Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sergachev as a Deker is near the top among dmen already, with the likes of Klingberg Karlsson and Orlov. Imo.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think he was great this series. Very solid defensively, and was creative in the offensive zone. Honestly - outside of Hedman (who had some stinkers but also some great games), I think he was our second best D this playoff.

I look forward to seeing him in a bigger role next year.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I think he was great this series. Very solid defensively, and was creative in the offensive zone. Honestly - outside of Hedman (who had some stinkers but also some great games), I think he was our second best D this playoff.

I look forward to seeing him in a bigger role next year.

Yeah, he was excellent this series and pretty darn good over the others too. His defensive game has improved considerably and he was starting to get his offensive confidence back. I hope he moves into solid 2nd pair ice time. Funny how Sergy also seemed to bring out the best in Coburn. Haven't seen Coby play that well in a looong time. :laugh:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
For being a rookie, he played pretty well this series. Still a few lapses... but what players our the team didn't have any? He can only get better. His offensive instincts are pretty damn good too.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Just because he didn't get on the scoresheet during the last series, doesn't mean he was ineffective. He's supposed to be a defenseman first and he did pretty well considering his age and the pressure of a ECF. Yes, he still makes rookie mistakes and I wish he'd pursue the puck a little more against the boards sometimes, but if you look at his entire series, he's made tremendous progress from that kid fresh from juniors at the beginning of the year.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He was one of the rare Tampa players to move the puck without being utterly overwhelmed by Washington's forecheck. His sense of anticipation has gotten impressive, he knew where his partners were, when and where to clear the puck. That might have been the only true bright side during this series, but Sergachev is a legit one.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He was one of the rare Tampa players to move the puck without being utterly overwhelmed by Washington's forecheck. His sense of anticipation has gotten impressive, he knew where his partners were, when and where to clear the puck. That might have been the only true bright side during this series, but Sergachev is a legit one.
His in-zone coverage also improved significantly. During the cycle he was looking for where he needed to be instead of just skating toward the front of the net. He was finding who to cover and covering them instead of occupying space (which he did early on in his time here). He was also pretty good at using his body to disrupt the cycle, although his board play does still need some work.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His in-zone coverage also improved significantly. During the cycle he was looking for where he needed to be instead of just skating toward the front of the net. He was finding who to cover and covering them instead of occupying space (which he did early on in his time here). He was also pretty good at using his body to disrupt the cycle, although his board play does still need some work.

His only obvious deficiency is strength, he's weak on the boards and can't outmuscle anybody off the puck but he is only 19.

Cooper's dumb drop pass half way up the ice messes with him too, plenty of times where Serg or anyone gets some steam and looks like he can take the offensive line, he turns the puck back and drops it to a guy going half as fast while the opposition has already moved in place.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
His only obvious deficiency is strength, he's weak on the boards and can't outmuscle anybody off the puck but he is only 19.

Cooper's dumb drop pass half way up the ice messes with him too, plenty of times where Serg or anyone gets some steam and looks like he can take the offensive line, he turns the puck back and drops it to a guy going half as fast while the opposition has already moved in place.
One of the dumbest things cooper implemented

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

That's exactly what I was going to answer. That being said, Mikhail has some nastiness in his game, the intention to be a mean mother***** is already palpable, and if he pumps some serious iron he's going to be a pain in the ass to play against in a few years.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
That's exactly what I was going to answer. That being said, Mikhail has some nastiness in his game, the intention to be a mean mother***** is already palpable, and if he pumps some serious iron he's going to be a pain in the ass to play against in a few years.
I love that about him. Even during the regular season you could see him getting under other players skin. He doesn't back down or take shit from people either. And he's only 19!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Montreals right now after the Drouin for Serg trade:

26b3dt.jpg

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
It's amazing how often he gets away with that little move he makes at the blueline all the time.
I always think, "Yeah. They are going to be ready for it this time. Nope. He did it again." It will bite him in the ass one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad