Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
The NBC coverage during that game was sickening. They slobbered all over McAvoy and barely gave any mention to Sergachev. Mc will be a good defenseman but Serg will be a great Norris caliber Dman and to not recognize that goes to show you the blinders the national networks still have with our players!

Reactions: Bolts265

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The NBC coverage during that game was sickening. They slobbered all over McAvoy and barely gave any mention to Sergachev. Mc will be a good defenseman but Serg will be a great Norris caliber Dman and to not recognize that goes to show you the blinders the national networks still have with our players!
NBCSN coverage will always suck for us - getting annoyed by it now is just lame.

And McAvoy played well - I get talking about him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Kinda showing blinders as well saying McAvoy is just good while sergachev will be "great norris caliber" when ones logging hedman type deployment as a 19 year old and the other is sheltered... Kid played 28 minutes last game and looked good at that - I get the hype.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They will always hype the bigger markets. Guaranteed if Point or Sergachev played for original 6 team they would be the next big stars of the league.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
They will always hype the bigger markets. Guaranteed if Point or Sergachev played for original 6 team they would be the next big stars of the league.

Yet we have one of the biggest stars/name in the league?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yet we have one of the biggest stars/name in the league?

Not saying small markets don’t have stars or big names. Just saying that big markets and original six teams will always hype players to star status more so than smaller market.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
McAvoy and Sergachev will both be stud defensemen for many years - I see no issue with hyping either up. McAvoy is an American kid who had his coming out party on the National stage in the playoffs last year, hence the TV hype.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Sergachev is definitely getting national attention and Bruins fans are quite impressed, McAvoy is already the #1 D on Boston though 26 games into his career, and that's with Chara still capable of being a #1 for them.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
That is one dang amazing kid! Some Habs fans were saying that he had a big ego but in every interview he's given, Sergachev has been very humble. Confident in his skills, yes, but still knowing that he's got a lot more to learn. I noticed during Development Camp that he was actually harder on himself than the coaches at times. He really wants to be the best and is willing to work very hard to get there. He learns so dang fast!

And I really like what he says - not just in this interview but in others as well - about playing with and learning from Strålman. :D

I agree with Serge and his confidence being just that...and NOT ego.

He also carries with him an attitude of "not gonna take crap from anyone" and because he is still so young, some people might construe that as "ego" or cockiness.
I think that attitude will serve him well as long as he stays grounded in reality, remains coachable and is willing to learn from his veteran teammates....all of which he seems to be doing.

If there was one thing I have found missing from the Bolts over the last several years is a bonafide, real swagger to the team....Sergachev brings a bit of that and I like it.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Edit: Careless post superstitiously deleted for fear of a jinx.

Last edited:

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I was really surprised by how good his English is during the intermission interview since he's only been in NA since 2015. Read an interview with him and apparently he's currently studying to get a law degree through the season because he wants security for his future outside of hockey which is pretty impressive for a 19 year old. Seems like an intelligent and mature young man both on and off the ice.

Reactions: Netter

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Played over 19 minuets tonight. He’s a legit top 4 Dman......NOW. Skills are elite.

He is not a legit top 4 yet. He is sheltered by stralman and frequently looks lost in his own zone. This is fine, he is 19. And, his offensive skills are outstanding. Great young player, but stralman is doing him a lot of favors.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He is not a legit top 4 yet. He is sheltered by stralman and frequently looks lost in his own zone. This is fine, he is 19. And, his offensive skills are outstanding. Great young player, but stralman is doing him a lot of favors.
Honestly, I think if we ran with him he'd be a capable top 4 right now. But I think doing so would expose him and perhaps cap him at a top 4 instead of letting him grow into being a #1 that he is capable of being.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
My impression from watching the game live yesterday is this. Sergachev is a big mean aggressive highly skilled D. He stood out as the most aggressive player on the ice. He doesn't take any bull from anyone. He knows he is bigger, stronger and faster - and it shows. He could handle 22 min a game if given a chance. Those minutes would come with a lot of mistakes. Sergachev's weakness is positioning. He doesn't have the IQ and maturity of my boy Provorov, and guys like McAvoy, Slavin and Werensi. But he's a different player all together. He is one mean dude. And yeah, maturity and experience will come. Can't teach size and attitude, however. Montreal management are such dumbsh*ts.

Reactions: Netter

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Stralman is definitely the perfect partner for him. Let's him take risks and to see what he can get away with at the NHL level. For me, his shot is definitely the most exciting tool he has. Nobody else on the team has that combination of torque and accuracy from the point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he might already be a top-4 by default. We have a pretty good defense right now, and when you start thinking about them, depth-wise, it's hard to rank Sergachev any lower than #4.

1. Hedman
2. Stralman
3. ?Coburn?
4. Sergachev
5. Dotchin
6. Girardi

A lot of those are interchangeable. But I'm not buying Dotchin over Serg right now. Not even too sure about Coburn over Serg.

I guess really we're Hedman, Stralman, and then a committee of guys that can play their part.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Stralman really does need some praise. He's such a perfect pairing partner that can allow his team mate to take some risks because he'll have them covered. He was/is excellent with Hedman for the same reason.

Stralman is easily our best FA signing in a long time

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Stralman is such a good defensive Dman. When he first came here, he was a bit more two-way. Now he's turned into Marc-Edward Vlasic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad