but IMO he will probably not play on the mens national team yet, i do not think he's ready

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
That is a tough one... TPS is my fave team and Mikko is my fave player so my homer answer would be Koivu, but Tukonen I think has a bigger upside so hmmmm tie lol

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
So you would still pick Tukonen over Koivu here ?

Is Koivu a safer pick while Tukonen having higher potential ?

Koivu has developed steadily, but at a fair pace at best - he is at Tukonen's mercy, so to speak. I wouldn't call Koivu the safer pick: Tukonen is less likely to make the NHL because he naturally has more development to go through. Still, they will both be NHL players and Tukonen stands the better chance of reaching an "adequate" level there as well as having the better upside. My vague point about Koivu's hockey sense was that in a best-case scenario it can take him onto a level Tukonen can't reach, although Tukonen could make up for it in other aspects of the game. Probably more easily, too.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Tukonen. Finland needs a player like him more.

Centre's under 27
Jokinen, Tuomo Ruutu, Mikko Koivu, Korpikoski if needed, Jarkko Immonen, Valtteri Filppula etc..

Mikko Koivu, though talented, has yet to seize a spot for himself on the team Finland of tomorrow whilst Tukonen's already seized it imho.

Mikko Koivu looks like to becomea poor man's version of Saku unless he develops more/faster, whilst Tukonen already is/will be something special by his own right.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Laituri said:
Koivu has developed steadily, but at a fair pace at best - he is at Tukonen's mercy, so to speak. I wouldn't call Koivu the safer pick: Tukonen is less likely to make the NHL because he naturally has more development to go through . Still, they will both be NHL players and Tukonen stands the better chance of reaching an "adequate" level there as well as having the better upside. My vague point about Koivu's hockey sense was that in a best-case scenario it can take him onto a level Tukonen can't reach, although Tukonen could make up for it in other aspects of the game. Probably more easily, too.

Man I'm confused. Could you clarify this sentence in bold for me. Thanks.

Oh, and I forgot to say thank IFK for his reply in the "other" Tukonen thread. :D

Last edited:

TWS

Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
KINGLEWOOD said:
I've never seen any of the two play, but I'm sure us Kings fans are in for a treat on 7/12 the Kings prospect camp starts and Tukonen is expected to attend. There will be more opinions on him from the Kings staff and fans as soon as we see him in the scrimages.

Check the Kings message board for more info.

REALLY!!?? Because if he is going that would make my day. I was going to go anyway but if he is there it will make me want to go even more.

Mr.Brownov*

Tukonen is close to being NHL ready at his age.Their are questions still surrounding Koivu's potential.Lauri it is!

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Man I'm confused. Could you clarify this sentence in bold for me. Thanks.

But of course. It means Koivu has lived and developed from the age of 18 to 21 without ceasing to develop, losing his confidence, spontaniously combusting or something equally bad happening to his career prospects. Tukonen is only 17, so he still has a chance (albeit a very small one) of going bust during said years of age.

Although many consider Tukonen NHL ready, Koivu is closer.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Laituri said:
But of course. It means Koivu has lived and developed from the age of 18 to 21 without ceasing to develop, losing his confidence, spontaniously combusting or something equally bad happening to his career prospects. Tukonen is only 17, so he still has a chance (albeit a very small one) of going bust during said years of age.

Although many consider Tukonen NHL ready, Koivu is closer.

Thank you very much. Tis' clear now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->